Forums59
Topics1,039,196
Posts13,960,747
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875502 08/24/18 05:07 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
I voted Probably Not and I'll tell you why.

There seems to be a ceiling for largemouth bass in Texas around 16 pounds, even in HIGHLY managed private waters like Camelot Bell. I witnessed a fish twice at CB that I am certain was larger than the 15 I caught in Jan 2012. It was the same year in April. Saw her twice the same day but she would not take a bait. I actually believe she was post-spawn and simply resting & recooping. Was she over 18 pounds? Maybe... She was certainly longer than my 15 by a couple inches. However, I am afraid that even that window has closed.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing would make me prouder than for ANY lake in our Great State to produce a fish over 18#!!! Private land owners have been attempting to do it since the beginning of time and nobody has done it yet.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Texan Til I Die] #12875503 08/24/18 05:08 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
If Falcon could fill up and stay relatively full (85%+) for 9 or 10 years it would have a great shot at producing a new state record. It's hard to beat an 11 month growing season. It's also possible there's a world record somewhere in Mexico or Cuba right now. I wonder how many potential records have been netted and eaten in Mexico over the last 50 years?

"If Falcon could fill up and stay relatively full for 9 or 10 years" I would love nothing more than this, but this is dreaming big. Hahaha.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Huckleberry] #12875529 08/24/18 05:21 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I believe the record may have lived right here in Twin Oaks Reservoir. This reservoir was built over 30 years ago for a power plant that was mothballed shortly after construction began. The plant finally got built 20 years later finishing in 2009. The rumor is that this lake was originally planned to be open to the public and was part of the florida large mouth stocking. Turns out this lake was never opened to the public and still is off limits today. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that know more about it than I do. I have spoke with a few of the locals near this lake that used to sneak in and fish it and they had many stories to tell about some huge fish they caught there. Being such a small reservoir, I'm not sure what the hot water discharge has done to the fish.

If it's been hot water for that long then I doubt there's any real giants (12+) in there. The heat causes the fish's metabolism to run so fast so long they don't live long enough to get to true giant status. Great example is Monticello. Over the last 8 years I know of exactly 2 verifiable fish over 10# to come out of there and nothing 11+. And Monti has the highest % of Florida alleles of any lake managed by TPWD today.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875542 08/24/18 05:29 PM
R
RTM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
What about Lake Naconiche? It was set up for big bass, excellent genetics. I think lake record is 14lb + so far.

Skeeter ZX 200

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875544 08/24/18 05:31 PM
buda13 Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Yes! I think shes swimming around in Ray Roberts, probably never even seen a lure. cheers

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875588 08/24/18 06:07 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I think it will come from a deep cold water lake. ( they live longer ) Is what Dave Campbell said years ago, and Alan Henry or PK would be my pick.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875606 08/24/18 06:21 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The only place I think it is possible is Falcon and only if the right conditions hold for 5 or 6 years. Which is almost impossible.
I think our winters are just cold enough to keep the majority of fish from getting that big.
Are there 18 lb fish swimming in Fork? Most likely but there are very few and the odds of those fish being caught in a lake that big are astronomical.

The rancher/Dr. that has la pearla? lakes in south texas is probably the only one that has mild enough winters to have a chance. But I haven't heard much out of there. Drought has to be tough on him even though he has the means to pump in water.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: pil,b] #12875613 08/24/18 06:26 PM
A
aggieangler03 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Originally Posted By: pil,b
I think it will come from a deep cold water lake. ( they live longer ) Is what Dave Campbell said years ago, and Alan Henry or PK would be my pick.

I saw one in PK before the golden algae years that looked like a submarine. She was in a little drain back in Bluff Creek. Crystal clear water and I watched my worm tap her on the nose on the fall and she just turned and slowly faded into the deep. Never seen another one close to that. No clue what she would have weighed but it was a lot.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: 9094] #12875619 08/24/18 06:32 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: 9094
The only place I think it is possible is Falcon and only if the right conditions hold for 5 or 6 years. Which is almost impossible.
I think our winters are just cold enough to keep the majority of fish from getting that big.
Are there 18 lb fish swimming in Fork? Most likely but there are very few and the odds of those fish being caught in a lake that big are astronomical.

The rancher/Dr. that has la pearla? lakes in south texas is probably the only one that has mild enough winters to have a chance. But I haven't heard much out of there. Drought has to be tough on him even though he has the means to pump in water.

I haven't talked to the good doc in probably 6 months. Last I heard he had some salinity issues in La Perla that set him back a couple of years. He's gotten past them now, but it was a set back none-the-less. As far as I know Jalisco is still doing well. That lake is 4.5 years old now I think and should have 10lbers in it. (had 8lbers in it 1 year ago). In my opinion that might have one of the best shots. He can't fish it without TPWD for another 12 years or so. I image it'll hit peak potential in about 5 years if Gary is able to stomach the bill to keep her full of forage.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875624 08/24/18 06:34 PM
M
Marc-62 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
On the Rio Grande on the back side of Falcon Dam saw a school of Bass that probably went 10 to 12 lbs. each they where eating crawfish that where probably 8 inches long. Was using a Texas rig Berkley plum craw which they had no interest.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Chris G] #12875626 08/24/18 06:36 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I believe the record may have lived right here in Twin Oaks Reservoir. This reservoir was built over 30 years ago for a power plant that was mothballed shortly after construction began. The plant finally got built 20 years later finishing in 2009. The rumor is that this lake was originally planned to be open to the public and was part of the florida large mouth stocking. Turns out this lake was never opened to the public and still is off limits today. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that know more about it than I do. I have spoke with a few of the locals near this lake that used to sneak in and fish it and they had many stories to tell about some huge fish they caught there. Being such a small reservoir, I'm not sure what the hot water discharge has done to the fish.

If it's been hot water for that long then I doubt there's any real giants (12+) in there. The heat causes the fish's metabolism to run so fast so long they don't live long enough to get to true giant status. Great example is Monticello. Over the last 8 years I know of exactly 2 verifiable fish over 10# to come out of there and nothing 11+. And Monti has the highest % of Florida alleles of any lake managed by TPWD today.

It's only been hot since 2009. I think there could have been one there before that.

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875636 08/24/18 06:46 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Biggest I've ever seen, eye to eye, was in Waco last spring. A giant. If I actually new what I was looking at BEFORE I ran the boat in on her, I might have got to weigh it. But...I thought it was a freakin LOG! And I almost hit her. She swam under the boats bow and she was gone. I mean easily 14+. A record fish? Doubt it, but I will never know.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: aggieangler03] #12875656 08/24/18 07:05 PM
R
RudiTexas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: aggieangler03
Originally Posted By: pil,b

I saw one in PK before the golden algae years that looked like a submarine. She was in a little drain back in Bluff Creek. Crystal clear water and I watched my worm tap her on the nose on the fall and she just turned and slowly faded into the deep. Never seen another one close to that. No clue what she would have weighed but it was a lot.
some of those big fish survived the algae

Thanking the lord for another day on the water
Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Marc-62] #12875676 08/24/18 07:17 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
IMO, it will come from a new lake less than 15 years old. As a general rule the first 12 to 15 years of a new lake are the best years as the forage and the bass grow up together. The first generation of bass on a new lake have the best odds. There is a growing trend in Private Lakes to drain them after 15 years and start over. Lakes that are drained, reworked to add new habitat, new fertility by allowing them to go dry for months or a couple of years, with new genetics and forage are your best candidates. Having the lake in the southern 1/2 of the state to extend the growing season is a big plus.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: Texas State Record Largemouth Poll [Re: Jpurdue] #12875697 08/24/18 07:28 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I don’t think so. Amistad would be my pick if not private water.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide