Forums59
Topics1,039,183
Posts13,960,493
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: watermelon orange] #12843983 07/27/18 03:03 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: watermelon orange
This brings up another question......if you stick a fish in the toungue or its profusely bleeding all over your boat and you know the fish will die, at what point is it still cool to release it? Are you allowed to cull it while its taking its last few breaths?

I dont fish tournaments, I just need to know.....

Nobody commented on this guys question so here is another.

What if you're fishing a 5 fish tournament and you have 3 in the box, you catch your fourth, it's decent sized, bleeding like heck but still very alive, you decide to make a judgement call and toss him back for fear that it may die in your live well later costing you a dead fish. Acceptable?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: Huckleberry] #12844019 07/27/18 03:22 PM
dandeeks Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
This brings up another question......if you stick a fish in the toungue or its profusely bleeding all over your boat and you know the fish will die, at what point is it still cool to release it? Are you allowed to cull it while its taking its last few breaths?

What if you're fishing a 5 fish tournament and you have 3 in the box, you catch your fourth, it's decent sized, bleeding like heck but still very alive, you decide to make a judgement call and toss him back for fear that it may die in your live well later costing you a dead fish. Acceptable?

I wish I could remember which Bassmasters tournament I watched online where I saw a pro catch a fish and immediately throw it back b/c he stuck it in the tongue. Makes me think that is totally legal.

Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: dandeeks] #12844026 07/27/18 03:24 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: dandeeks

I wish I could remember which Bassmasters tournament I watched online where I saw a pro catch a fish and immediately throw it back b/c he stuck it in the tongue. Makes me think that is totally legal.

I remember seeing that too, I think it was Zaldain who did it.

Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: Huckleberry] #12844099 07/27/18 04:06 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Acceptable in my opinion.

Scott Jones
Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: Wishunter09] #12844102 07/27/18 04:09 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I've seen Ike release one of his larger fish (at the time) that he was afraid would die and he wouldn't be able to cull later.

It is 100% acceptable.

Once a fish dies in my livewell, its my obligation to weigh that fish and accept the penalty.

Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: Outdoordude] #12844208 07/27/18 05:40 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude

Acceptable in my opinion.

Agreed

Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: Wishunter09] #12844222 07/27/18 05:53 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
.....afraid he will die & WILL DIE are 2 different things .....
I say release the fish while it is still alive and give it a fighting chance to swim off and recover ...... if it doesn't then it just becomes part of nature's food chain ..... turtle food

Re: Question on dead fish rule [Re: Wishunter09] #12844224 07/27/18 05:55 PM
Paul Jeffcoat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If a tournament rule states no culling of dead fish, then you are stuck with it for weigh-in. That fish can not be culled in anyway shape or form once it dies. No explanation or argument would be accepted by me if I'm the TD.
How you handle that situation, prior to the fish dying in your live well is your decision. If it isn't dead, then it can be culled, but one must be careful to understand the moral as well as sportsmanship aspects of the rules too.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide