10064421 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12830154 - 07/16/18 12:10 PM Ultrex questions
Nitroguy Offline
Green Horn

Loc: Oklahoma
I'm pulling the trigger on a 24v 80# Ultrex next month. I just bought a new Helix 5 gps/di at the first of this month, I've read that there is an adaptor cable to allow the helix 5 to work with the built in transducer, but will the down imaging still work, or will I have to use the transducer I have now and mount it on the motor?

#12830186 - 07/16/18 12:37 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
H2ODawg67 Offline
Angler

Loc: Kansas
If you buy the ultrex yes you will have to use your transducer to get di. The ducer in the ultrex will only give you 2d sonar. Hummingbird is coming out with a trolling motor with the di ducer built in. I don't know the price on it. The only advantage is it is plug and play (you dont have cables running down the exterior of your shaft). If all you had was a di unit I would probably get the bird trolling motor. If you have si you would still have to mount your ducer to the troller and the si ducer has the di crystals in it.

Edited by H2ODawg67 (07/16/18 12:38 PM)

#12830200 - 07/16/18 12:49 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: H2ODawg67]
forkduc Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Plano,Texas
That would be Minnkota,not Hummingbird.

#12830235 - 07/16/18 01:22 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
bradnitro175 Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Dallas,tx
Might as well wait, the cables are a pain if you mount your own transducer.

#12830622 - 07/16/18 07:17 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
El Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Kissimmee,FL
Originally Posted By: Nitroguy
I'm pulling the trigger on a 24v 80# Ultrex next month. I just bought a new Helix 5 gps/di at the first of this month, I've read that there is an adaptor cable to allow the helix 5 to work with the built in transducer, but will the down imaging still work, or will I have to use the transducer I have now and mount it on the motor?

FWTW, I was considering an Ultrex back in April, did some research, saw on this and other bass boards Ultrex problems galore and still happening on
a daily basis.
I'm waiting till bugs are worked out, considering a 2019 Skeeter FX20 with a Fortrex instead of the Ultrex.
No offense to Ultrex owners ,just my preference.
Best of luck with your TM choice.

#12830625 - 07/16/18 07:20 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: El Skeeter]
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: San Angelo
Originally Posted By: El Skeeter

FWTW, I was considering an Ultrex back in April, did some research, saw on this and other bass boards Ultrex problems galore and still happening on
a daily basis.
I'm waiting till bugs are worked out, considering a 2019 Skeeter FX20 with a Fortrex instead of the Ultrex.

You will be regretting that decision once you fish with an Ultrex.

#12830635 - 07/16/18 07:28 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
Clark3 Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Haslet, TX
Get an ultrex, buy a cheap used fortrex for a backup. Haven’t had any ultrex issues but my uncles did. Borris marine had it warrantied and fixed in 5 days.

You can mount a fortrex on an ultrex Mount in a matter of minutes if you’re worried about having problems

#12830645 - 07/16/18 07:33 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
Court Offline
Angler

Loc: Royse City / Emory
I waited it out too before I went Ultrex. I don't care if this thing breaks weekly, I'll never go back!

Edited by Court (07/16/18 09:53 PM)

#12830911 - 07/16/18 09:44 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
bradnitro175 Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Dallas,tx
This^ but if there makeing a built in downscan what's another month or 2

Edited by bradnitro175 (07/16/18 09:45 PM)
Edit Reason: Auto bs

#12831907 - 07/17/18 06:32 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: El Skeeter]
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Mansfield, Tx.
Originally Posted By: El Skeeter

a daily basis.

Bad idea.

#12831923 - 07/17/18 06:41 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: NRH/Fork ! GET THE NET
I have a headache,... bang

#12831985 - 07/17/18 07:19 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: JIM SR.]
GIG'EM AGGIES Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

It'll be ok Jim, sooner or later they all come around. The advice/info I got on here convinced me, Ultrex first go around. It's like having a fishing buddy. thumb
I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I don’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I don’t have a curfew I have a driver’s license,a car and I have a bass boat.

Duct tape won't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound, lol.
illegitimi non carborundum

#12832051 - 07/17/18 07:54 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: Nitroguy]
SteezMacQueen Online   sleepy
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Red Oak, Galveston, and Pagosa...
I have one of the very first ones made. Only issue it's had was me. I abuse it. I use it two 12 hour days a week and two 3 hour days a week. Every week. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. I bought mine and installed it on a boat I was selling, knowing it would make life easier and allow me to take my time shopping for a new boat. It made a total POS of a boat liveable. It's now on a MUCH nicer, bigger, faster, more fishable boat....and it's still the best thing about the boat. Period.

As for my "issue"? I ground the motor head and prop into some rocks and then tried to turn the motor. Snapped a cable. MinnKota said no problem....even though it was my fault. I opted to spend the $12 on a new cable and fix it myself. They said that the new cables are thicker.....so I bought both....they gave me overnight shipping.

Couldn't ask for more from a company or a trolling motor.

The guys that say "they're waiting for the bugs to get worked out" are either not committed enough to fishing to pay for the best, or their other half told them no. Simple.

#12832131 - 07/17/18 08:38 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: SteezMacQueen]
GIG'EM AGGIES Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I have one of the very first ones made. Only issue it's had was me. I abuse it. I use it two 12 hour days a week and two 3 hour days a week. Every week. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. I bought mine and installed it on a boat I was selling, knowing it would make life easier and allow me to take my time shopping for a new boat. It made a total POS of a boat liveable. It's now on a MUCH nicer, bigger, faster, more fishable boat....and it's still the best thing about the boat. Period.

As for my "issue"? I ground the motor head and prop into some rocks and then tried to turn the motor. Snapped a cable. MinnKota said no problem....even though it was my fault. I opted to spend the $12 on a new cable and fix it myself. They said that the new cables are thicker.....so I bought both....they gave me overnight shipping.

Couldn't ask for more from a company or a trolling motor.

The guys that say "they're waiting for the bugs to get worked out" are either not committed enough to fishing to pay for the best, or their other half told them no. Simple.

There's a lot of fishing related stuff that's not worth what you pay for it but the Ultrex ain't one of'em. Now
$110,000 for a bass boat ??????
I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I don’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I don’t have a curfew I have a driver’s license,a car and I have a bass boat.

Duct tape won't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound, lol.
illegitimi non carborundum

#12832155 - 07/17/18 08:59 PM Re: Ultrex questions [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES]
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: NRH/Fork ! GET THE NET
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

It'll be ok Jim, sooner or later they all come around. The advice/info I got on here convinced me, Ultrex first go around. It's like having a fishing buddy. thumb

I understand guys wanting to get the right trolling motor, I think the problem is spending all that money, and not getting what you wanted. It's also a slow learning curve cause its you and the new trolling motor.

I'm on my second Minnkota Terrova, and still don't know half of what it will do...but it does everything I want,
and I have an open invite to anyone that wants to go for a test drive with me before ya pull the trigger.
I'm at Fork 3-4 days a week, send me a pm, and we'll meet up, I'll show ya how mine works...but I;m no pro.
I love it...jim

Edited by JIM SR. (07/17/18 09:00 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide