Forum Stats
108427 Members
61 Forums
777371 Topics
10026836 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#12825291 - 07/12/18 07:07 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler

Loc: Rockwall,TX
Here is a short video I took of them. I uploaded it to YouTube so I could share. This is a very small clip of what they were doing all the way down the shore.
https://youtu.be/Ulj3W_m-52I

#12825430 - 07/12/18 09:08 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Angler

Maybe they are spraying a liquid fertilizer. roflmao

#12825442 - 07/12/18 09:17 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
David Burton Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: McKinney, TX
Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer
Here is a short video I took of them. I uploaded it to YouTube so I could share. This is a very small clip of what they were doing all the way down the shore.

Short video, but looks like they are focused on the hyacinth... the last time they sprayed that on Fork it didn’t harm the coontail, elodea, and pondweed too much.

...and down goes PhotoBucket with the new Terms of Service... I predict they will be out of business or begging for forgiveness inside a month. 6/30/2017

#12825452 - 07/12/18 09:22 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
kyle31 Offline
Outdoorsman

I think that leafy shoreline stuff is actually invasive. Not sure what it's hurting though, especially in the back of Birch. Takes a dang tank to get back there in the first place. Maybe they'll spray all of that and burn through their yearly contract budget before they find any of the good milfoil/hydrilla beds.

The instant salvina is found everything else takes a back seat. So in a weird way it can kinda help protect the other grass. Their gonna dump x amount of poison every year. Might as well go on stuff not beneficial to fishing or less beneficial shoreline stuff.

#12825464 - 07/12/18 09:25 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: David Burton]
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: David Burton

Short video, but looks like they are focused on the hyacinth... the last time they sprayed that on Fork it didn’t harm the coontail, elodea, and pondweed too much.
Originally Posted By: David Burton

You could be and I hope you are right, but I didn’t see them “selectively spraying”. They started on one side of that pocket, went all the way to the back, and out the other side, spraying everything at the bank. Then they crossed 2946 and headed towards double branch and did the same thing. But they are the experts and I’m not.

#12825537 - 07/12/18 10:27 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
Cole P Offline
Outdoorsman

I am familiar with the Lochow Ranch group, they are an upstanding group. From my limited knowledge, the main bulk of there business is maintaining private bass fisheries here in Texas; however, they are licensed by the state to apply aquatic herbicides. An event such as this would have been OK'd by the state, Lochow has no interest in spraying chemicals in 100 deg. weather in July, other than to make money.

It appears that that they are spraying for "emergent" plants (Cattails, lily pads, hyacinth etc.) rather than "submerged" plants (hydrilla, coontail etc.). The product they are most likely using is an aquatic herbicide called Rodeo; the main active ingredient is glyphosate.

Edited by Cole P (07/12/18 10:28 AM)

Private Water Fishing
P: (214) 871-0044
C: (214) 460-7630
E: cporter@privatewaterfishing
E: info@privatewaterfishing

#12825601 - 07/12/18 11:12 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
Rog Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Carrollton
Last time was in that pocket a few weeks ago there was no hyacinth......could have blown in perhaps. Was some submergent vegetation and alligator grass. Good to see proof of the black helicopters. smile. Don’t get the need to dump poison in the lake in areas without savinia. Those that say it doesn’t kill or affect the submergent “too bad”.......everytime they spray it’s gone in a couple of weeks and takes years to return. Don’t get the need to spray and really don’t like chemicals introduced to the environment unless absolutely required.

#12825690 - 07/12/18 11:56 AM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: Cole P]
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: Cole P
The product they are most likely using is an aquatic herbicide called Rodeo; the main active ingredient is glyphosate.

Let’s hope they aren’t spraying glyphosate, although I’d bet it is. For people who don’t know, the more common brand name for glyphosate is Roundup. The company that makes glyphosate is Monsanto. Monsanto is currently on trial for glyphosate causing cancer... and we’re putting it into our water supply.

#12825858 - 07/12/18 01:39 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
Ranger1 Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Allen, Texas
I don't see it being a big deal. They have been spraying Fork for many years and the lake is still producing quiet well. Some of you guys need to reach way up your crack and pull your panties out. It's all going to be alright.

#12825912 - 07/12/18 02:17 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: Ranger1]
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
I don't see it being a big deal. They have been spraying Fork for many years and the lake is still producing quiet well. Some of you guys need to reach way up your crack and pull your panties out. It's all going to be alright.

I don’t think being concerned about the care of our public waters means we are wearing panties. I only question if there isn’t an invasive species taking over, why spend the public’s resources?

#12826002 - 07/12/18 03:04 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
Jaret Latta Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Austin, Tx/Nacogdoches, Tx
They sprayed Rayburn up north for hyacinth this year. Not a big deal and I'd rather them spray it when it's low density rather than wait unitl its infested and they have to spray a ton

#12826080 - 07/12/18 03:55 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
buda13 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX
Originally Posted By: Ranger1

I don’t think being concerned about the care of our public waters means we are wearing panties. I only question if there isn’t an invasive species taking over, why spend the public’s resources?

I believe care of our public waters is why they are spraying to begin with.... if you wait until it reaches taking over stage its to late. Lets not forget folks, they are targeting an INVASIVE SPECIES not just spraying to spray. I'm a shallow water grass fishing kind of guy, but anytime I feel the need to question the spraying of invasives I think back to when they waited to long on Toledo Bend after flood waters pushed in a bunch of Hyacinth and Salvinia in 2009-2010. Entire creeks looked like dry land. Massive amounts of chemicals were sprayed via air boat and helicopter for weeks that hardly put a dent in it. It was awful... TPWD will never let that happen to Fork.

#12826188 - 07/12/18 05:01 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Lake Fork, Texas
I sure wish that “invasive” hydrilla would occupy every square inch of water under 15ft.

#12826193 - 07/12/18 05:04 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: Cameron]
Chris B Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Prosper, TX
Originally Posted By: Cameron
I sure wish that “invasive” hydrilla would occupy every square inch of water under 15ft.

Never gonna happen again with all this spraying.

I hate photobucket.

#12826267 - 07/12/18 06:06 PM Re: Spraying Grass at Fork today [Re: BassBucknBeer]
champRD Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: plano,tx
Cole, why would any lily pads or cattails be on there list ? I seriously doubt that pads and or cattails are on there hit list, but I'm sure it's collateral damage. If that's the case go look at Purtis Creek and see how that works out. I agree in controlling it before it's gets to bad like toledo bend but I'm sure the spraying contracts don't allow for careful and time consuming specific spraying. You get what you pay for. Your right about the 100 degree whether and spraying, Rodeo is more effective in hotter temperatures. They can blanket area's and it more cost effective.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide