Print Thread
Kayak Safety #12846686 07/30/18 12:42 PM
J
Jerryfly Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
My wife and I just purchased a pair of Jackson Liskas. We will primarily be going out in calm inshore waters and occasionally beyond the surf breakers when the surf is calm. We are new to kayaking and looking for any safety lessons learned kayaking. My wife is putting up a fight on wearing the PFD while out. Any recommendations on comfortable affordable PFDs? Anything else we should be considering to stay safe? Thanks for your help!

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12846708 07/30/18 12:55 PM
J
jublhu4 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12846722 07/30/18 01:09 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
There is not fight about a PFD. For real thats mandatory. Every time all the time.

Other good options, back up PFD, VHF Radio, cell phone in a dry bag, rope, knife, a buddy to go along with, 360 light and flag, the list goes on.

Also knowing how to right the yak when you turtle it. Practice that. Its not a matter of IF you turtle it, just when.

Good luck! Its a great sport but can get dangerous in a hurry so be prepared. PFD is for sure mandatory, no argument there. Tell her to pipe down and listen.

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: jublhu4] #12846948 07/30/18 03:54 PM
J
Jerryfly Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: jublhu4
Even better it is on sale right now! Do the auto inflate PFDs inflate if they get wet while wading? Or does it take a complete submersion, like you have fallen in.

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12846949 07/30/18 03:56 PM
J
Jerryfly Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
There is not fight about a PFD. For real thats mandatory. Every time all the time.

Other good options, back up PFD, VHF Radio, cell phone in a dry bag, rope, knife, a buddy to go along with, 360 light and flag, the list goes on.

Also knowing how to right the yak when you turtle it. Practice that. Its not a matter of IF you turtle it, just when.

Good luck! Its a great sport but can get dangerous in a hurry so be prepared. PFD is for sure mandatory, no argument there. Tell her to pipe down and listen.
Thanks for all the recommendations. She usually listens when I put my foot down. Just haven't gone there yet, but will if needed. Of course, I usually listen when she puts her foot down too. lol. The issue is about personal safety, so she loses this one.

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12847434 07/31/18 12:32 AM
D
Dougfresh Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I love my NRS chinook. Comfortable, holds a lot of stuff and well made. Might get an onyx movevent as a backup or for my wife since theyre more affordable and seem to get good reviews.

Get a 360 light, a whistle and a good knife at minimum.

Secure your stuff. Never know what might happen. Hence, the mandatory pfd.

Other than that, just be smart and use some common sense.

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12847512 07/31/18 01:42 AM
J
Jaybonnett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
PFD no matter what! Practice flipping it back over and reboarding in calm water or a pool. Have a paddle leash. I figure were like motorcyclists, we have to watch for others because they dont watch for us.

Keep doin what youre doin, youll keep gettin what youre gettin.
Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12847543 07/31/18 02:03 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Make sure her last will and testament is up to date and available. There are plenty of comfortable paddling PFDs available. Always check the weather, carry a phone or radio, and a spare paddle. Know your limitations.

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12847910 07/31/18 12:42 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Yeah the whistle I forgot, I carry one. The whistle is mandatory as well.

But as you can see, no one thinks no PFD is even kind of a good idea lol. Good luck man! Let us know how you like it. Really a fun sport and if you use your head can be done safely...that said, anytime you are on the water there is a danger so just be well planned out!

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12851730 08/03/18 04:55 AM
Fishin'Mark Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Lesson #1:

Always wear your PFD! +1 on the NRS Chinook. I have one and its great. Even when it's 107 degrees in Texas. It can't save your life if it's in the kayak.

Lesson #2:

If you don't want to loose whatever it is, make sure it's attached to you, or the boat. This is especially important for your paddle because with out it, you will rapidly find out which creek you are up. Use a paddle leash and attach glasses, phones, radios, coolers, rods, pliers, etc.. to you or the yak with any of the leash products out there. Turtle your yak once and you will understand as your floating paddle "floats" away and all your stuff is claimed by Davey Jones while you struggle to right the yak and re-board.

Lesson #3

You will flip it. Period. It has happened to all of us. Say it out loud right now, we'll wait. "I will flip my kayak when I least expect it". Especially if you are an inexperienced kayak pilot and have never attempted a surf launch or landing in the breakers, even mild ones. See lesson #2 and Lesson #4.

Lesson #4

Practice re-entry. Flip it on purpose in a controlled situation and get used to what it takes to get the boat righted and get back in. It isn't as easy as you think, and 150 yards offshore with no one paying attention to you but a panicked inexperienced partner is not the time to learn re-entry technique. It's a whole different ballgame when you are fatigued from paddling in the sun and your gear is soaking wet. From a post I wrote here in 2012:

Originally Posted By: Fishin'Mark
B-B-F

It stands for Belly - Butt - Feet. That is one of the easiest ways to re-enter most SoT yaks.

Get the yak upright. On many SoT yaks, reach as far over the yak as you can and grab hold of the scupper holes on the far side. Tuck your knees into the boat and lean back and the boat should flip upright.

Get perpendicular to the yak in the water with your hands grasping the side gunwhale. Then kick up like you would when getting out of the pool from the side. Don't try to hoist yourself over the yak or you'll just flip it again and be back at step one (not fun, and definitely not a confidence builder when cold and wet.) . When you kick up, slide the yak underneath you so you end up on your Belly, draped over the yak. Take a second to cough out the water and clear your nose from the unexpected closeup embrace of mother nature. Once ready, roll or flip over so you are sitting on your Butt, sidesaddle. Take a breather and once you are stable and comfortable, swing your Feet into the yak.

Now pick up all the little bits floating in the lake that you never can find when cleaning the yak (stupid candy wrappers), your hat, retrieve the anchor that fell off the deck and into Davy Jones locker (you do have a float on your anchor line right?), compose yourself, then continue on your way..

Keep in mind that this is much harder to do when wearing pants, long sleeve shirt, water or tennis shoes and tons of other now completely soaked gear which weighs 30 pounds more when drenched. Make sure you practice once or twice fully geared up so you realize the difference it makes.

Mark

Lesson #5

The sun is a killer. UV will fry you so wear protection. It's worse on a yak because the water acts like a giant UV mirror and you don't have a large vessel underneath you to block the reflected UV. I wear a long sleeve white tech material shirt (Columbia PFG for example), Columbia light weight guide pants, a Bush hat, lightweight paddling gloves, and a buff to cover my ears and face. Even when it's 107 degrees in Texas. If you prefer sunscreen, make sure you apply it liberally and re-apply it often. Skin cancer will ruin ANY hobby in a hurry.

Lesson #6

Light and Whistle. Trying to find someone bobbing in the ocean at night is like trying to find somewhere that still rents VHS tapes. Next to impossible. A light and whistle will make it much easier for people to find you. "But we are only going out for a three hour tour!" you say. Ask Gilligan how that ended for him and the Skipper.

Lesson #7

Have fun.. This all sounds rather dire, and it can be. As long as you prepare for the risks an take steps to mitigate them this hobby is a blast. From the seat of a kayak is one of the best ways to experience mother nature.

Don't loose your flip flops in the muck! - Mark

Last edited by Fishin'Mark; 08/03/18 05:13 AM. Reason: fix grammatical errorz.

[Linked Image]
2003 Skeeter ZX250 - Yamaha 250 HPDI - Minn Kota Ultrex 112 - Dual 8' Powerpole Pro II
Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12852199 08/03/18 04:17 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Great info Fishin'Mark.

For those that are new to kayaking, I can't stress enough how important it is to be totally confident in your ability to get back in your kayak when you go over. If it happens in calm water it will usually be from doing something silly, if its in rough seas its a totally different situation. Not panicking only comes from knowing what to do and having done it before. Practice in bad conditions, on days that you don't want to fish in it.

One of the things I learned early on from practicing in bad conditions, from observing other kayakers that dumped in real life and from watching videos on youtube of folks dumping is that the normal response is to immediately try to get back on. In windy conditions and big waves this is not a good idea.

The best thing to do is get your kayak turned back over, position bow into wind/waves, wait for next wave to pass, THEN Get In and have paddle ready to make a strong paddle stroke. I've practiced in conditions where if I couldn't do all of the above in 4 seconds (the time between wave sets), I was going right back over. Now to refine the above a little more. I'm not sure how your kayak reacts when you try to climb back on, but with mine here is what happens.

Bow of kayak turned directly into wind/waves, now I have 4 seconds to get everything right. When I belly flop onto my kayak, it pulls kayak/bow to the left (the side I'm getting back on). As I get in and flip over into seat the wave is coming and pushes bow even further to left. By the time I've picked up paddle and ready to make a paddle stroke on left side, I might be too far turned broadside to oncoming wave in which case I'm definitely going right back over. I prefer to start with my bow 10/15 degrees to right of oncoming wave...anticipating the pull to the side I'm climbing back on, and having much less correction on paddle stroke to hit next wave perfectly head on. Like I said before, I know how my kayak reacts to me getting back on, yours might be different and taking a little longer climbing back into a high chair. roflmao

Last edited by lconn4; 08/03/18 04:22 PM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Kayak Safety [Re: Jerryfly] #12853389 08/04/18 04:43 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Enjoying watching video from some of the guys fishing the tournament off coast today. Notice how he described dumping his kayak on the way out. Took it in stride and just kept going. cheers

https://www.facebook.com/robert.rodrigue...MTE1MTkwMDkzNw/

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide