Forum Stats
108655 Members
61 Forums
780065 Topics
10062300 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12854561 - 08/05/18 05:57 PM Worm Hook?
oldnitro Offline
Angler

What size hook are you using on 10" worm?

Thanks

#12854608 - 08/05/18 06:40 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Eagle Mountain
5 mag

Edited by GROD (08/05/18 06:41 PM)

#12854613 - 08/05/18 06:45 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
ko bass attack 27 Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Fritch, Tx. - Alba, Tx.
I like a 5-0 round bend offset Trokar.

#12854615 - 08/05/18 06:46 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: texas
Just had a long conversation with Ken A. this afternoon about this very subject. We discussed different hooks and line for 10-12" worms in which I was considering a tandem hook rig because of the length of the worm. He said 5/0 wide gap Gamakatsu thin wire hooks were plenty sufficient and Ken knows hooks and big fish. Shortly after that conversation I watched a video with Albert Collins who fishes with 12" Mister Twister worms and he was using that same hook. Soooo, I guess a 5/0 Gamakatsu wide gap or round bend hook is sufficient.
I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I donít have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I donít have a curfew I have a driverís license,a car and I have a bass boat.

Duct tape won't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound, lol.
illegitimi non carborundum

#12854915 - 08/06/18 07:24 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES]
Ken A. Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Trophy Club, TX
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Just had a long conversation with Ken A. this afternoon about this very subject. We discussed different hooks and line for 10-12" worms in which I was considering a tandem hook rig because of the length of the worm. He said 5/0 wide gap Gamakatsu thin wire hooks were plenty sufficient and Ken knows hooks and big fish. Shortly after that conversation I watched a video with Albert Collins who fishes with 12" Mister Twister worms and he was using that same hook. Soooo, I guess a 5/0 Gamakatsu wide gap or round bend hook is sufficient.

Round Bend on big worms not EWG Ronnie. This one.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Offset_Round_Bend_Worm_Hooks_Black/descpage-GRBOBK.html

This is for the really big worms like the Mag Old Monster and 12" Jelly Worms. This is for deepwater long casts. If you are up close & personal, I would use a heavier wire hook.

Edited by Ken A. (08/06/18 07:28 AM)

#12854919 - 08/06/18 07:33 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: Ken A.]
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Lake Gaston, VA
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Offset_Round_Bend_Worm_Hooks_Black/descpage-GRBOBK.html

This is for the really big worms like the Mag Old Monster and 12" Jelly Worms. This is for deepwater long casts. If you are up close & personal, I would use a heavier wire hook.

That's what I use on all my worm set ups. A 4/0 on a Beaver.

#12855195 - 08/06/18 11:42 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy

Loc: Weatherford
5/0 Jungle Flipping Hook. Straight shank

#12855208 - 08/06/18 11:48 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Angler

I use vmc round bend hooks exclusively, the bend up by the eye keeps the bait on much better in all cases than a 90 degree bend like most others have.

For 12" I use 5/0
10" depends on worm brand can be 3 or 4/0

Vmc has a heavy duty hook also I avoid those most of the time but they come in up to 7/0. I like the finer hooks for better hook ups.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Ike_Approved_Worm_Hook_Bulk_25pk/descpage-VMCWHB.html

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Ike_Approved_Heavy_Duty_Worm_Hook/descpage-VMCHDWH.html

#12855229 - 08/06/18 11:58 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: Ken A.]
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Team Angler

Yep, that's the one I recommended. If I'm flipping or pitching a worm I like the Owner wide gap hooks which are a little heavier.
I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I donít have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I donít have a curfew I have a driverís license,a car and I have a bass boat.

#12856113 - 08/07/18 07:10 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
Brant King. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Winnsboro, TX
Yep, 5/0 round bend or straight shank. I like straight shank due to the more direct pressure that is applied to the hook point on hookset. I firmly believe I get a higher percentage of hookups.

#12856244 - 08/07/18 09:22 AM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES]
BigDozer66 Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lufkin, Texas USA

Yep, that's the one I recommended. If I'm flipping or pitching a worm I like the Owner wide gap hooks which are a little heavier.

I use the exact same two hooks in the same situations! cheers

Although the Gamakatsu 5/0 listed above was strong enough to catch a 5' alligator in our local Zoo Lake here. woot

Top clarify I "caught" it and fought it for 20 minutes, with it doing several 100 yard or so runs, and got it back to within 5 yards of me.

Then my wife said "Have you had enough fun?" so I gave it some slack and it threw the hook back out. wink

The hook was not bent at all and I continued to use it.

On a side note there was a guy that had been fishing there when we got there.

Once I hung the gator he came over after about 5 minutes and said "When you get it to the shore I want to get all of my baits back out of it's mouth!" pollo hmmm loco

I said man I will sure let you have them! bannana2

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop

#12856667 - 08/07/18 03:24 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: BigDozer66]
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Team Angler

This is for the really big worms like the Mag Old Monster and 12" Jelly Worms. This is for deepwater long casts. If you are up close & personal, I would use a heavier wire hook. [/quote]

Yep, that's the one I recommended. If I'm flipping or pitching a worm I like the Owner wide gap hooks which are a little heavier. [/quote]

I use the exact same two hooks in the same situations! cheers

Although the Gamakatsu 5/0 listed above was strong enough to catch a 5' alligator in our local Zoo Lake here. woot

Top clarify I "caught" it and fought it for 20 minutes, with it doing several 100 yard or so runs, and got it back to within 5 yards of me.

Then my wife said "Have you had enough fun?" so I gave it some slack and it threw the hook back out. wink

The hook was not bent at all and I continued to use it.

On a side note there was a guy that had been fishing there when we got there.

Once I hung the gator he came over after about 5 minutes and said "When you get it to the shore I want to get all of my baits back out of it's mouth!" pollo hmmm loco

I said man I will sure let you have them! bannana2 [/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An alligator or an alligator gar ? If either one didn't bend that Gamakatsu no need in me using any other kind.

Edited by GIG'EM AGGIES (08/07/18 03:24 PM)

#12856689 - 08/07/18 03:38 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
i-Fish Online   content
Pro Angler

6/0 straight shank

#12856744 - 08/07/18 04:13 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
Jaret Latta Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Austin, Tx/Nacogdoches, Tx
New Owner Jungle Wide Gap 5/0

#12857050 - 08/07/18 08:57 PM Re: Worm Hook? [Re: oldnitro]
Fish2222 Offline