texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Newbie Here #12841261 07/25/18 03:24 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
good afternoon everyone, brand new to the forum, howdy, and relatively new to kayak fishing, done it several times over the years but never had my own rig until now, Just recently, about 6 weeks ago bought my first kayak, a new old stock 2016 Jackson Kilroy, sit inside kayak, 12'-4" total length, about 31" wide, came loaded with a very comfortable seat, tons of accessories, rod holders, gear tracks, front deck, water bottle, etc... To say i am really happy with it would be a major understatement. Sincerely cannot remember being so jacked about a new hobby/past time. Really happy with my boat, tracks amazing, really comfortable paddling for all day trips, seems very fast, or my friends paddle really slow haha. i Live in Fort Worth, and have been going out to Eagle Mountain Lake to explore and fish the north end, paddling up the trinity and fishing along the way. Several 5 to 8 hour trips already and having a blast.

Anybody have any tips, comments, advise, rants, etc for me. Any experience with he Jackson kilroy? what mods and add ons do i need? currently only using a yakgear crate with rod holders, cooler, anchor with bouy, & a paddle leash. Slowly adding stuff as neeed. What carriers are guys using on these style yaks? i have been transporting upside down on my roof rack, on foam blocks and strapped down with NRS straps. Works great and is very secure but curious what a better option for a carrier would be? Also wondering what cart would be best suited for this hull style? i Need to buy one soon so i can check out other areas.

Sorry lots of random questions in this post, drop me a line if you want to point me in the right direction on this stuff.

Ray
Re: Newbie Here [Re: YakfishinTx81] #12842215 07/26/18 02:52 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Welcome to the plastic navy. C-Tug kayak carts get very good reviews. I have a Lowrance sonar unit that I run off a deer feeder battery, it can be pretty useful. Assuming you don't have a pickup truck to use a bed extender with. I sometimes use a bed extender but usually use a Malone Microsport trailer with a retractible tongue. I can stand it up on its back end and still get my truck in the garage.

Re: Newbie Here [Re: Tallgrass05] #12842950 07/26/18 07:25 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Tallgrass, thank you sir, Plastic Navy - that's great haha, C-tug cart looks like it may be the ticket for my yak. A buddy gave me a cart he bought off amazon before he installed the boondocks landing gear, gonna see how this free one works for now. I'm sure i will want to upgrade before long. cheers

Ray
Re: Newbie Here [Re: YakfishinTx81] #12869849 08/20/18 06:58 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Yakfish,

Congrats on a fine boat.
I just got the coosa HD this week.
Love it.
What a joy to be in.
Jackson really does fishing kayaks right.

I just tried out a very crude home made stake out pole. Wanted something to quickly hold me so I can use the fly rod before sunrise in the shallow to throw some deer hair divers. Made the topwater fishing so much easier. no longer worrying about drifting to close or drifting too far. Can concentrate on fishing rather than be distrated and compromised by boat drifting.

I am on the verge of purchasing the ctug cart and really like it will fold up and fit in the front hatch plus great reviews.

I got a hand held fish finder which uses a wireless connection to the transducer.
I can now see what the bottom looks like and where the fish are, bad part is for all the fish I see it can be frustating when not getting any bites.
Has helped me locate and catch a lot of fish.
4 AAA Batteries and one button type battery for the transducer easily last 30+ hours.
Do not have all the features of the larger units but no messing with charging batteries, waterproof in included case and no need to mount anything.
If you have a smart phone then you have the gps capabilities there and some units use your phone for the display.

Also look into a flag/light to help with being seen by boaters. I got the YakGear VisiCarbon pro. Really like that flag doubles as bag and 4ft carbon mast breaks apart with parts bungied together so will not loose a piece. Plus it floats.

Best of luck.
Ever interested in fishing lake lavon, pm me.

Re: Newbie Here [Re: Ocelot] #12872903 08/22/18 03:34 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Rhanks for the reply, i love my Jackson for sure. it has given me a ton of enjoyment this summer. i would definitely be interested in checking out Lake Lavon sometime, sounds like a good time. banana

The Brazos river has been my new favorite place. Cheers

Ray
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide