Forums59
Topics1,039,320
Posts13,962,822
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843518 07/27/18 02:28 AM
W
Wormin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I too have been fishing and felt the static coming off my line. Not anything near the tragedies mentioned above but its really scary.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843538 07/27/18 02:51 AM
O
Outdoor Therapy Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Dang,I will never forget that story. I have fished in beyond stupid conditions. Yup, I think I'm done with that.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.- Thomas A Edison

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843664 07/27/18 06:22 AM
J
John Peebles Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Had a couple of close calls in 30+ years. One of the worst was at the third Rayburn Big Bass Splash in 93 I think. We we fishing a flat and the fish were biting like crazy. We could see a storm approaching but we were within sight of a marina so we thought we were o.k. if it got bad. I had just caught a decent fish and by the time I got him in the live well and made a cast my line starting floating. We immediately cranked up and by the time we made it to the marina all he$$ broke loose. All the stalls were already taken by the older, wiser anglers so we tied up directly to the dock and got under cover with probably 50 other guys. All the sudden the sky turned green the pine trees looked like they were about to snap and boats were still coming in trying to make it to the marina. Several of the boaters beached their boats and were immediately swamped, several other boats were blown off the bank into the main lake. Lightning was popping all around for about 15 minutes and the wind was probably 60 mph+. It was so strong it pushed the dock off it's moorings. By the time it was over the dock was no longer connected to the bank. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees and we never caught another fish. We later found out a tornado had passed just north of us and several boats had gone down. Not sure if there were any fatalities, but to this day that is the worst I've ever seen Rayburn.

Last edited by John Peebles; 07/27/18 07:52 PM.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843870 07/27/18 01:44 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Hopefully we are all a little older & wiser now.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12845247 07/28/18 07:05 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thanks for sharing all these stories. Now, you wont catch me on the water during those conditions! eeks

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12845704 07/29/18 04:53 AM
R
Rocky Robison Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: 521Rangerman
I was on Fork back in 2005 with a friend from work.We were fishing main lake point Little Caney Carolina rig fishing with four other boats in the area.
Seen a small rain cloud on the horizon but heard no thunder.If I heard thunder I would have been off the water fast cause I DON'T like lightning. I am constantly checking the radar.Asked buddy if he wanted to go in just in case that turned into a storm, He said no didn't look like much. We put on our rain suits just in case we needed to make a run to the ramp. We were both standing on the same side of the boat six feet apart.He had just caught nice 7 lb bass and we took a picture.Then back to fishing, Him just behind passenger side and me just in front of the passenger windshield.Boom lightning hit knocked me to front of boat. Not sure if knocked me out or not but got up turned around to check on my buddy and he was gone.Was about to jump in and turn around and seen the bottom of his shoe.Ran and grabbed his leg and some how pulled him in the boat.Bent ignition key trying to hurry and get to ramp. Started boat all alarms going off,lights flashing.
Made it to the ramp got help at dock. Someone went to back my trunk in.Boat wouldn't start,tried trolling motor nada. Look down and trolling motor top was blown off.
Lightning hit my buddy's fishing rod traveled down his body out his shoe and then traveled up the power cable just under me to the trolling motor. My buddy died instantly
and 10k in damage to the boat.Took a long time to get over that.Still not 100% over it.

Tony, I remember the day we went fishing and you told me this story, I thought my close calls were scary and a memorable lesson learned, but paled in comparison to this. I told you that day I didn't know how I would handle going back out, and you told me it was rough. I think that was your first trip back to Fork. I'm sure it still is a painful memory! I am thankful I got to fish with you that day and hear that story and I continue to pray for you!

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12845909 07/29/18 03:13 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Wow, Tony's story and others are heart breaking. I have several lightning and weather related stories over the years, and just lucky to make it back with no serious injuries or worse.
I was fishing on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma about 8 years ago, the PVA tournament. I had a gentleman in the boat with me from Texas, and for the life of me I can't remember his name and have lost his contact numbers. (That phone is at the bottom of the lake) I think his first name was Bill and if he reads this I hope he responds. The weather is horrible, we have everyone loaded in the boats and ready for take off but it's so bad we are in a delay, everyone is parked as best they can under the marina docks. After about an hour and a half delay, it's not getting any better but these guys are wanting to fish. For some of these fellas, the only time they ever get to fish is the 3-4 Paralyzed Veterens of America tournaments that they attend every year. The tournament director left it up to them, and my partner says let's go fish. So we blast off and head to our first spot. When we get there it is pouring down, I'm thinking it's horrible and there is no way my partner is going to want to hang in this. I have the best rain gear on the planet and I was miserable, but I turn around and he's in a cheap Walmart suit, chunking and winding and grinning from ear to ear. He catches a good keeper on a chatterbait and we are high fiving, and I figure if he can hang I can too. About that time I look up and I literally see the tail of a tornado dip down out of the clouds and I can see hail stones the size of softballs hitting the water about a quarter mile away. It looked like concrete blocks hitting the water. I told him to hold on, I don't have time to get you off the back deck, we are putting the boat on the bank. I fast idle us up into a little cut and to the closest tree to tie the boat off. I grab a rope and am tying to the tree and the top half of the tree breaks off and lands on the front deck. I'm talking about the top half of a big tree, at least 60' tall. So basically 30' of a big tree pile drives me face first into the carpet of the front deck. I don't know how long I laid there, trying to figure out if I was hurt or not, conscious or not, but I was there for awhile. I finally come to my senses and realize I have a paralyzed from the waist down co-angler that may or may not still be in the boat with me. I start digging myself out of the tree, and it took everything I had to work my way out and finally get stood up enough to see the back deck, expecting the absolute worst. He is still sitting there!!! Eyes as big as pancakes, not a scratch or a twig or a leaf on him. We are both asking if each other is ok, I'm checking myself out to see what's broken or cut up and I don't have anything more than a couple of minor scrapes and a sore jaw from face planting on the carpet. We finally get to laughing a little bit and he says, " You know, if you would have just kept on fishing that would have never happened!"

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12845929 07/29/18 03:46 PM
B
bbexotics Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Remember when I was younger fished McDonals tournament in the storm, luckily had my 22ft Gambler and made it back ok after spearheading 3 waves. Was scary....

13.66 sharelunker #341,14.59, PB from,"FORK"
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: rj74955] #12845957 07/29/18 04:33 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: rj74955
Wow, Tony's story and others are heart breaking. I have several lightning and weather related stories over the years, and just lucky to make it back with no serious injuries or worse.
I was fishing on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma about 8 years ago, the PVA tournament. I had a gentleman in the boat with me from Texas, and for the life of me I can't remember his name and have lost his contact numbers. (That phone is at the bottom of the lake) I think his first name was Bill and if he reads this I hope he responds. The weather is horrible, we have everyone loaded in the boats and ready for take off but it's so bad we are in a delay, everyone is parked as best they can under the marina docks. After about an hour and a half delay, it's not getting any better but these guys are wanting to fish. For some of these fellas, the only time they ever get to fish is the 3-4 Paralyzed Veterens of America tournaments that they attend every year. The tournament director left it up to them, and my partner says let's go fish. So we blast off and head to our first spot. When we get there it is pouring down, I'm thinking it's horrible and there is no way my partner is going to want to hang in this. I have the best rain gear on the planet and I was miserable, but I turn around and he's in a cheap Walmart suit, chunking and winding and grinning from ear to ear. He catches a good keeper on a chatterbait and we are high fiving, and I figure if he can hang I can too. About that time I look up and I literally see the tail of a tornado dip down out of the clouds and I can see hail stones the size of softballs hitting the water about a quarter mile away. It looked like concrete blocks hitting the water. I told him to hold on, I don't have time to get you off the back deck, we are putting the boat on the bank. I fast idle us up into a little cut and to the closest tree to tie the boat off. I grab a rope and am tying to the tree and the top half of the tree breaks off and lands on the front deck. I'm talking about the top half of a big tree, at least 60' tall. So basically 30' of a big tree pile drives me face first into the carpet of the front deck. I don't know how long I laid there, trying to figure out if I was hurt or not, conscious or not, but I was there for awhile. I finally come to my senses and realize I have a paralyzed from the waist down co-angler that may or may not still be in the boat with me. I start digging myself out of the tree, and it took everything I had to work my way out and finally get stood up enough to see the back deck, expecting the absolute worst. He is still sitting there!!! Eyes as big as pancakes, not a scratch or a twig or a leaf on him. We are both asking if each other is ok, I'm checking myself out to see what's broken or cut up and I don't have anything more than a couple of minor scrapes and a sore jaw from face planting on the carpet. We finally get to laughing a little bit and he says, " You know, if you would have just kept on fishing that would have never happened!"

Crazy story for sure! Was his name Mike Garvie by chance?

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12846028 07/29/18 05:54 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Lol, that doesn't ring a bell Ken but I am horrible with names and have fished with so many co-anglers over the years it very well could be. Ask him if he had a boater buried under a tree at Eufaula. He's a pretty big guy, I sure was glad to see he hadn't exited the boat!

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12846150 07/29/18 08:05 PM
LakeForkLodge Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I remember the two men who had a bolt hit their engine while running wide open. The current traveled to the throttle and out the driver's hand. He had a hole in his right hand and one in his left thigh where the bolt came out. It was assumed that it jumped to the passenger but he didn't have a mark on him. Both were killed instantly as was the engine. The two were found adrift after the storm. When we heard the news here at the lodge, we still had a boat missing. Thankfully our guys were riding the storm out in a boathouse. The Dallas Morning News had an article the next week which said that lightning can strike you from as far away as 13 miles. That was all I needed to hear. No matter how well the fish are biting, my tail is on the bank when I can see lighting, no matter how far off it is.

---TFF Lodging Discounts--- Check Plugs and Announcements

Like us on Facebook for discounts on lodging and guide trips
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Fork-Lodge/337503322402
903-473-7236 www.lakeforklodge.com
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12846637 07/30/18 11:48 AM
F
FlatBack4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
About 40 years ago, I was on Lake Konawa in Oklahoma, when most of the above happened. I remember being out on the lake with my dad. I was about sixteen. We were floating north along the dam when we saw the clouds. We looked at each and agreed.. "It's gonna go around".

It didn't. We out ran everybody back to the south ramp and beached the boat, turned on the bilge pump, and headed for cover. Only three of twenty boats didn't sink including ours. Fishing tackle floating everywhere and a lot washed up 10-15 feet onto the bank.

We spent the rest of the wenching boats from bottom of the lake. Kind of an weird site seeing anchors sitting on the shore and the tight rope just heading out to the water then under.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12847108 07/30/18 06:04 PM
bsouth401 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Remember the guy who owned Cowboy Concrete in Ft. Work, Ken? May have been the same storm, I can't recall. But he was trying to make the run back in when lightning hit the front pedestal on his bow. Killed him and his partner instantly. They were found adrift in the east side boat lane. Pack and I came very close to being struck one December when a severe cold front came roaring in about four hours ahead of schedule. Since that day, if can hear thunder, I'm off the lake!

I remember that day, my brother and I were inside oak ridge watching it all from the big windows. They took him to the minnow bucket. We got off the water, it was bad that day..
In my opinion Fork is a Killer in an electrical storm, some lakes are known for other things like Grapevine, the Lew, Ray Hubbard, mostly drownings or boating collisions that have Fatalities.... Got caught in a hail storm on Fork in Media tournament, thought I was goner then, luckily only got hit in the head a few times... eeks nuts

If this was in the mid to late 90"s I was there too! I was loading my boat on the trailer when the lightning struck behind me! Thought I was a gonner! Me and my fishing buddy PK Tarpenning were fishing the west bank up against the trees and didn't see all the black clouds approaching. Suddenly our lines started sparkling and floating up! That was freaky! We quickly realed up and a started idleing away from the bank when we realized we had a storm barrleing down on us. Before we could idle out of the stumps and get on pad we were both drenched with rain. Ran right accross to the Oakridge boat ramp. As PK was pulling me off the boat ramp the lightning struck. We quicky took refruge in Oakrigde. I remember the Game Wardens, Ronnie Ward and Roger Steward telling me the story later of the recovery. Sad Deal for sure!

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: bsouth401] #12847210 07/30/18 08:04 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: bsouth401
Remember the guy who owned Cowboy Concrete in Ft. Work, Ken? May have been the same storm, I can't recall. But he was trying to make the run back in when lightning hit the front pedestal on his bow. Killed him and his partner instantly. They were found adrift in the east side boat lane. Pack and I came very close to being struck one December when a severe cold front came roaring in about four hours ahead of schedule. Since that day, if can hear thunder, I'm off the lake!

I remember that day, my brother and I were inside oak ridge watching it all from the big windows. They took him to the minnow bucket. We got off the water, it was bad that day..
In my opinion Fork is a Killer in an electrical storm, some lakes are known for other things like Grapevine, the Lew, Ray Hubbard, mostly drownings or boating collisions that have Fatalities.... Got caught in a hail storm on Fork in Media tournament, thought I was goner then, luckily only got hit in the head a few times... eeks nuts

If this was in the mid to late 90"s I was there too! I was loading my boat on the trailer when the lightning struck behind me! Thought I was a gonner! Me and my fishing buddy PK Tarpenning were fishing the west bank up against the trees and didn't see all the black clouds approaching. Suddenly our lines started sparkling and floating up! That was freaky! We quickly realed up and a started idleing away from the bank when we realized we had a storm barrleing down on us. Before we could idle out of the stumps and get on pad we were both drenched with rain. Ran right accross to the Oakridge boat ramp. As PK was pulling me off the boat ramp the lightning struck. We quicky took refruge in Oakrigde. I remember the Game Wardens, Ronnie Ward and Roger Steward telling me the story later of the recovery. Sad Deal for sure!

It was Brian, at least the one we remember....
I hope you and your family are well... cheers

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12847294 07/30/18 09:27 PM
bsouth401 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bsouth401

It was Brian, at least the one we remember....
I hope you and your family are well... cheers

Doing well Billy!

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide