Ocelot Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
I am looking at kayak carts for a coosa hd
Looking at C-Tug and Booondox landing gear
Wondering how the c-tug does in sand?
Will the c-tug fit in the front or rear hatch while on the water? If not what do you do with it while on water?
The boondox would mount behind the seat which is probably behind the center of gravity, won't this add more weight I have to lift and is it significant?
Any comments about the 2 would be appreciated.

Re: Kayak cart [Re: Ocelot] #12862128 08/12/18 10:14 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have had both. I used a C-Tug with my Big Rig and it worked very well for that big boy. There's a trick to using a C-Tug where you set it off to the side, "7" on an imaginary clock face, pointing it toward "12." Then you align your kayak next to it . . . "12" at the bow, and "6" at the stern. You simply pick the stern up and lift it on top of the C-Tug, then strap it on. This is much easier than lifting a kayak and trying to use a free hand to swing the cart into position. On a Big Rig, there are gunwale drains that make a perfect place to hold and tighten down the straps. You may have these on your Coosa HD, too. I'm not sure about whether the C-Tug will fit into the Coosa HD hatch. I'd imagine it would as it comes apart for this very purpose.

And, I have a Boonedox Landing Gear for my Native Propel 10 that I love. I can literally roll it up to and onto by track bed, off at the lake into the water, and off, repeat, go home. I've seen a Landing Gear on a Big Rig, looked great! Not certain about a Coosa HD, the mounting of one. But, if it can be mounted, it rocks! One tip that I have seen now repeatedly is that the screw down hardware to lock down the landing gears? Not needed. I took mine off. I just hang the wheels down to use them, pull them up where they lie on top of the gunwales while on the water. Mine have never budged. I DO take them off when I am on the road as I don't want them to "vibrate" off though I doubt this is an issue. Still, to be safe.

Sand? I rolled the 10 on a sandy beach this weekend several times with the Landing Gear. No issues to speak of. Crossing a beach to get to the surf? You are in for a workout, I suspect!

Brad

Re: Kayak cart [Re: Ocelot] #12875014 08/24/18 05:29 AM
O
Ocelot Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
My C-Tug with Sand Trakz tires came in so took my coosa hd to Avalon park on lake lavon.
Loaded up with all my gear at truck, put on cart and walked it down the ramp. Took wheels off and top pads < 30 seconds and put them all in the front hatch.
When done reversed the process.

No problem taking loaded up coose hd up or down the ramp with cart.
Worked like a charm.

Re: Kayak cart [Re: Ocelot] #12885412 09/03/18 03:48 AM
O
Ocelot Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
Fished the coves on each side of Clear Lake Park tonight trying to get some blue gills to go cat fishing with.
Wind was supposed to be 8-11 but was over 15 when I got there.
Could not get any bites.
Just as well as wind really picked up to point I could not even make headway against it in my kayak.
All the boats were also pulling off the lake.
Angled my boat slightly off head to wind and the waves pushed me across the cove as I tried to not loose any ground. Like the ferry on the Russian river in Alaska, or riding a standing wave in a river.
Glad I went with the c-tug as I opened my front hatch, pulled my cart out, put my boat on it and rolled it up the bank and back to my truck.
Not having the cart with me would have made for a tough pull up to the parking lot.

If looking for a cart I would encourage getting one you can have with you on the boat just in case.

Re: Kayak cart [Re: Ocelot] #12904956 09/19/18 11:55 PM
Z
ZzzKing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
C-Tug breaks down easily and fits into my front hatch if I want. The 7 oclock method described above works well but I have never heard it described that way before.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide