Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... #12841620 07/25/18 07:58 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Remember the guy who owned Cowboy Concrete in Ft. Work, Ken? May have been the same storm, I can't recall. But he was trying to make the run back in when lightning hit the front pedestal on his bow. Killed him and his partner instantly. They were found adrift in the east side boat lane. Pack and I came very close to being struck one December when a severe cold front came roaring in about four hours ahead of schedule. Since that day, if can hear thunder, I'm off the lake!

I remember that day, my brother and I were inside oak ridge watching it all from the big windows. They took him to the minnow bucket. We got off the water, it was bad that day..
In my opinion Fork is a Killer in an electrical storm, some lakes are known for other things like Grapevine, the Lew, Ray Hubbard, mostly drownings or boating collisions that have Fatalities.... Got caught in a hail storm on Fork in Media tournament, thought I was goner then, luckily only got hit in the head a few times... eeks nuts

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12841658 07/25/18 08:21 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Fork's had it's share of collision related deaths, too. Used to be a number of them before SRA put up the no wake buoys at 515 and other bridges. Several in big bass tournaments, too. But yes, Fork and lightning make for bad juju.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12841670 07/25/18 08:29 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I know of another lightning fatality on Fork, was one of our fellow TFF'rs on the boat with the victim. Out of respect I wont post name or details, mabey he will come on here and share the story.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12841710 07/25/18 08:58 PM
N
nitroslim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
We were on fork one day and had a storm roll in. We made it to one of the bridges for cover, we were in a smaller boat and didn't want to risk the run. It may have been the same storm Buda mentioned. I got home and saw the report on the 10pm news.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12841737 07/25/18 09:14 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Remember the guy who owned Cowboy Concrete in Ft. Work, Ken? May have been the same storm, I can't recall. But he was trying to make the run back in when lightning hit the front pedestal on his bow. Killed him and his partner instantly. They were found adrift in the east side boat lane. Pack and I came very close to being struck one December when a severe cold front came roaring in about four hours ahead of schedule. Since that day, if can hear thunder, I'm off the lake!

I do not recall if it was him or not. The one I remember well is an aluminum boat running from the helicopter pad back toward 2946 that was struck. There were two fatalities. One was a young boy. The boat kept going until it hit land. That is the one Kells found.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Ken A.] #12841751 07/25/18 09:22 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I do not recall if it was him or not. The one I remember well is an aluminum boat running from the helicopter pad back toward 2946 that was struck. There were two fatalities. One was a young boy. The boat kept going until it hit land. That is the one Kells found.

The tin boat was the one that ended up at Val's with the 2 men and a boy, the one in the boat lane with two guys was a Ranger best I recall.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842103 07/26/18 01:29 AM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
I get the hell off the water in those conditions. In my opinion you're an idiot otherwise. . Justsay'n

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842149 07/26/18 01:51 AM
B
bradnitro175 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Dang we got caught in a hail storm once out there, was idling around trying to find boat lane after the hail and seen a tree on fire.

Originally Posted by Trickster
BIG FAT BASS LIVES MATTER

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842155 07/26/18 01:55 AM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
If I hear thunder it's time to go.. I use to work for the electric compnay back in the 80's and can see what electricty can do...

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842210 07/26/18 02:49 AM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
I think it was in April 1994, two guys from Longview got hit by lightning while fishing Fork in a Ranger. I was there fishing a small club tournament. Hit a stump coming out of alligator on the east arm. Took put my engine. Still had reverse so was reversing to get back to Minnow Bucket. Saw one bolt of lightning and commented to partner that that was close. Finally got back and pulled boat to go to weigh in at Lake Fork Lodge. Got there and there were all sorts on emergency vehicles there. One EMT said a boat was pulling in another boat that two guys were hit by lightning and killed. We were missing a team and thought it was them. Turns out they were towing the other boat in. Pretty gruesome that two guys dies that day.

After that, have a whole new respect for lightning.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842232 07/26/18 03:01 AM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I don't like this thread.

Don't jinx anyone bolt

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842239 07/26/18 03:04 AM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Fork is the first and only place I have experienced my spinning reel shooting sparks looking like a sparkler. And the line arched up instead of down. From static electricity.
Did a father a son get killed once ?

Last edited by slim 285; 07/26/18 03:06 AM.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842269 07/26/18 03:31 AM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Please remember this thread as a reminder to be CAREFUL with severe weather and collision risk on Fork or any other Texas lake. I have had some strange experiences on Fork, Alan Henry, Falcon, and Big Sam. Many of us have. I just don’t mess with weather at all anymore-little older and hopefully smarter...

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842463 07/26/18 01:07 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Paying attention to your surroundings and radar are key in preventing this. IMO, there is no excuse (Other than engine problems) to be caught out in a storm with all of the technology that is available these days.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842543 07/26/18 02:20 PM
J
jbassman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J

My partner and i were eating at Vals the day and time this happened, It was a sad deal.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842591 07/26/18 02:49 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Was fishing a media tournament one day on Fork and we weighed in and a huge storm was moving in so we tried to hall a back to the ramp we were parked. Rained so hard, I could only watch my trail line on the Lowrance, couldn't see the water. Was extremely stupid and dangerous. Got to the ramp and dropped the passenger off to back the truck down and a huge lightning bolt hit very close to the ramp, probably the most scared I ever have been.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: redskeet100] #12842701 07/26/18 04:14 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I want to say the 2001 bass masters classic in LA, a mutual buddy Mark Tyler was pre-fishing and was hit by lightning and his rod exploded. He woke up under his console with no clue what happened except his rod melted or what was left of it.

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: fouzman] #12842944 07/26/18 07:22 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
There have been way to many times where, you think, man that was close.. Why is it, the damn fish bite like its the best day ever when the air is super charged, and ready to strike. I know for a fact, the fish going nuts on a topwater, as the storm moves in, has kept me fishing well beyond good reasoning.. Winnsboro, behind the iron bridge July 4th weekend, storm rolls in fish are killing a chug bug, can't seem to stop fishing, the bite was so good, rod starts buzzing, hair on our heads and arm starts to bristle, BOOM it hits a tree 50-60 feet from us. We spent the next 40 or so minutes under the bridge...

Fishing Bassing for Babies on Fork, mouth of Alligator, big flat on the south side, again the fish were biting virtually every cast.. My wife Kay says HEY, look at this, her line was literally rising upwards off the water, we both freaked out threw the rods down in the boat, got as low in the bottom of the boat as we could and, BOOM, another close call.. We reeled them up and hauled it over to Oak Ridge and waited it out.. These accounts are but just a couple times the same scenario has played out with the fish biting so good it was clouding good judgement... Lucky to be here, don't do that anymore.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842968 07/26/18 07:37 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
I remember the Media hail storm and nasty thunderstorms very well. I also remember looking over at Cody Malone in the trout pond and neither of us were leaving. Stupid stupid stupid. Nothing happened but it got nasty. After that tournament I told myself no amount of money was worth it.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842996 07/26/18 07:53 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
There have been way to many times where, you think, man that was close.. Why is it, the damn fish bite like its the best day ever when the air is super charged, and ready to strike. I know for a fact, the fish going nuts on a topwater, as the storm moves in, has kept me fishing well beyond good reasoning.. Winnsboro, behind the iron bridge July 4th weekend, storm rolls in fish are killing a chug bug, can't seem to stop fishing, the bite was so good, rod starts buzzing, hair on our heads and arm starts to bristle, BOOM it hits a tree 50-60 feet from us. We spent the next 40 or so minutes under the bridge...

Fishing Bassing for Babies on Fork, mouth of Alligator, big flat on the south side, again the fish were biting virtually every cast.. My wife Kay says HEY, look at this, her line was literally rising upwards off the water, we both freaked out threw the rods down in the boat, got as low in the bottom of the boat as we could and, BOOM, another close call.. We reeled them up and hauled it over to Oak Ridge and waited it out.. These accounts are but just a couple times the same scenario has played out with the fish biting so good it was clouding good judgement... Lucky to be here, don't do that anymore.

Been right there Billy. Me and Bill Kells were in Smith Creek at Monty one day and it was just like you described. Every time we would make a cast you would have to put your rod tip in the water and jerk your line downward from the sky. It was the first & only time I’ve ever experienced it.

Like you said it was STUPID to stay on the water that day but we were catching four and five pounders every cast. I was literally running my hand controlled trolling motor on my knees on the front deck, trying to stay as low as possible & silently praying that we would not be killed by lightning

And if you knew anything at all about Wild Bill, you knew he was a Man’s Man and no lightning storm was gonna run him off the water. I was bullet-proof back then. We stayed until smack dab dark with lightning bolts flying over head as I ran hard & fast from the RR bridge all the way to the ramp in pouring rain.

I would not do it again but, Man what a memory! I am proud that I can call Bill a friend. He didn't let himself get close to many folks.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843002 07/26/18 07:56 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Been there done that Billy. Next time ( everybody that's reading this post ) you're out riding around Fork and notice all those burnt trees and stumps, that wasn't from a forest fire Ok. And if you decide to beach your boat and run hide under one of those big trees during one of those storms, well best of luck to ya. thumb

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 07/26/18 07:57 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843034 07/26/18 08:17 PM
M
montgomery Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Back when I was in the 6th grade a buddy and I were fishing their Pond up in KS and a storm blew in. I took the fish out and tied them to a T post in the water and we stood under a tree. We thought the storm was done I walked out about 20 ft to the T post and all I can remember is flying thru the air and landing on the bank. When I woke up my buddy was laying there he did not make it. They figured it hit the tree and the electricity traveled thru the roots out to where I was at and that is what saved me. Now when it is in the area I head to the ramp.

Last edited by Montgomery; 07/27/18 04:25 PM.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843153 07/26/18 09:44 PM
521Rangerman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I was on Fork back in 2005 with a friend from work.We were fishing main lake point Little Caney Carolina rig fishing with four other boats in the area.
Seen a small rain cloud on the horizon but heard no thunder.If I heard thunder I would have been off the water fast cause I DON'T like lightning. I am constantly checking the radar.Asked buddy if he wanted to go in just in case that turned into a storm, He said no didn't look like much. We put on our rain suits just in case we needed to make a run to the ramp. We were both standing on the same side of the boat six feet apart.He had just caught nice 7 lb bass and we took a picture.Then back to fishing, Him just behind passenger side and me just in front of the passenger windshield.Boom lightning hit knocked me to front of boat. Not sure if knocked me out or not but got up turned around to check on my buddy and he was gone.Was about to jump in and turn around and seen the bottom of his shoe.Ran and grabbed his leg and some how pulled him in the boat.Bent ignition key trying to hurry and get to ramp. Started boat all alarms going off,lights flashing.
Made it to the ramp got help at dock. Someone went to back my trunk in.Boat wouldn't start,tried trolling motor nada. Look down and trolling motor top was blown off.
Lightning hit my buddy's fishing rod traveled down his body out his shoe and then traveled up the power cable just under me to the trolling motor. My buddy died instantly
and 10k in damage to the boat.Took a long time to get over that.Still not 100% over it.

Last edited by 521Rangerman; 07/26/18 09:45 PM.

Tony Lumpkins
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843166 07/26/18 09:51 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 521Rangerman
I was on Fork back in 2005 with a friend from work.We were fishing main lake point Little Caney Carolina rig fishing with four other boats in the area.
Seen a small rain cloud on the horizon but heard no thunder.If I heard thunder I would have been off the water fast cause I DON'T like lightning. I am constantly checking the radar.Asked buddy if he wanted to go in just in case that turned into a storm, He said no didn't look like much. We put on our rain suits just in case we needed to make a run to the ramp. We were both standing on the same side of the boat six feet apart.He had just caught nice 7 lb bass and we took a picture.Then back to fishing, Him just behind passenger side and me just in front of the passenger windshield.Boom lightning hit knocked me to front of boat. Not sure if knocked me out or not but got up turned around to check on my buddy and he was gone.Was about to jump in and turn around and seen the bottom of his shoe.Ran and grabbed his leg and some how pulled him in the boat.Bent ignition key trying to hurry and get to ramp. Started boat all alarms going off,lights flashing.
Made it to the ramp got help at dock. Someone went to back my trunk in.Boat wouldn't start,tried trolling motor nada. Look down and trolling motor top was blown off.
Lightning hit my buddy's fishing rod traveled down his body out his shoe and then traveled up the power cable just under me to the trolling motor. My buddy died instantly
and 10k in damage to the boat.Took a long time to get over that.Still not 100% over it.

That's horrible thing to go through, so sorry for the loss of your friend. Something that you can never get over.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843168 07/26/18 09:54 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Dayummmmm, prayers Tony.
You young guys listen to these stories and learn, take it to the ramp, live to fish another day..

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843184 07/26/18 10:05 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sorry about those that have lost friends/family to lightning. The stories should make us all reconsider being on the lake during storms.

I was fishing all the way in the back of smith creek on Monti two years ago. I was catching them good that evening as it was starting to get dark. I was facing northeast throwing top water and chatterbaits and noticed a flash of light coming from behind me. I turned around and sure enough there was a storm approaching from the west. I looked at my phone and knew I needed to get out of there quick. Unfortunately, I had to idle all the way out under the railroad bridge and to the power lines before I could get on plane.

I flew to the ramp as quick as I could get there, parked the boat at the pier and ran up to get my truck. The wind hit hard at the same time and big drops of rain started falling. By the time I got the truck backed down the ramp, it was coming down in buckets.

I jumped out and ran to the boat, got it loaded on the trailer and jumped in the truck soaking wet. Pulled under the light and figured "what the heck, I'm already soaked so I'll strap the boat down and head out". As I was attaching the motor mate to the jack plate, the lightning hit somewhere close enough to shock my hand resting on the jack plate. I was looking down at the time and all I saw was the bright light and heard the loud clap of thunder.

When I got back in the truck I was shaking and thinking I won't do that again. shocked

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843229 07/26/18 10:34 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I am sorry that a lot of these stories have to be relived, but bad weather on any lake....everyone must heed the slightest of warnings and get the heck out of harm's way. Tony, that was such a terrible experience, as well as all the other stories. Please be smart and understand that Mother Nature's storms are nothing to be taking a chance on. No matter what! God Bless.....

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843332 07/26/18 11:53 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I hope none of us ever have to experience what you did Tony. I can't imagine.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843353 07/27/18 12:11 AM
H
hunter1st Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I cannot attest to this being fact, but my dad is a retired lineman in Arkansas (AP&L/Entergy). He saw a lot of lightning and lightning damage.

His comments to me were, if caught on the water in a storm, find a bridge, or overhead power line, anything overhead that is not attached around you, and wait it out.

PS, I haven't tried it, I get off the water. I had a friend struck and killed @1982 about a quarter mile from my house.

hunter1st
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843495 07/27/18 02:11 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy

People don't ever get over something that horrific. I suppose you just learn to live with it. I am so sorry buddy.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843518 07/27/18 02:28 AM
W
Wormin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I too have been fishing and felt the static coming off my line. Not anything near the tragedies mentioned above but its really scary.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843538 07/27/18 02:51 AM
O
Outdoor Therapy Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Dang,I will never forget that story. I have fished in beyond stupid conditions. Yup, I think I'm done with that.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843664 07/27/18 06:22 AM
T
TxBassSniper Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Had a couple of close calls in 30+ years. One of the worst was at the third Rayburn Big Bass Splash in 93 I think. We we fishing a flat and the fish were biting like crazy. We could see a storm approaching but we were within sight of a marina so we thought we were o.k. if it got bad. I had just caught a decent fish and by the time I got him in the live well and made a cast my line starting floating. We immediately cranked up and by the time we made it to the marina all he$$ broke loose. All the stalls were already taken by the older, wiser anglers so we tied up directly to the dock and got under cover with probably 50 other guys. All the sudden the sky turned green the pine trees looked like they were about to snap and boats were still coming in trying to make it to the marina. Several of the boaters beached their boats and were immediately swamped, several other boats were blown off the bank into the main lake. Lightning was popping all around for about 15 minutes and the wind was probably 60 mph+. It was so strong it pushed the dock off it's moorings. By the time it was over the dock was no longer connected to the bank. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees and we never caught another fish. We later found out a tornado had passed just north of us and several boats had gone down. Not sure if there were any fatalities, but to this day that is the worst I've ever seen Rayburn.

Last edited by John Peebles; 07/27/18 07:52 PM.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843870 07/27/18 01:44 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Hopefully we are all a little older & wiser now.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12845247 07/28/18 07:05 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thanks for sharing all these stories. Now, you wont catch me on the water during those conditions! eeks

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12845704 07/29/18 04:53 AM
R
Rocky Robison Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R

Tony, I remember the day we went fishing and you told me this story, I thought my close calls were scary and a memorable lesson learned, but paled in comparison to this. I told you that day I didn't know how I would handle going back out, and you told me it was rough. I think that was your first trip back to Fork. I'm sure it still is a painful memory! I am thankful I got to fish with you that day and hear that story and I continue to pray for you!

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12845909 07/29/18 03:13 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Wow, Tony's story and others are heart breaking. I have several lightning and weather related stories over the years, and just lucky to make it back with no serious injuries or worse.
I was fishing on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma about 8 years ago, the PVA tournament. I had a gentleman in the boat with me from Texas, and for the life of me I can't remember his name and have lost his contact numbers. (That phone is at the bottom of the lake) I think his first name was Bill and if he reads this I hope he responds. The weather is horrible, we have everyone loaded in the boats and ready for take off but it's so bad we are in a delay, everyone is parked as best they can under the marina docks. After about an hour and a half delay, it's not getting any better but these guys are wanting to fish. For some of these fellas, the only time they ever get to fish is the 3-4 Paralyzed Veterens of America tournaments that they attend every year. The tournament director left it up to them, and my partner says let's go fish. So we blast off and head to our first spot. When we get there it is pouring down, I'm thinking it's horrible and there is no way my partner is going to want to hang in this. I have the best rain gear on the planet and I was miserable, but I turn around and he's in a cheap Walmart suit, chunking and winding and grinning from ear to ear. He catches a good keeper on a chatterbait and we are high fiving, and I figure if he can hang I can too. About that time I look up and I literally see the tail of a tornado dip down out of the clouds and I can see hail stones the size of softballs hitting the water about a quarter mile away. It looked like concrete blocks hitting the water. I told him to hold on, I don't have time to get you off the back deck, we are putting the boat on the bank. I fast idle us up into a little cut and to the closest tree to tie the boat off. I grab a rope and am tying to the tree and the top half of the tree breaks off and lands on the front deck. I'm talking about the top half of a big tree, at least 60' tall. So basically 30' of a big tree pile drives me face first into the carpet of the front deck. I don't know how long I laid there, trying to figure out if I was hurt or not, conscious or not, but I was there for awhile. I finally come to my senses and realize I have a paralyzed from the waist down co-angler that may or may not still be in the boat with me. I start digging myself out of the tree, and it took everything I had to work my way out and finally get stood up enough to see the back deck, expecting the absolute worst. He is still sitting there!!! Eyes as big as pancakes, not a scratch or a twig or a leaf on him. We are both asking if each other is ok, I'm checking myself out to see what's broken or cut up and I don't have anything more than a couple of minor scrapes and a sore jaw from face planting on the carpet. We finally get to laughing a little bit and he says, " You know, if you would have just kept on fishing that would have never happened!"

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12845929 07/29/18 03:46 PM
B
bbexotics Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Remember when I was younger fished McDonals tournament in the storm, luckily had my 22ft Gambler and made it back ok after spearheading 3 waves. Was scary....

13.66 sharelunker #341,14.59, PB from,"FORK"
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: rj74955] #12845957 07/29/18 04:33 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: rj74955
Wow, Tony's story and others are heart breaking. I have several lightning and weather related stories over the years, and just lucky to make it back with no serious injuries or worse.
I was fishing on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma about 8 years ago, the PVA tournament. I had a gentleman in the boat with me from Texas, and for the life of me I can't remember his name and have lost his contact numbers. (That phone is at the bottom of the lake) I think his first name was Bill and if he reads this I hope he responds. The weather is horrible, we have everyone loaded in the boats and ready for take off but it's so bad we are in a delay, everyone is parked as best they can under the marina docks. After about an hour and a half delay, it's not getting any better but these guys are wanting to fish. For some of these fellas, the only time they ever get to fish is the 3-4 Paralyzed Veterens of America tournaments that they attend every year. The tournament director left it up to them, and my partner says let's go fish. So we blast off and head to our first spot. When we get there it is pouring down, I'm thinking it's horrible and there is no way my partner is going to want to hang in this. I have the best rain gear on the planet and I was miserable, but I turn around and he's in a cheap Walmart suit, chunking and winding and grinning from ear to ear. He catches a good keeper on a chatterbait and we are high fiving, and I figure if he can hang I can too. About that time I look up and I literally see the tail of a tornado dip down out of the clouds and I can see hail stones the size of softballs hitting the water about a quarter mile away. It looked like concrete blocks hitting the water. I told him to hold on, I don't have time to get you off the back deck, we are putting the boat on the bank. I fast idle us up into a little cut and to the closest tree to tie the boat off. I grab a rope and am tying to the tree and the top half of the tree breaks off and lands on the front deck. I'm talking about the top half of a big tree, at least 60' tall. So basically 30' of a big tree pile drives me face first into the carpet of the front deck. I don't know how long I laid there, trying to figure out if I was hurt or not, conscious or not, but I was there for awhile. I finally come to my senses and realize I have a paralyzed from the waist down co-angler that may or may not still be in the boat with me. I start digging myself out of the tree, and it took everything I had to work my way out and finally get stood up enough to see the back deck, expecting the absolute worst. He is still sitting there!!! Eyes as big as pancakes, not a scratch or a twig or a leaf on him. We are both asking if each other is ok, I'm checking myself out to see what's broken or cut up and I don't have anything more than a couple of minor scrapes and a sore jaw from face planting on the carpet. We finally get to laughing a little bit and he says, " You know, if you would have just kept on fishing that would have never happened!"

Crazy story for sure! Was his name Mike Garvie by chance?

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12846028 07/29/18 05:54 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Lol, that doesn't ring a bell Ken but I am horrible with names and have fished with so many co-anglers over the years it very well could be. Ask him if he had a boater buried under a tree at Eufaula. He's a pretty big guy, I sure was glad to see he hadn't exited the boat!

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12846150 07/29/18 08:05 PM
LakeForkLodge Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I remember the two men who had a bolt hit their engine while running wide open. The current traveled to the throttle and out the driver's hand. He had a hole in his right hand and one in his left thigh where the bolt came out. It was assumed that it jumped to the passenger but he didn't have a mark on him. Both were killed instantly as was the engine. The two were found adrift after the storm. When we heard the news here at the lodge, we still had a boat missing. Thankfully our guys were riding the storm out in a boathouse. The Dallas Morning News had an article the next week which said that lightning can strike you from as far away as 13 miles. That was all I needed to hear. No matter how well the fish are biting, my tail is on the bank when I can see lighting, no matter how far off it is.

---TFF Lodging Discounts--- Check Plugs and Announcements

Like us on Facebook for discounts on lodging and guide trips
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Fork-Lodge/337503322402
903-473-7236 www.lakeforklodge.com
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12846637 07/30/18 11:48 AM
F
FlatBack4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
About 40 years ago, I was on Lake Konawa in Oklahoma, when most of the above happened. I remember being out on the lake with my dad. I was about sixteen. We were floating north along the dam when we saw the clouds. We looked at each and agreed.. "It's gonna go around".

It didn't. We out ran everybody back to the south ramp and beached the boat, turned on the bilge pump, and headed for cover. Only three of twenty boats didn't sink including ours. Fishing tackle floating everywhere and a lot washed up 10-15 feet onto the bank.

We spent the rest of the wenching boats from bottom of the lake. Kind of an weird site seeing anchors sitting on the shore and the tight rope just heading out to the water then under.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12847108 07/30/18 06:04 PM
bsouth401 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

I remember that day, my brother and I were inside oak ridge watching it all from the big windows. They took him to the minnow bucket. We got off the water, it was bad that day..
In my opinion Fork is a Killer in an electrical storm, some lakes are known for other things like Grapevine, the Lew, Ray Hubbard, mostly drownings or boating collisions that have Fatalities.... Got caught in a hail storm on Fork in Media tournament, thought I was goner then, luckily only got hit in the head a few times... eeks nuts

If this was in the mid to late 90"s I was there too! I was loading my boat on the trailer when the lightning struck behind me! Thought I was a gonner! Me and my fishing buddy PK Tarpenning were fishing the west bank up against the trees and didn't see all the black clouds approaching. Suddenly our lines started sparkling and floating up! That was freaky! We quickly realed up and a started idleing away from the bank when we realized we had a storm barrleing down on us. Before we could idle out of the stumps and get on pad we were both drenched with rain. Ran right accross to the Oakridge boat ramp. As PK was pulling me off the boat ramp the lightning struck. We quicky took refruge in Oakrigde. I remember the Game Wardens, Ronnie Ward and Roger Steward telling me the story later of the recovery. Sad Deal for sure!

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: bsouth401] #12847210 07/30/18 08:04 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: bsouth401

If this was in the mid to late 90"s I was there too! I was loading my boat on the trailer when the lightning struck behind me! Thought I was a gonner! Me and my fishing buddy PK Tarpenning were fishing the west bank up against the trees and didn't see all the black clouds approaching. Suddenly our lines started sparkling and floating up! That was freaky! We quickly realed up and a started idleing away from the bank when we realized we had a storm barrleing down on us. Before we could idle out of the stumps and get on pad we were both drenched with rain. Ran right accross to the Oakridge boat ramp. As PK was pulling me off the boat ramp the lightning struck. We quicky took refruge in Oakrigde. I remember the Game Wardens, Ronnie Ward and Roger Steward telling me the story later of the recovery. Sad Deal for sure!

It was Brian, at least the one we remember....
I hope you and your family are well... cheers

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12847294 07/30/18 09:27 PM
bsouth401 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bsouth401

It was Brian, at least the one we remember....
I hope you and your family are well... cheers

Doing well Billy!

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12847302 07/30/18 09:33 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Some harrowing stories!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide