Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
"Growing The Sport" #12834287 07/19/18 08:00 PM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
I hear this phrase all the time. From where I sit, a 36 year old who's been fishing all his life, for a "sport" that started out as recreation and for some, putting food on the table, as of now--it's grown pretty big. I understand that "growing the sport" has meant better equipment for all, and that certainly has its advantages. I'll also concede to some degree that without interest and money in, programs like TPWD might not take as good of care of our lakes because the demand would not be there. Other than that, the desire to "grow the sport" seems a little counter-intuitive for the average angler. Fish, water, etc. are not like basketballs--they are a finite resource. Seeking to increase the pressure put on them and the number of anglers competing for the same finite resource is only going to make it more challenging for me to enjoy catching fish. It means more guys sitting on the spots I planned to fish, and fewer bites that I am likely to get, no? So, when I hear the phrase "grow the sport," I assume that person is employed in the fishing industry and therefore has a very real desire to increase their consumer base, or they just haven't thought through what "growing the sport" means. Prove me wrong--am I off-base here?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834301 07/19/18 08:13 PM
I
Ian Fellenbaum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Simple answer. The more people fish, more money is spent on fishing.

STORAGE CONTAINERS TO GO
Sales-Rentals-Rent to Own
Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834302 07/19/18 08:14 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
"Growing the sport" IMO means you did something or contributed in a way that made the sport more popular, easier and cheaper to enjoy or participate in. How's that ?

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834304 07/19/18 08:16 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Grow the perspective buyers of the future, someone has gotta buy all this over priced equipment- right - ...

I'm an old, I remember the golden years of bass fishing, that can be relative to your age group...
It's just not as fun as it was once for me, don't get me wrong, I still LOVE to fish, it doesn't have to be bass, I love the salt too.. Anyway, I have to agree in general with the OP... But, the TP&W, has always been a step ahead of most other states IMO .. thumb big thumbs up to them boys, thank you for all the wonderful memories...

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834306 07/19/18 08:16 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I am with you JB, I think the sport needs to start dying off. I am not interested in seeing anymore people on the water....ever. Of course, I dont make a living on the sport so I may be a little biased.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834322 07/19/18 08:39 PM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
I'll also concede to some degree that without interest and money in, programs like TPWD might not take as good of care of our lakes because the demand would not be there.

In my opinion TPWD did more with less when I started fishing many years ago. Take a look at Striper and Hybrid stockings for example. When I was a kid TPWD stocked both Striper and Hybrids in Ray Hubbard and Tawokoni. Now those stockings are done by non profit sportsman associations because TPWD don't do it anymore despite all these new fishing license sales. That's just one example.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834340 07/19/18 08:50 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
So, the question now is: How can we convince people it's not cool to fish? banana

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: Shallow Waters] #12834345 07/19/18 08:53 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
I am with you JB, I think the sport needs to start dying off. I am not interested in seeing anymore people on the water....ever. Of course, I dont make a living on the sport so I may be a little biased.

It will die off... Just like duck hunting, it blew up for about 4-5 years and its finally starting to die back off. I believe the same will happen to fishing in the next couple of years.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834438 07/19/18 09:48 PM
C
Cmack Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The use of the word "SPORT" says it all. I've been bass fishing 50+ years and initially it was considered a pass time or recreation if you will. Along came Ray Scott and got the competitive ball rolling and the train began to derail. Seems the idea of competition brings out the absolute worst in many people. I actually have friends that gave up bass fishing when they could no longer dedicate the time and expenses that tournament fishing require. How sad. Over the years, I've experienced an increasing amount of rudeness and arrogance both on the water, at ramps, at tackle shops, etc. All that being said, when I hear someone speak of growing the sport my hackles begin to rise.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834446 07/19/18 09:52 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I hope it dies off but I doubt it. You have the Bass Pro shops of the world, boat makers, equipment makers and tournaments that are all pushing for more money. They aren't going to let it die off without a fight. Look how they have started college and high school teams for tournaments and trying to grow that. From my perspective, I'd love to see it die off and get back to what it was 20 years ago but I doubt that will ever happen. As long as someone can try to make a dime off of it it will continue. Just look at all the people who video themselves in hopes of being the next youtube sensation.

I guess we'll just have to feel lucky that we were lucky when we were younger and got to experience fishing for what it was IMO really meant to be.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834489 07/19/18 10:14 PM
Outlaw Outdoors Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
There are two sides to this conversation with neither of them being wrong.

The first side would be the recreational fishermen, which is where I believe the OP stands. Yes, the recent growth is impeding on you. You rarely get to enjoy that quiet sunrise or sunset like you did 15 years ago. You never get the close parking spots at your local ramp anymore because those dang tournament guys are there way too early! There is always a boat on or around your favorite fishing hole. I feel for you. The growth has definitely taken the peace and serenity away for you.

The other side is the tournament angler, which is where I fall. We are the ones that cause the early morning roar on the water, the wakes under all of the bridges, the crowded boat ramps and crowd you on your secret fishing hole. Economically, the "growth of the sport" has done great things for areas around lakes, especially the more popular lakes. Real estate prices increased, new restaurants popped up, cabins are now for rent in the middle of no where and local tackle stores are doing well. The online tackle and accessory business is booming along with a lot of boat dealers and manufacturers, but I think the biggest part of the "growing of the sport" is simply the number of high school kids that have gotten into the sport. I believe a lot of these kids aren't the jocks of the high school...they aren't the class favorites. A lot of them are kids that would have gotten lost in the mix had it not been for high school fishing. I personally have a family friend whose son was born with a speech impediment. He was shy and never spoke unless spoken to. He was not going to be a cool kid and was likely going to be the one picked on all throughout high school. Guess what - he and his dad started fishing and they dedicated a lot of time to it. The kid got to where he could catch fish and could consistently place in the top 50 in the SETX tournaments on Rayburn. By his junior year, he had established himself as someone who was good at something, and he had an identity. In 2017, as a senior, he finished in the top 10 in AOY in SETX out of 550+ teams. I'll argue 'til dark that this sport made that kid who he is today. Oh, and you ask what is he doing now? He has a sales job where he deals with the public everyday - and he still talks a little funny, but fishing gave him so much self confidence, that he refuses to let it hold him back.

Like I said earlier, there's no right or wrong answer to this. It's just part of the ever-changing world we live in today, and we have to embrace it. Luckily, there are organizations that allow some of these kids that would possibly be lost in life to find a hobby and hopefully it leads them to a more productive purpose in this ol' harsh world we live in today.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834503 07/19/18 10:22 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
When you grow something it takes a lot of care. You have to do it right or it will not reach it's potential. As a old coach when we talk about growing a sport; I thank of the young people just starting and how to help them become the best they can be.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834510 07/19/18 10:27 PM
W
Weavertree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Retirement opens the lakes back up to recreational fishermen...I love Monday A.M.s on the water; and Tuesdays, Wednesdays..... You get the picture. Weekends are for yard work! My wife and I used to smile when we passed golf courses when we had to fish weekends and prayed they would grow that sport and keep them off the lakes. The world needs more golfers and slow pitch softball teams!

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: jbcarroll3000] #12834513 07/19/18 10:29 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Look at high school fishing. Every day there are more and more high schools joining the "tour". So you all think when theses kids graduate
that they are NOT going to keep on fishing and now competing against you in local tournament and opens of all sizes.

They all will have the goal of becoming "pros" and fishing for a living which will continue to drive the sport. And even though few will actually reach the highest level many will stick around to keep all of the tackle providers busy way beyond our lifetimes.

Even grade schoolers want to be on teams.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: "Growing The Sport" [Re: ETXfisher91] #12834546 07/19/18 10:47 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: ETXfisher91
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

It will die off... Just like duck hunting, it blew up for about 4-5 years and its finally starting to die back off. I believe the same will happen to fishing in the next couple of years.

You didn't have high school duck hunting teams etc. You didn't have college fishing teams. It ain't dying off anytime soon. Just watch how many entries are at the Lake Fork HS Open this weekend.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide