Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Questions on Electronics features? #12867185 08/17/18 12:00 PM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I'm considering upgrades to graphs in the 5" to 7" range.

In order of importance for casual Bass fishing mostly in 12 ft or less, how do you rate Chirp, Down Scan, Side Imaging?

Which is more important, Plotting or maps?

Is Down Scan very useful on the Bow in 12ft or less?

Is it necessary to have 2 Transducers with Side Imaging in order to get depth readings on plane?

What new products and features are coming out with new models?[color:#FF0000][/color]

Prepare for the future-it will be here tomorrow.
Personal Best Large Mouth Bass 9 lbs. 12 oz 5/13/19.
Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12867503 08/17/18 04:29 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If you go to SI, the larger the screen the better. If you are shooting a beam out 70' to each side of your boat, that is 140' on your screen. Imagine the size of a bass from 70' and you can see why a larger screen is preferred. Finding structure is much easier but still larger is better.

For me order of importance is Side Imaging, Down imaging then Chirp. Maps are more important than plotting to me especially if you fish multiple lakes.
Yes Down imaging works well at 12' and less.
There are some factors involved in the transducer. My last boat wasn't all that fast and the way the SI transducer was mounted, I did not need another transducer mounted inside the boat. Generally speaking though, yes you will need a 2D transducer mounted inside to get high speed readings. I don't use one as I am not searching for fish at high speeds and from underwater dangers, it would only tell me what I had just hit. I rely on map cards and knowing when it is time to idle.

Right now Humminbird Mega units are the best SI on the market. Garmin just released new technology in some of their units that is close to watching a tv screen and seeing the activity in the water while fishing. IMO Lowrance has the best 2D and DI. You would have to research each brand as some of them don't come with everything in the box and you will have to add things to get the best stuff out there. Humminbird for example has everything for their unit in the box with the exception of needing to do a trade in on the transducer for a trolling motor mounted one.

Another consideration is your trolling motor. If you ever want to get one that links to your fish finder then that is a consideration that you would have to consider.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: Bobby Milam] #12868016 08/18/18 12:22 AM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
If you go to SI, the larger the screen the better. If you are shooting a beam out 70' to each side of your boat, that is 140' on your screen. Imagine the size of a bass from 70' and you can see why a larger screen is preferred. Finding structure is much easier but still larger is better.

For me order of importance is Side Imaging, Down imaging then Chirp. Maps are more important than plotting to me especially if you fish multiple lakes.
Yes Down imaging works well at 12' and less.
There are some factors involved in the transducer. My last boat wasn't all that fast and the way the SI transducer was mounted, I did not need another transducer mounted inside the boat. Generally speaking though, yes you will need a 2D transducer mounted inside to get high speed readings. I don't use one as I am not searching for fish at high speeds and from underwater dangers, it would only tell me what I had just hit. I rely on map cards and knowing when it is time to idle.

Right now Humminbird Mega units are the best SI on the market. Garmin just released new technology in some of their units that is close to watching a tv screen and seeing the activity in the water while fishing. IMO Lowrance has the best 2D and DI. You would have to research each brand as some of them don't come with everything in the box and you will have to add things to get the best stuff out there. Humminbird for example has everything for their unit in the box with the exception of needing to do a trade in on the transducer for a trolling motor mounted one.

Another consideration is your trolling motor. If you ever want to get one that links to your fish finder then that is a consideration that you would have to consider.

Thanks Bobby.

I'm looking at a Lowrance Hook2 5 series with Chirp, DI, Nav maps, and GPS to put on the bow.

Will the Navionics maps and GPS allow me to see where I'm positioned on the Graph?

I'm considering the same unit for the console with SI. I"m looking at Lowrance because of the price range with the Nav maps and not considering a link with the TM.

Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868025 08/18/18 12:28 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If it has GPS and mapping then you will get a colored screen of a map showing you your location, waypoints and tracks. If you google navionics web app you will get a working map that is the same as a navionics card. You can see everything that would show on your lake minus your own trails and waypoints. I'm not familiar with Lowrance but I believe that is a popular unit.

Consider linking the two units together if that is an option that way they can share waypoints

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868156 08/18/18 02:14 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: retdbasser
I'm considering upgrades to graphs in the 5" to 7" range.

In order of importance for casual Bass fishing mostly in 12 ft or less, how do you rate Chirp, Down Scan, Side Imaging?

Which is more important, Plotting or maps?

Is Down Scan very useful on the Bow in 12ft or less?

Is it necessary to have 2 Transducers with Side Imaging in order to get depth readings on plane?

What new products and features are coming out with new models?[color:#FF0000][/color]

Side scan is most important to me because I can see more when looking around. I would get atleast a 7 in screen though. I've used my dad's boat with his hds 7 and it worked fine for looking. I would want a unit that will accept a map card. It will make it a lot easier to find stuff. Yes, down scan is useful in 12ft. If you put up a screen that shows 2d and down scan it helps to interpret what's down there. Depending on the transducer you get and how you mount it will be if you need 2 different ones. I will be really honest though, I have the in hull and I dont think it's really that useful on plane. So if your wanting to save a little I would skip that. Also, look on BBC at the different electronic forums and in the classifieds for a used unit. You can find some good deals

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: Bobby Milam] #12868343 08/18/18 12:50 PM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
If it has GPS and mapping then you will get a colored screen of a map showing you your location, waypoints and tracks. If you google navionics web app you will get a working map that is the same as a navionics card. You can see everything that would show on your lake minus your own trails and waypoints. I'm not familiar with Lowrance but I believe that is a popular unit.

Consider linking the two units together if that is an option that way they can share waypoints

Can the Helix 2 5's be linked or a 5" and a 7", and how is it done if it can be done?

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868377 08/18/18 01:42 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I believe that 7 is where the networking starts. It would need to be at least a helix g2n 7 to have networking. If you only have : units, it is just a Humminbird Ethernet cable that connects to each unit. If you get more than 2 devices then it requires a hub.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868420 08/18/18 02:38 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
The helix have to have a "g2n" which means they network unless you get the older models but the networking doesnt start until the 7s.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868564 08/18/18 05:28 PM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thanks to both of you for your responses. Learned a lot and I really appreciate it.

Two 7's networked would be nice but out of my price range.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868664 08/18/18 08:00 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
What's your budget? Then we can give you some recommendations

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12868752 08/18/18 10:15 PM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I've decided to go with the Hook2 5" with Nav maps included for the bow and wait till 2019 to decide on the console unit. Easy swap with old Mark 5x on bow now. Other things that sold me on Hook besides price and features with Nav maps was ease of use on demo at BPS and the transducer can be used on TM or transom.

Networking is not a priority, was just inquiring.

Thanks again.

Last edited by retdbasser; 08/20/18 02:32 PM. Reason: Edited old graph.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12869323 08/19/18 03:15 PM
C
ClarkC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Seems to me that you should be putting the new Hook2 on the console. What do you have on the console now and what will be there if you put the Hook2 on the bow? If your presently have sonar that works on the console while the boat is on plane then you should leave it there and install the Hook2 on the console with it. Either way I would put the Hook2 on the console and leave the Elite 5 on the bow if it is still working properly.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12869393 08/19/18 05:10 PM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Back deck (and me when I'm driving) have a color DI unit to look at now. Selfish old me wants a color unit with DI on the front deck where I spend most of my time. It's a Mark 5x not Elite and is black and white.

Console unit will be replaced next year so don't feel like swapping to bow now. Might be some new tech out.

Good advice and considered it.

Last edited by retdbasser; 08/20/18 02:34 PM.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12869551 08/19/18 09:25 PM
C
ClarkC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Getting back to your original question, mapping, SI, DI, and sonar are all useful tools I want to have. You want maps and SI on the console before you put it on the bow. They are way more useful on the console and I depend on them a lot when idling around unfamiliar waters. Chirp is an improvement in clarity of details over non-chirp units and mega imaging is another notch better. If I am idling in familiar waters or on the troll motor, I like to have the screen split with sonar and DI. Fish will stand out more on the sonar but the DI will draw the trees, rocks, whatever it is much clearer.
My own electronics evolved over a 3 year period and yours might Follow a similar path. I had a color Lowrance graph on the console and a small Eagle graph on the bow. They worked fine but I decided I wanted maps, DI and SI. The guys installing the Humminbird 899 I bought told me to leave the Lowrance where it is and mounted the 899 on a Ram mount to position it just above the Lowrance. This worked great because the Lowrance transducer was mounted on the transom and gave great readings at full speed. I could also save all the screen space on the HB for maps, SI, and DI. The following summer I bought a Garmin 7SV and put it on the troll motor. Last December I bought a Helix 10 Mega imaging and an Ultrex. The Helix 10 is now on the console with the Lowrance X102 which has never missed a beat. The 899 is on the bow with the Garmin but also hooked up to the transducer on the Ultrex. It is networked with the Helix 10 and I use it for maps and a backup to the Garmin.

Re: Questions on Electronics features? [Re: retdbasser] #12877215 08/26/18 05:49 PM
retdbasser Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I have a question on Lowrance verses HumminBird DI transducers.

The Hook 2 skimmer says to mount no closer than 3 inches to starboard of the prop if you mount it on the transom (which I did not and put it on TM).

My console mounted HB with DI says to mount 15 inches from prop.

Why is there this much difference in the transducer placement on the transom?

Is it a difference in technology of the transducer or what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide