Forums59
Topics1,038,955
Posts13,956,365
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Peepaw on Fork] #12875716 08/24/18 08:00 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Peepaw on Fork
She's out there somewhere and will be caught on live bait.

I'm with Peepaw but I think percentage wise it's less than 30% there's one out there. Probably be another Barry St. Clair that catches her if there is one.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875737 08/24/18 08:18 PM
L
Lil joe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Itll be caught eventually by a crappie fisherman reeling in a crappie. I bet theres more of them around than many people think

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Huckleberry] #12875749 08/24/18 08:28 PM
machinist Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
[quote=Huckleberry]I believe the record may have lived right here in Twin Oaks Reservoir. This reservoir was built over 30 years ago for a power plant that was mothballed shortly after construction began. The plant finally got built 20 years later finishing in 2009. The rumor is that this lake was originally planned to be open to the public and was part of the florida large mouth stocking. Turns out this lake was never opened to the public and still is off limits today. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that know more about it than I do. I have spoke with a few of the locals near this lake that used to sneak in and fish it and they had many stories to tell about some huge fish they caught there. Being such a small reservoir, I'm not sure what the hot water discharge has done to the fish.

I worked for the power company for 28 years and then 7 more as a contractor. There were probably 20 years where there was hardly anyone ever there except security and I know that they fished it a lot. I made a few trips down there during that time looking at equipment that was stored onsite. The guards told me that the biggest they had caught was around 12lbs. I also had a Fluor supervisor tell me he caught 12lbs on back to back casts on a topwater. The lake doesn't have much of a watershed so they pump water from Lake Limestone to keep it full.

Last edited by machinist; 08/24/18 08:29 PM.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: machinist] #12875752 08/24/18 08:33 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: machinist
[quote=Huckleberry]I believe the record may have lived right here in Twin Oaks Reservoir. This reservoir was built over 30 years ago for a power plant that was mothballed shortly after construction began. The plant finally got built 20 years later finishing in 2009. The rumor is that this lake was originally planned to be open to the public and was part of the florida large mouth stocking. Turns out this lake was never opened to the public and still is off limits today. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that know more about it than I do. I have spoke with a few of the locals near this lake that used to sneak in and fish it and they had many stories to tell about some huge fish they caught there. Being such a small reservoir, I'm not sure what the hot water discharge has done to the fish.

I worked for the power company for 28 years and then 7 more as a contractor. There were probably 20 years where there was hardly anyone ever there except security and I know that they fished it a lot. I made a few trips down there during that time looking at equipment that was stored onsite. The guards told me that the biggest they had caught was around 12lbs. I also had a Fluor supervisor tell me he caught 12lbs on back to back casts on a topwater. The lake doesn't have much of a watershed so they pump water from Lake Limestone to keep it full.

Ha ha, I work for Fluor and I was on that project. So you know Terry Shipley? He babysat the parts for 20 years ... what a job he had!

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Chris G] #12875761 08/24/18 08:41 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I believe the record may have lived right here in Twin Oaks Reservoir. This reservoir was built over 30 years ago for a power plant that was mothballed shortly after construction began. The plant finally got built 20 years later finishing in 2009. The rumor is that this lake was originally planned to be open to the public and was part of the florida large mouth stocking. Turns out this lake was never opened to the public and still is off limits today. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that know more about it than I do. I have spoke with a few of the locals near this lake that used to sneak in and fish it and they had many stories to tell about some huge fish they caught there. Being such a small reservoir, I'm not sure what the hot water discharge has done to the fish.

If it's been hot water for that long then I doubt there's any real giants (12+) in there. The heat causes the fish's metabolism to run so fast so long they don't live long enough to get to true giant status. Great example is Monticello. Over the last 8 years I know of exactly 2 verifiable fish over 10# to come out of there and nothing 11+. And Monti has the highest % of Florida alleles of any lake managed by TPWD today.

Lake Record for Monticello is 14.09 lbs.So it's possible, but unlikely.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: RudiTexas] #12875767 08/24/18 08:53 PM
A
aggieangler03 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Originally Posted By: RudiTexas
Originally Posted By: aggieangler03
Originally Posted By: pil,b
I think it will come from a deep cold water lake. ( they live longer ) Is what Dave Campbell said years ago, and Alan Henry or PK would be my pick.

I saw one in PK before the golden algae years that looked like a submarine. She was in a little drain back in Bluff Creek. Crystal clear water and I watched my worm tap her on the nose on the fall and she just turned and slowly faded into the deep. Never seen another one close to that. No clue what she would have weighed but it was a lot.
some of those big fish survived the algae

Absolutely. It didnt kill them all. It wiped out the smallmouth though. I sure miss that.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: RTM] #12875780 08/24/18 09:10 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: RTM
What about Lake Naconiche? It was set up for big bass, excellent genetics. I think lake record is 14lb + so far.

That is correct. Current lake record is 14.12 caught in July of 2016. Lake was first stocked in 2009. My source at TFFC tells me there were quite a few "adult" fish placed into the lake at that time.

Nine year old lake, Florida bass, good cover... Could be numerous potential state records swimming around in there.

The trick is catching one of them elusive critters! Even in a small 40 acre private lake that is crammed full of bait with bass from royal bloodline and managed like no other I've ever heard of, 16 pounds is the biggest bang

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Chris G] #12875791 08/24/18 09:18 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I believe the record may have lived right here in Twin Oaks Reservoir. This reservoir was built over 30 years ago for a power plant that was mothballed shortly after construction began. The plant finally got built 20 years later finishing in 2009. The rumor is that this lake was originally planned to be open to the public and was part of the florida large mouth stocking. Turns out this lake was never opened to the public and still is off limits today. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that know more about it than I do. I have spoke with a few of the locals near this lake that used to sneak in and fish it and they had many stories to tell about some huge fish they caught there. Being such a small reservoir, I'm not sure what the hot water discharge has done to the fish.

If it's been hot water for that long then I doubt there's any real giants (12+) in there. The heat causes the fish's metabolism to run so fast so long they don't live long enough to get to true giant status. Great example is Monticello. Over the last 8 years I know of exactly 2 verifiable fish over 10# to come out of there and nothing 11+. And Monti has the highest % of Florida alleles of any lake managed by TPWD today.

Agreed.

And will add this. Any lake that has not been managed properly over the years will not be full of giants. It will most likely be full of 1-2 pound fish that are stunted and starving to death. Seen it many times.

People think that just because you dig a hole and stock it with Florida bass that in 10-15 years it will be full of DD's. Doesn't work that way ESPECIALLY with a 30 year old lake.

Last edited by Ken A.; 08/24/18 09:18 PM.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Ken A.] #12875840 08/24/18 10:06 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: RTM
What about Lake Naconiche? It was set up for big bass, excellent genetics. I think lake record is 14lb + so far.

That is correct. Current lake record is 14.12 caught in July of 2016. Lake was first stocked in 2009. My source at TFFC tells me there were quite a few "adult" fish placed into the lake at that time.

Nine year old lake, Florida bass, good cover... Could be numerous potential state records swimming around in there.

The trick is catching one of them elusive critters! Even in a small 40 acre private lake that is crammed full of bait with bass from royal bloodline and managed like no other I've ever heard of, 16 pounds is the biggest bang

I'm with you Ken, if Mike Frazier can't grow one a public lake doesn't have much a chance. The problems with public lakes that potentially could produce a new state record like Fork, PK, Falcon, TB, SR, etc. is pressure, competition for food, changes in water level, loss of spawning areas and did I mention pressure. Who knows how many of those 14-15 lb. bass caught in tournaments survived or learned their lesson about biting plastic worms. I believe, along with many others that once a bass reaches 8-9-10 lbs. they find it much easier to forage on crappie and they don't have to eat every day or ever come to shallow water and deal with all the noise and boat traffic. The 14 lb'er I caught had a crappie in her that was 9" long. The idea that a crappie fisherman would catch the next state record is not that far fetched when you think about it. Happened once already didn't it. thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875850 08/24/18 10:17 PM
Minner Bucket Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My dad swears he has seen the state record more than once on Amistad years ago.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875868 08/24/18 10:44 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Biggest I ever saw was on kurth around 2005-2007 when it peaked. It had been stocked 7-8 years previous and the lake at that time received virtually no pressure. It was a 600 acre bowl with matted hydrilla out to 22-23ft. Buddy found a 15+ that had been dead a while in that same time period. I personally know of 3 13+ and lots of 11-12's so the potential was there and with that much grass, endless hiding places. We saw some fish cruising in the clear water that were a step above the 13's we caught sight fishing.

Falcon could do it but it would have to have full pool for 4-5 years. We know that'll never happen.

Controlled environment of Camelot Bell seems to me to be best bet. Eventually it'll have that freak of nature that just exceeds all other fish

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875888 08/24/18 11:04 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Marine Creek, its a stocked lake..no pressure, no tournaments, and some big fish coming out of there
by everyday anglers. popcorn

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875908 08/24/18 11:28 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I have seen two World Record Bass on Lake Amistad. Every time I go, the spots get fished. She has showed up on down scan several times. I have mapped the areas very well and there is no question both ares 5 miles apart have the best irregular features on the lake. Both areas also have more than one 22 lb. Bass that live there. If I had not seen these two fish I would still say these are the two areas where the Lake Record lives. Other huge Bass are holding on the 100 ft. deep bluff walls all over Lake Amistad, just waiting for the big schools of Shad to swim along the wall day and night. They feed there, live there and never leave there to go to shallow water. They will move straight up and spawn on most any shelf or rock cropping at 20 ft..

Each of these huge Bass had stunned it's pray; one a 2 lb. Bass and the other a 2 lb. Shad. Both Bass used exactly the same method of finishing off it's pray. They were very close to the boat as I was using a Spook at day break and tried my best to snag the Shad and 2 lb. Bass in hopes she would eat it all. I missed on both occasions, as the Spook touched the Quivering Pray; but never stuck it. She then circled once, turned on her side taking the fish by the head and had no trouble choking it down. One did a little pounding motion on her side like a surf board skipping across the water, which helped her to swallow the big Shad.

I have hooked two Bass in Mexico on Lake Oviachic between 18 - 20 lbs. Neither of the fish would fit in a net too large to put in a rod box on a 21 ft. Skeeter. Both fish got off before I could bring them back to the boat for my partner to lip the fish. Very depressing trip when that happens. All you can do is get real drunk when you get back to the compound.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12876089 08/25/18 02:09 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
There are several public water bodies with State Record LMB in them. As already been stated Fork and Falcon are good bets. I would also add Amistad. Could also be others. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12876141 08/25/18 02:46 AM
C
Cheesehead Wes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Ive seen some fish that definetly have a chance in the next couple years. PK is going to be really special in the next few years.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide