Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I suck at fishing [Re: 39Jason] #12897310 09/12/18 11:19 PM
Bruce Allen Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
sounds like you are mostly using saltwater baits in freshwater

you should be catching the heck out of catfish with those baits so go to the catfish board and ask

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: 39Jason] #12897506 09/13/18 02:21 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
If you had a boat I would say hire a guide on the lake you plan to fish the most. Will learn a lot and a couple of places to fish.
If you can go with someone who is successful bank fishing do that.
Try to locate a place with high probability of catching fish from asking on the forum.
It may take you a bit to just get comfortable with setting up and using gear, once you get through that, you will be putting more of your time into actual fishing rather than getting ready to and untangling line.

Start off with something easy like perch or catfish. Get used to catching fish.
Small community lakes/ponds or even pay ponds(they only stay in business if people are catching fish) are a great place to go catch some fish.
Remember you will have good periods and bad periods and those bad periods may last a while.
When going through a tough period, use the forums to find out what other anglers are doing to catch fish.

For me, I really just enjoy being outside on the water and catching fish is a nice bonus.

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: dmunsie] #12897881 09/13/18 03:17 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: dmunsie
Originally Posted By: Indianation65
I have had a terrible 2018 year of fishing, skunked right and left, and still fishing the same way I was last year, which was a decent year. I was/am so frustrated that I decided to "NOT" renew my license, and simply take a year off and focus on other things.

This is the point where I would suggest opening up your mind to other fishing opportunities that Texas gives us. When I moved from Bass (lure) fishing to bottom fishing, my entire fishing world basically exploded over night. Just by throwing out a few handfuls of sweet corn and then placing several on a small hook, casting it out on the bottom, I was quickly introduced to the world of "rough fishing". I remember being shocked, amazed, etc, at how many fish I was now catching, and the variety of fish was incredible as I was now catching panfish, catfish, carp, and even the occasional bass! Seriously...all this from just using sweet corn at my usual places to fish. I then started researching rough fish in the dfw area and again...was amazed by the diversity of fish available to be caught. I went back to a few ponds I used to fish at, this time I put bread on the hook and bam...I was catching 10-15lb Carp on a regular basis! For a few months, I exclusively used bread and sweet corn as bait. I would sometimes make "bread bombs" which had a handful of sweet corn wrapped around the bread and I would throw these out to attract the fish. I started fishing the various spillways of the Trinity River and things kicked up a notch quickly. I started catching more fish, bigger fish. "Buffalo" was a new species caught and that rocked my world big time. One day I put the head of a sunfish on a hook, threw in the river and caught this prehistoric monster...it was called a Longnose Gar..again...my fishing world rocked. More research, more tactics learned, etc, etc. I invested in better gear, etc, etc. Milestones were made, 20lb fish, 30lb, 40lb. Now days my tactics are a bit more refined, sophisticated, etc , but I still occasionally enjoy the simplicity and tranquility of using just 1 rod and a few cans of sweet corn. If you ever want any advice, tips, etc, to get started on this potential new adventure in fishing, feel free to pm me. wink

This was my 2018 to a "T". I have 4 kids that want to fish. No patience for bass fishing from the banks so I got them hooked on Carp fishing. This also turned in to catfish. Just last Sunday we went out with 1 can of corn and caught 2 catfish and a 14 lb buffalo. All within an hour and a half. All my bass lure are gathering dust now. Having a blast catching rough fish.

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: 39Jason] #12898086 09/13/18 06:35 PM
I
Indianation65 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I
Thanks for the paragraph on page 4 Mr. dmunsie.

I will give bottom fishing a go. It's what I did as a kid, but bass fishing was my latest enthusiasm that crashed over the last year.

I figured I was not feeling the bites and setting hooks properly.

Addendum: I once saw a video of an older man describing how to read water, a large pond. It was very informative, but I cannot find it on youtube anymore. I'm guessing it's still there, but I do not know what the search title read at the time. I'm sure I stumbled on it and clicked.

He talked about time of day, wind, the layout of the bank, depth, everything about the "pond" was covered before he even talked about fishing.

Addendum II: Some skilled bank fisherman might want to do an new, 2018 version of "How to read a Pond" video for everyone to watch and learn.

...------

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: 39Jason] #12899506 09/14/18 10:43 PM
blackhorse Offline
Angler
Angler
I sucked last week got depressed and have been great at catching this week. Should be a name for this illness.

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: Indianation65] #12899808 09/15/18 05:45 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Indianation65
Thanks for the paragraph on page 4 Mr. dmunsie.

I will give bottom fishing a go. It's what I did as a kid, but bass fishing was my latest enthusiasm that crashed over the last year.

No problem, glad it might have rekindled some good memories as a kid. The cool thing about bottom fishing, if you invest in some "bite alarms" (research: "rod pod bite alarms" on google) you can still bring an extra rod, walk the banks and do some bass fishing. That's typically what I do now days. I'll setup 4 bottom fishing rods, bite alarms, and thx to a remote receiver that I carry with me, I can cast out for other fish and get notified when one of my bottom fishing lines gets a run. It's the best of both worlds. smile

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: JJ4MEL] #12899810 09/15/18 05:53 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: JJ4MEL
This was my 2018 to a "T". I have 4 kids that want to fish. No patience for bass fishing from the banks so I got them hooked on Carp fishing. This also turned in to catfish. Just last Sunday we went out with 1 can of corn and caught 2 catfish and a 14 lb buffalo. All within an hour and a half. All my bass lure are gathering dust now. Having a blast catching rough fish.

Awesome! smile Yah....the simplicity of it is what makes it fun when you're rough fishing! I also target Carp, Buffalo and Catfish. Now days I make custom packbait (chum) and I primarily use flavored deer corn (maize) on a "hair rig". I occasionally use "boilies" for Carp/Buffalo. For Catfish I still use "European Fishing Methods" but I use more fishy smelling baits such as halibut pellets, tuna boilies, etc. I've caught a couple nice Buffalo on the catfish baits recently, so that's made me re-think strategies for Buffalo. Good times. smile

Re: I suck at fishing [Re: 39Jason] #12900078 09/15/18 06:23 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Fayette county lake usually cures this.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide