Print Thread
What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive #12840728 07/25/18 01:05 AM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
So, I'm gonna go fishing for a few hours on Hubbard this afternoon. Mostly under the 30-bridge, but gonna check one other place. My wife is with me, as she likes to lounge and read her book. The bite has been quite slow this year, as compared to last year (my first year with a boat). The First Negative is, we get out to the boat launch, and I was ready to do the last thing for set-up. . . hook up the gas line to the motor. Yep, forgot to put the gas can in the back of the boat. (I have a 15' Jon Boat). The wife talked me into going home, getting the gas can and going back out. Good thing is, we are only 15mins from the launch.

So there we are, out under the 30-bridge fishing. Caught about 4 after 30ish minutes. And then it happened! ! ! The second Negative. I caught the biggest crappie I have ever caught. WOW! ! ! It was awesome! ! ! Got it in the boat, got it on the fish scale, it weighed 1.95lbs, held it out for my wife to get a pic of the fish and the scale, and that's when it happened. . . Fish thrashed around, and there it went into the water. Fish and Scale both. The only reason there is not a third negative is that I had the quick thinking NOT to jump in the water to retrieve it, thereby deploying my automatic PFD. Un-Flippin'-Believable! ! ! Biggest crappie I ever caught and fish scale right over the side.

Now for the Positive. . . I have recently installed a new Helix 9 Mega SI G2N. It is So Awesome. a couple of weeks ago, I found my very first brush pile with actual fish on it. It has been so stinkin' windy this year, I haven't been able to go out with my little boat. Got out there today and the brush pile was loaded with the crappie. Caught my first crappie on a brush pile. Yessssss! ! ! So I now have a grand total of ONE Waypoint in my Hummingbird. Yay. The only thing was, after I put my buoy out, it was hard for me to stay on it. I only caught the one fish, but that made the day for me. Simple pleasure of a Novice crappie fisherman. I would troll past it a couple of times to see where it was in reference to the buoy, but it was hard with the wind to stay on it. I have some learning to do. I also need to find more brush piles.

They say a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Only problem is, I now have to work an extra few hours to buy a new fish scale. Arrrrrrgh! ! !

Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Jezreel] #12840823 07/25/18 02:25 AM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
I dont know about all that. Im counting a lot more positives than that.

You got to go fishing. Positive
Your wife went with you. Not sure. Positive or negative. Your call
You caught a big fish-positive
You are learning your electronics, and found a brushpiles. Positive.
That whole scale deal. Negative

You mentioned work- 2 negatives.

3 positives. 3 negatives, and the one Im not sure about. Its going to be 4-3 either way.

Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Jezreel] #12840844 07/25/18 02:40 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Keep using and trusting your electronics. If you found one you can find others. I would start looking along protected shorelines that you can fish when it is windy. The lake I fish is relatively small so I can usually get where I need to even when it is windy. Due to the flatbottom it is still hard to stay on piles in open water even with the anchor lock trolling motor. The wind catches the flat front and it "walks" around much more than a v bow. But, I do make it work.

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Jezreel] #12840992 07/25/18 08:31 AM
S
SeaPro21 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
S
Great story Jezreel. conyoncreek06 I dont know if this helps but I have the ultera with spot lock and from the get go I was having problems keeping my anchor lock in one spot. It kept moving to far away from the spot and pretty much all over the place. Come to find out if you have your puck anywhere close to wiring or electronics it interferes and causes your anchor to go all over the place. I moved the puck to a better spot on the boat and sure enough my boat stays pretty much in the same spot.

Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Jezreel] #12841069 07/25/18 12:43 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Did your wife get a pic befor it went in the water?

Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Jezreel] #12841107 07/25/18 01:22 PM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Nooooooooo. . . The wife didnt even get the picture. Sheeeesh!

Thanks for the encouragement. Im still climbing the learning curve. I told my wife while I was around the brush pile, Ive only caught one on this brush pile, but I could stay here for hours trying. It was great just finding one with fish on it.

Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Jezreel] #12841138 07/25/18 01:53 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I know how you Feel Man...I remember being screamin' with excitement the first time I caught a fish off a brushpile I found...I think I sounded like a Little girl....Good thing I was by myself..LOL!!!!...I think it's all positive Sir!!!Even losing your scale..now you can get a better one and attach some kind of pool noodle foam to it or a float or something like that. thumb

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: What a Day. . . 2 Negatives / 1 Positive [Re: Davedave] #12841235 07/25/18 03:05 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Davedave
I dont know about all that. Im counting a lot more positives than that.

You got to go fishing. Positive
Your wife went with you. Not sure. Positive or negative. Your call
You caught a big fish-positive
You are learning your electronics, and found a brushpiles. Positive.
That whole scale deal. Negative

You mentioned work- 2 negatives.

3 positives. 3 negatives, and the one Im not sure about. Its going to be 4-3 either way.

I was gonna say next time you catch that fish on the brushpile if the scale is still hooked to him he might be a 3lbr! That could be a positive!!! roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide