Forums59
Topics1,038,956
Posts13,956,396
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Clark3] #12837134 07/22/18 03:18 AM
T
Techsan4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Clark3
Originally Posted By: Cmack
Originally Posted By: Chet
I could be wrong but think the NRX is still built in the north west.

You would be correct Chet, as are several others.

You are both wrong. Assembled yes, everything else from China

Do you have a source? What makes you say Chet and Cmack are wrong?

Tackle Warehouse website says in Loomis rod descriptions, "Manufactured in the USA, like all G.Loomis rods." Notice it specifically says MANUFACTURED in USA, not just assembled.

Here is a video of the blank making process...at the Loomis facility...in Washington (USA):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3Q9cpWhQo

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Techsan4] #12837162 07/22/18 03:39 AM
C
Cmack Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Techsan4
Originally Posted By: Clark3
Originally Posted By: Cmack
Originally Posted By: Chet
I could be wrong but think the NRX is still built in the north west.

You would be correct Chet, as are several others.

You are both wrong. Assembled yes, everything else from China

Do you have a source? What makes you say Chet and Cmack are wrong?

Tackle Warehouse website says in Loomis rod descriptions, "Manufactured in the USA, like all G.Loomis rods." Notice it specifically says MANUFACTURED in USA, not just assembled.

Here is a video of the blank making process...at the Loomis facility...in Washington (USA):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3Q9cpWhQo

Bingo! I researched it quite a bit this evening and could find nothing to dispute them being made in the USA

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Ibock] #12837412 07/22/18 02:35 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
"Manufactured in USA" is legal speak for "made in china". Lol.

Made in USA means MADE IN USA.

Edit.... AND ONLY "Made in USA" means made in USA.

Anything else is legally misrepresenting the source of the product.

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 07/22/18 02:47 PM.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Ibock] #12837427 07/22/18 03:00 PM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Hard to warranty a rod you build. 😂

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: mossyback75] #12837435 07/22/18 03:09 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: mossyback75
Absolutely. So many good blanks on the market now. Phenix line up alone IMHO is superior to Loomis. StCroix is another line up to look into.

My arsenal is entirely Batson Rainshadow blanks. Their series consist of Revelation which is their lower modulous line up. A little heavier in weight but smooth stout dependable blanks. Those are their work horse. The middle modulous are the Immortal series. Love these blanks. Have built Med through XH casting and put these rods to work. Their high modulous series are the Eternity line. Just as good if not better than any Loomis ever made. Light as a feather, crisp, and strong.

I put carbon fiber grips and Fugi KR concept guides on all my builds. The sensitivity through the Carbon grips makes cork or EVA obsolete. It's practically like holding the blank. Transfer of vibration is ludicrous.

One of my friends on here, Derek Grier built some VERY high end spinning rods for dropshotting with Phenix blanks. He spent $350 on just materials ALONE for One rod he made for me. So to answer your question, Yes you absolutely can build a rod superior to the NRX but you have to consider what your time is worth.

Last edited by Ken A.; 07/22/18 03:09 PM.

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: DBFishing83] #12837438 07/22/18 03:10 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: flukeman83
.... yep ....
Get a hold of Ron at Reel Time Rods, located at Lake Fork Popes Landing

lol

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12837482 07/22/18 03:38 PM
T
Techsan4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Again...do you have a source saying that G Loomis rods aren't made in the USA? I included a video of the blank making process at their factory in my last post. Are you implying that G Loomis and Tackle Warehouse staged the video?

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Techsan4] #12837496 07/22/18 03:55 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Techsan4

Again...do you have a source saying that G Loomis rods aren't made in the USA? I included a video of the blank making process at their factory in my last post. Are you implying that G Loomis and Tackle Warehouse staged the video?

Not implying anything. Just stating that manufactured in USA is legal way to say made somewhere else beside in the United States. Either the product in part or in whole. Maybe they state that because the parts used aren't made in USA? Fuji components come to mind here. They are not made in the states.

Edit....

In a way I guess I am implying that they had to say "manufactured in the USA", since a certain percentage of critical components to the rod are NOT made here. Since , legally, they cannot say Made in USA. Due to their build not using a high enough percentage of USA made parts.

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 07/22/18 04:05 PM.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Ibock] #12837526 07/22/18 04:24 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Assembled in the USA is also misleading.

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12837536 07/22/18 04:44 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Not true. Manufactures in the USA has the exact meaning as made in the USA acoording to the FTC.
The majority of the parts and cost must be made in the USA to get this stamp. There are a lot of examples on their web page. Plus I know personally that the NRX rods are made in the Washington plant. I have an old friend that has worked for Loomis and now Shimano for 25 years.

Last edited by 9094; 07/22/18 04:45 PM.
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: 9094] #12837551 07/22/18 05:00 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: 9094

Not true. Manufactures in the USA has the exact meaning as made in the USA acoording to the FTC.
The majority of the parts and cost must be made in the USA to get this stamp. There are a lot of examples on their web page. Plus I know personally that the NRX rods are made in the Washington plant. I have an old friend that has worked for Loomis and now Shimano for 25 years.

Yes. It is true.

Manufactured in the USA means that NOT ALL OF THE COMPONENTS are domestic. It means the exact same thing as assembled in USA from foreign and domestic parts. It is not 100% US made. So, legally, it cannot say "Made in USA".

It can say made in Washington, Handcrafted by Washington Natives in our Washington plant
...anything but MADE IN USA. if it says MADE IN USA, it has to meet the set requirements of percentages of domestic critical parts.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12837553 07/22/18 05:04 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

Yes. It is true.

Manufactured in the USA means that NOT ALL OF THE COMPONENTS are domestic. It means the exact same thing as assembled in USA from foreign and domestic parts. It is not 100% US made. So, legally, it cannot say "Made in USA".

This is correct. Made in the USA is 100%, all other phrases mean it's not 100%.

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Ibock] #12837589 07/22/18 05:40 PM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
My partner fishes exclusively with custom rods that a guy builds out of Houston. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt you can build one as good or better. Components are key and when its all said and done its a $550 rod. Pick your poison, Im sure you wont save any money building rods by any means because you will be quickly adding to your own personal stash. Kinda like reloading ammo, you dont save more you just shoot more. On a side note the blank manufacturer will warranty a broken blank but you pray you can salvage $120 eyes etc to rebuild.

Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: Ibock] #12837619 07/22/18 06:04 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Looks like you can still buy Loomis blanks so yes, if you have the skill set.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Can I build a rod better than a G Loomis NRX? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12837896 07/22/18 11:04 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Yes. It is true.

It can say made in Washington, Handcrafted by Washington Natives in our Washington plant
...anything but MADE IN USA. if it says MADE IN USA, it has to meet the set requirements of percentages of domestic critical parts.

The point is that those rods are still built in Washington state. Not overseas. The guides are made overseas and Im sure the reel seat is but the main component that one buys in a rod is THE ROD and NRX blanks are made in the USA.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide