Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863869 08/14/18 01:47 PM
Fourjs Online Sick
Extreme Angler
Online Sick
Extreme Angler
I’ll also throw my recommendation with everyone else. Vanguard is a great place to invest your money. Indexed funds and low fees. I’ve invested with them over 30 years.

My employer had our 401k program with Vanguard. When I retired, one phone call and I rolled my investment into a personnel IRA account. I’m invested in an indexed retirement fund.

Can’t go wrong.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863876 08/14/18 01:56 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I have been a Vanguard fund investor for over 30 years. Windsor Fund, Wellington Fund and International Growth Fund in IRAs and several other Vanguard funds in my former employer's 401(k) (Institutional Index Fund, Healthcare Fund, REIT Index Fund, Emerging Markets Fund). Vanguard has been the cost leader in index fund investing for a very long time, but there are a few others around now that are equally cost efficient, such as Fidelity and T. Rowe Price. You can invest in the funds directly through Vanguard (unlike many load funds that have to be purchased through brokerage firms). I also invest in ETFs and directly in individual companies through my Schwab brokerage account. You can buy many of the Schwab ETFs, which are also very cost efficient, for no brokerage commission.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863940 08/14/18 02:55 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Also a big fan of Vanguard's low cost funds and solid long term performance vs comparable funds.

I'd buy directly through Vanguard.
--could set up an account at the Vanguard website in 10 minutes.

Keep things simple if you are a new investor. There is nothing simpler than the target retirement date funds. They self balance/adjust for your age/target retirement date.

As you gain experience, I'm a big fan of reversion to the mean investing.
see link here reversiontothemean

[Linked Image]
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863943 08/14/18 02:58 PM
C
cbag1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Thanks everyone. I do have a good amount of money in online savings accounts like Marcus and Syncrony paying 1.85% but know I need that money working harder for me. I will contact Vanguard today and see what they say. I signed up for a trial subscription to Dan Weiner's Independent Advisor that is supposed to help you navigate through and choose the best Vanguard funds. Has anyone else ever seen his work?

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863948 08/14/18 03:01 PM
D
Dosser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
My employer uses Wells Fargo and all of my funds go into a Vanguard Target Retirement fund unless I move it personally

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863953 08/14/18 03:06 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Originally Posted By: collincountytx
If you have "no clue" and don't have the time/desire to closely follow stocks; don't invest in individual stocks.

I'd start simple.

Determine the year you plan on retiring and invest your money in a Vanguard target retirement date mutual fund.

As you get more experience, you can then fine tune your investment strategy. (Google "coffee house portfolio" for basic investment strategies using a small hedge based on predictable reversion to the mean)

Maybe something like this (copied and pasted from a thread last year)

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Usually this is a no brainer for me.

70% equally weighted 500 index ETF
10% international index ETF
10% emerging market ETF
10% total bond fund

But, at times where I see undervalue or overvalue, I'll add more (if undervalued) or add less (if overvalued). For example, last two years I've put a little more in the energy sector (has been undervalued)

If you swing for the fences with little experience, be prepared to strike out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12863980 08/14/18 03:37 PM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: cbag1
I have seen several posts before mentioning Vanguard funds but didn't see the answers when I searched. I am wondering if you have to set up an account through Vanguard or can the funds be bought through E*TRADE? Also are there any particular funds or indexes you guys recommend out of the many Vanguard options available?

I am 48 with a few years until I can comfortably say I am fully retired and feel like I have enough money socked away for the rest of my life. I need to get my current nest egg working for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Because you are asking the question that you are, I will assume this is a topic with which you have limited familiarity. That being the case, my somewhat stock answer here (1st pun of the day) would probably be to go see and pay for professional advice.

Here's why. If you say that you're only a "few" years away from being comfortably retired, but you are just now trying to get a nest egg working - that has a little incongruence to it. The closer you get to needing to pull that money, the more you should be dialing the risk back, not taking more. An advisor can double check your math for you and make sure you're on track as you think you are.

Once you get into retirement, you are in an income distribution phase...which is totally different than being in what you have been in your whole adult life to this point - an asset accumulation phase. Investment planning begins to morph into income planning. A trained advisor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to income planning. There are plenty of mistakes to be made here, but as well, there are plenty of opportunities.

Everybody has different risk tolerances, time horizons, income needs, and financial situations. There are no cookie cutter investments nor financial plans. Go see someone that does this professionally.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12864033 08/14/18 04:27 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
I have seen several posts before mentioning Vanguard funds but didn't see the answers when I searched. I am wondering if you have to set up an account through Vanguard or can the funds be bought through E*TRADE? Also are there any particular funds or indexes you guys recommend out of the many Vanguard options available?

I am 48 with a few years until I can comfortably say I am fully retired and feel like I have enough money socked away for the rest of my life. I need to get my current nest egg working for me.

Once you get into retirement, you are in an income distribution phase...which is totally different than being in what you have been in your whole adult life to this point - an asset accumulation phase. Investment planning begins to morph into income planning. A trained advisor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to income planning. There are plenty of mistakes to be made here, but as well, there are plenty of opportunities.

Everybody has different risk tolerances, time horizons, income needs, and financial situations. There are no cookie cutter investments nor financial plans. Go see someone that does this professionally.

I agree with everything you’ve said and I’ve personally done exactly what you’ve just described

Aren’t you in the financial planning business?

[Linked Image]

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12864073 08/14/18 05:00 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!

Because you are asking the question that you are, I will assume this is a topic with which you have limited familiarity. That being the case, my somewhat stock answer here (1st pun of the day) would probably be to go see and pay for professional advice.

Here's why. If you say that you're only a "few" years away from being comfortably retired, but you are just now trying to get a nest egg working - that has a little incongruence to it. The closer you get to needing to pull that money, the more you should be dialing the risk back, not taking more. An advisor can double check your math for you and make sure you're on track as you think you are.

Good advice, problem that arises for most is : WHO to seek it from..

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864145 08/14/18 05:52 PM
P
PaulGrapevine Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Any of you guys use Vanguard for retirement planning? To answer the original question... if you want to buy Vanguard funds, I do not know why you wouldn’t go straight through them.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864163 08/14/18 06:05 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
You guys have inspired me. I’m going to go sink some money into Vanguard.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Frank the Tank] #12864166 08/14/18 06:09 PM
Derek ðŸ Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
You guys have inspired me. I’m going to go sink some money into Vanguard.

Frank... Frank I like you. Just remember something. Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Scagnetti] #12864171 08/14/18 06:12 PM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti

I agree with everything you’ve said and I’ve personally done exactly what you’ve just described

Yes sir. It's the only industry I've ever worked in. The few friends that I keep up with from way back in my college days like to tell me that I've never had a real job.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12864264 08/14/18 08:00 PM
C
cbag1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C

I met with my dad's advisor last month at Merrill Lynch and all he wanted to talk about was me investing in American Funds he was pushing. The American Funds were probably alright and definitely a better choice than a high yield savings account that I have the money in now. I brought up Vanguard to him to seek his advice and opinion. He said he was able to put me in Vanguard but was still pushing AF so that told me he was getting more commission from AF and wasn't really interested in what might be best for the client.

This is the biggest reason I am having difficulty in deciding where to place this money plus it seems like the market is inflated right now. It has taken me all my life to get to where I am at now and this money has to last me the rest of my life so I am not interested in taking a big loss in the market. I am lucky in the fact that I have no debt such as college, cars, or house payments. Just the everyday living expenses like insurance, taxes, utilities, etc. Sometimes we are our worst enemy and fear is hard to overcome.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12864332 08/14/18 09:06 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti

Yes sir. It's the only industry I've ever worked in. The few friends that I keep up with from way back in my college days like to tell me that I've never had a real job.

thumb

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide