Print Thread
Lowrance update #12874590 08/23/18 09:08 PM
J
Jones Trolling Motor Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Just a heads up. Lowrance issued another update that is good for the Carbons, Gen3, Elite TIs. According to Lowrence:
New Features

Genesis Live mapping
Smartphone notifications*
Yamaha Integration (Phase 2)
Evinrude Engine Integration
Fusion Ethernet Support*
*HDS Carbon only
John

[Linked Image]
www.jonestrollingmotor.com
texarkana, Ark/Tx
Re: Lowrance update [Re: Jones Trolling Motor] #12874846 08/24/18 02:08 AM
B
bronco71 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
cheers

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Lowrance update [Re: Jones Trolling Motor] #12878321 08/27/18 08:07 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I tested the new software update this weekend on my Carbon units, no problems.

Rob Jasper
Re: Lowrance update [Re: Jones Trolling Motor] #12890977 09/07/18 10:02 PM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Am I the last to discover that the last Lowrance update (4.5 I think) for Gen3, etc. disables some Navionics mapping features that were previously available?

Fishing ranges, Shallow water, contour density, and maybe other features are disabled unless a Navionics subscription is active.

If I'm not mistaken these features were available prior to this "upgrade" without an active Navionics subscription.

Have tried and have not been able to find a way to reinstall the prior Lowrance software version to hopefully restore availability of the features without a subscription - I guess it's checking the install image and preventing install of older versions. How thoughtful.

I

Re: Lowrance update [Re: OldChamp] #12891634 09/08/18 03:23 PM
M
MAK747 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: OldChamp
Am I the last to discover that the last Lowrance update (4.5 I think) for Gen3, etc. disables some Navionics mapping features that were previously available?

Fishing ranges, Shallow water, contour density, and maybe other features are disabled unless a Navionics subscription is active.

If I'm not mistaken these features were available prior to this "upgrade" without an active Navionics subscription.

Have tried and have not been able to find a way to reinstall the prior Lowrance software version to hopefully restore availability of the features without a subscription - I guess it's checking the install image and preventing install of older versions. How thoughtful.

I

I cant remember what version those features were removed, but it seems like it was prior to 4.5. You should be able to revert back to the image you were previously running if you remember what version it was.

Re: Lowrance update [Re: MAK747] #12892066 09/08/18 11:19 PM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: MAK747

I

I cant remember what version those features were removed, but it seems like it was prior to 4.5. You should be able to revert back to the image you were previously running if you remember what version it was.

I have the two updates prior to the last saved on my computer. But my HDS Gen3 refuses to boot from it to install the older update. I suspect the system checks the currently installed version and will not boot and install an older update. IMO - if this is the case then it appears its a means to "encourage" a Navionics subscription to continue use of prior available and paid for features.

I've paid for Navionics subsciptions twice in the past at different times - but both times found their data updates to be of limited value to me - so no plan to resubscribe.

If Navionics/Lowrance has disabled paid for features that were previously available without subscription and is preventing install of a previous update to restore the features - that's dirty pool and unethical.

I have read on other forums that they did disable the features. But It would be really interesting if someone with a Gen3 running a prior Lowrance software update with a Navionics+ card and no Navionics subscription to check if those features were enabled to be sure.

Last edited by OldChamp; 09/08/18 11:35 PM.

Re: Lowrance update [Re: OldChamp] #12893506 09/10/18 12:39 AM
Jason Gilstrap Offline
Mr. Lowrance
Mr. Lowrance
Lowrance software updates are free and has nothing to do with Navionics subscription..Navionics is a separate company from Lowrance/Navico.

Jason Gilstrap LOWRANCE PRO STAFF / Get A Limit Outdoors www.getalimitoutdoors.com
Re: Lowrance update [Re: OldChamp] #12893933 09/10/18 01:38 PM
M
MAK747 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: MAK747

I

I have the two updates prior to the last saved on my computer. But my HDS Gen3 refuses to boot from it to install the older update. I suspect the system checks the currently installed version and will not boot and install an older update. IMO - if this is the case then it appears its a means to "encourage" a Navionics subscription to continue use of prior available and paid for features.

I've paid for Navionics subsciptions twice in the past at different times - but both times found their data updates to be of limited value to me - so no plan to resubscribe.

If Navionics/Lowrance has disabled paid for features that were previously available without subscription and is preventing install of a previous update to restore the features - that's dirty pool and unethical.

I have read on other forums that they did disable the features. But It would be really interesting if someone with a Gen3 running a prior Lowrance software update with a Navionics+ card and no Navionics subscription to check if those features were enabled to be sure.

Go into the files menu of the HDS and select the software on the SD card that you would like to load. If that doesn't work, try renaming the file by adding ".auto" and see if it will load the older version.

EXAMPLE:
(original) HDS_Gen3-1.5-51.1.69-r-Standard-1.upd
(updated) HDS_Gen3-1.5-51.1.69-r-Standard-1.auto.upd

Last edited by MAK747; 09/10/18 04:09 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide