Print Thread
Bucket List Evening at Sabine #12903693 09/18/18 10:40 PM
J
JackCaster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Wow!! What else can you say when you have trouble keeping the 30" Redfish off your tails while trying to catch slot fish for the livewell?
My buddy Randy and I got down to the Sabine Pass Motel about 6pm last Friday just after the storms had blown through. Sweat was dripping, mosquitoes were swarming, water was running, air was heavy and still. The 24' Pure Bay was chompin' at the bit to get wet so we did what any red blooded angler would do... we went fishing. The tide was going out and some of our spots from previous trips would have moving water so we were guardedly hopeful that the fish would be around. The previous few days had been very rainy so there would be lots of fresh water in the marshes to empty out. Only one truck and trailer was parked by the ramp so we were not very optimistic that the fishing would be any good but we charged ahead anyway wanting to get on the ICW and open up the 'Zuk. Backing in was seamless, the big 250 fired on the first spin, I parked truck and hopped aboard. A few little securing tackle tasks then it was life jackets on and we were off.
Not a minute into the run, Randy spotted pelicans and shore birds going crazy diving into a full running marsh drain right off the channel. No boats were in sight (other than a massive LNG tanker) so we shut down the 'Zuk and coasted in for a closer look. Guys and gals, I cannot accurately describe the site but I will try. The baitfish of all kinds were stacked right up into the draining marsh ditch and the reds were having a feast charging through the shallow water eating whatever could not get out of their way. And not just a few reds. The water was thrashing and bait were flying like often happens on Texoma or Tawakoni with striper and sandies. Only these were huge redfish! Randy and I were both shaking with excitement when we pulled out our favorite rods and started casting into the fracas. Second cast, FISH ON! A big red screamed off drag on the 3000 series President. First comment was "Holy &^%$", second was "get the net", third was "I can't control this damn fish." But, after a 4-5 minute or so fight, Randy got him close and I got a net under him. 33", 12lb redfish. That was how we spent our next 2 hours. Every one or two casts one of us had a fish on. Often, we both had fish on and more often than not, they were overs. It became a challenge to net your own fish because the other guy was usually hooked up and couldn't (or wouldn't... lol) help! We used Trout Support tails in purple/chart, a bone Spook, gold Kastmasters, big RattleTraps and even a few of those lures with foul hooked live bait. All baits caught fish. It was easily the biggest large fish eruption I have ever fished and what an absolute blast! I'll post a couple of pics but don't yell too much...we spent more time fishing than stopping to pull out the iphone. By dark, the wind had totally died and when the lights turned on, so did the 'skeeters. Deepwoods Off did not phase these swarming big fellows so we secured everything and left them biting... fish and 'skeeters! I would never think I would be happy to be done fishing but I was whipped. We did not count fish but we had to have caught at least 15 apiece and the biggest topped 15lbs. I have to admit, when you catch that many +10lb'ers, it wears you down. I was past cocky and more than ready to get back to the Taj... er, Sabine Pass Motel for some R/R. We fished Saturday until about 2 and put 3 in the cooler then took the rest of the day off. Dinner was nice and well deserved back in Port Arthur at the Texas Roadhouse. Went back out early Sunday morning and found 3 more back in a marsh off the Intracoastal. Snagged a gator on that adventure but I'll post about that one later (little video to go with it). We did a quick washdown to get the fish slime, blood, fish poop, bugs and salt slime out of the boat, loaded up and back to big D in time to see the Cowboys finally win a game. Great weekend with my bestest bud Randy. Equipment all worked as planned and trip was by all accounts... a success!!

Last edited by JackCaster; 09/18/18 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: Bucket List Evening at Sabine [Re: JackCaster] #12903883 09/19/18 01:40 AM
J
JackCaster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
any help with pics would be appreciated. my png files wont upload

Re: Bucket List Evening at Sabine [Re: JackCaster] #12904371 09/19/18 03:45 PM
J
JackCaster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J

Re: Bucket List Evening at Sabine [Re: JackCaster] #12904402 09/19/18 04:04 PM
J
JackCaster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J

Re: Bucket List Evening at Sabine [Re: JackCaster] #12904426 09/19/18 04:22 PM
J
JackCaster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J

Last edited by JackCaster; 09/19/18 10:57 PM.
Re: Bucket List Evening at Sabine [Re: JackCaster] #12904576 09/19/18 06:17 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Great story.... really enjoyed it.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Bucket List Evening at Sabine [Re: JackCaster] #12905220 09/20/18 04:59 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice post and fish. Thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide