12063725 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12833658 - 07/19/18 07:45 AM Bait fish in shallow water
Hog Jaw Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: The Great State of Texas
Went to the local beach yesterday , bunch of bait fish 1 - 2 1/2 inches swimming in very shallow water , water temp had to be in 90ís , spotted a nice bass chasing couple of them , you guys fish that shallow in 108 degree temp , I will now if there is a sandy beach near by .

#12833675 - 07/19/18 07:58 AM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
Dubee Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Godley Tx
I fish that shallow year round

#12833698 - 07/19/18 08:12 AM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
Kisndismis Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Kingwood, TX
I hooked into a fish this last Sat, surface temp 91, and when I dropped the net in the boat, shad jumped like scattering mullet. Bass were pushing them up on a shallow bank, caught 3 more, too bad they were all shorts, but I think they were there for a while. I am tempted to go try that spot Sat as it is close to a ramp. It is so hot here, gotta be out early.

#12834259 - 07/19/18 02:35 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
sdgull Online   content
Angler

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
Went to the local beach yesterday , bunch of bait fish 1 - 2 1/2 inches swimming in very shallow water , water temp had to be in 90ís , spotted a nice bass chasing couple of them , you guys fish that shallow in 108 degree temp , I will now if there is a sandy beach near by .

Yes, Iím catching them up shallow, open water, in clear water, from 5:30am-11:00am. Basically sight fishing. After 11 the bite seems to slow down for me until about 5pm-6pm and then I start catching them again but in the shade.

-Steve

#12834283 - 07/19/18 02:52 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
GIG'EM AGGIES Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw

I've fished around a few sunny beaches at Lake Fork, lol.
I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I donít have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I donít have a curfew I have a driverís license,a car and I have a bass boat.

Duct tape won't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound, lol.
illegitimi non carborundum

#12834991 - 07/20/18 06:31 AM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
TajChauvin Offline
Outdoorsman

Donít waste yours time catching those small fish shallow. There are no big fish shallow this time of year. Buy the best graphs you can and fish as deep as you can. [b][/b]

#12835000 - 07/20/18 06:54 AM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: TajChauvin]
Dubee Online   content
Extreme Angler

Originally Posted By: TajChauvin
Donít waste yours time catching those small fish shallow. There are no big fish shallow this time of year. Buy the best graphs you can and fish as deep as you can. [b][/b]

Lol

#12835043 - 07/20/18 07:50 AM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: TajChauvin]
Mark Perry Online   content

Loc: Highway 1

That's funny right there if you are being serious. Anyone that thinks big fish do not live shallow this time of year is missing out.

#12835714 - 07/20/18 03:34 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Mark Perry]
Dubee Online   content
Extreme Angler

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

That's funny right there if you are being serious. Anyone that thinks big fish do not live shallow this time of year is missing out.

What's bad is some people do believe that.

#12835795 - 07/20/18 04:27 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Sulphur Springs TX
Had a guy one year that thought the same thing.We fished out on ledges and creek bends and never caught a fish over 5 lbs. Took him to a tree I knew that feel over a fence many years ago in 3 ft of water.

It was mid July and 103 air temp. We were throwing 10 inch worms TX/rig. I told him to throw in between the fence post. He looked at me and got mad that we ran a longs ways to fish a little spot in shallow water.

He said I hired you out for one fish and I told you I only wanted a DD. I can assure you there is not a DD that shallow in this heat. I said well we have fished 18-25 ft and we have only caught fish up to 5 lbs so what do we have to lose.

He threw his worm in like kids throwing rocks in the water and was not happy I had him there. I said just fish it. He looks at me a says have you ever caught a DD there I replied nope. He says well there you go.

I said I have caught so many 8-9 pounder's there that one day it will happen. They do not live there but it is like a Whataburger drive through. When the come through here to pick up there order we catch them.

I got a real goofy look from the guy after that reply. Anyhow after about 7-8 cast I see him go on point. He sets the hook and oh yeah she jumps and he took a c r a p on my deck. LOL

We both knew she was huge. Landed the fish she weighed 11.7 smile After measuring and taking pictures we released her. Pulled back over to the log/tree and I made a few cast while he called everyone about his fish. I caught one over 8 off the same tree.

He looks and me and says well Marc I guess I don't know a lot about fishing cause I thought in no way a fish like that would be shallow in this heat. I laughed and replied that is why I get paid the Big Bucks.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell (07/24/18 01:43 PM)

www.mitchellsguideservice.com
www.lakeforktxguide.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.zmanfishing.com
www.keelguard.com
www.Xcitebaits.com
www.viperxplures.com
www.lews.com
Owner/Designer Of Viper XP Jig/Lures
57-DD PB 13.83
Lake Fork Guide Since 1982

#12835828 - 07/20/18 04:52 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell]
Frank the Tank Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Hideaway, TX
Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
Had a guy one year that thought the same thing.We fished out on ledges and creek bends and never caught a fish over 5 lbs. Took him to a tree I knew that feel over a fence many years ago in 3 ft of water.

It was mid July and 103 air temp. We were throwing 10 inch worms TX/rig. I told him to throw in between the fence post. He looked at me and got mad that we ran a longs ways to fish a little spot in shallow water.

He said I hired you out for one fish and I told you I only wanted a DD. I can assure you there is not a DD that shallow in this heat. I said well we have fished 18-25 ft and we have only caught fish up to 5 lbs so what do we have to lose.

He threw his worm in like kids throwing rocks in the water and was not happy I had him there. I said just fish it. He looks at me a says have you ever caught a DD there I replied nope. He says well there you go.

I said I have caught some many 8-9 pounders there that one day it will happen. They do not live there but it is like a Whataburger drive through. When the come through here to pick up there order we catch them.

I got a real goofy look from the guy after that reply. Anyhow after about 7-8 cast I see him go on point. He sets the hook and oh yeah she jumps and he took a c r a p on my deck. LOL

We both knew she was huge. Landed the fish she weighed 11.7 smile After measuring and taking pictures we released her. Pulled back over to the log/tree and I made a few cast while he called everyone about his fish. I caught one over 8 off the same tree.

He looks and me and says well Marc I guess I dont know alot about fishing cause I thought in no way a fish like that would be shallow in this heat. I laughed and replied that is why I get paid the Big Bucks.

Just thought I would pass this along.

AWESOME story Marc.... glad the guy was able to swallow his pride and give you props.

#12835833 - 07/20/18 04:59 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
TajChauvin Offline
Outdoorsman

Great story! The more people believe the hype, the longer I get to keep those shallow laydows to myself. In 6 months living back in Texas I have yet to fish deeper than 4 feet.

#12835989 - 07/20/18 07:02 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
Minner Bucket Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: San Antonio
Bunches and bunches of bait fish in less than 2 ft. Of water today on Canyon. A few nice ones up there too that liked my top water wink

#12836170 - 07/20/18 09:25 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Crandall, TX
Catching them at Fork in 2í. Caught 3 from 21Ē-22Ē in last three weeks

#12840464 - 07/24/18 04:12 PM Re: Bait fish in shallow water [Re: Hog Jaw]
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Sulphur Springs TX
thumb

www.mitchellsguideservice.com
www.lakeforktxguide.com