Print Thread
Too late to enjoy fishing? #12812436 07/01/18 04:31 PM
A
AznTxGuy Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
So I'm in my 40s and probably been fishing 4 times in my life and those time someone had rigged the pole for me and unhook the fish as well. Last week I took my family to Broken Bow, OK and suddenly had an urge to want to fish. I want to teach my girls how to fish but how can I teach them when I really don't know it myself.

I have watched YouTube videos and read up article about starting up fishing. So I know the basic (kinda). Went out to buy a few fishing poles and startup lures (mostly plastic worms). I live close to Joe Pool so went they to try fishing on the bank. Spent 5 hours with absolutely no catch. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong and don't want to give up but need some advice.

Does anyone have any luck in fishing at Joe Pool? Is there something I need to look for when finding a good spot? How the heck do I know which lures to use? There are so many choices, my brain hurts. I never realize fishing can be so complicated, types of lines, types of weight, type of lures, type of poles, types of fish, etc...

I like to bring home just one fish so my kids can see I can do it and hopefully encourage them to come out with me but as of now, it has been unsuccessful.

Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12812452 07/01/18 05:05 PM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Joe Pool has a good population of bass,crappie, catfish and bluegills. But one cannot just set up on the bank and catch them. I would suggest that you start at Lynn Creek Marina fishing barge. You can catch crappie, catfish, bluegills and carp from the barge.

At this time of year the fish bite early in the morning. The barge opens at 6 AM. By 8:30 the fish have quit biting. Start with something easy. Bluegills are the usual beginner's fish. Use a #8 gold Aberdeen hook tied on the end of your line. Pinch a # 3 lead sinker about 10 inches above the hook and attach a 1" diameter plastic float about 2 feet above the sinker. Bait the hook with a 1 inch piece of Canadian night crawler. Cast the bait towards the rocks on the parking lot side of the pool.

I am usually at the barge every Wednesday from 6 AM to 9 AM if you need help. I will be the 81 year old codger in the Dickey's jump suit.

[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12812459 07/01/18 05:25 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
welcome

Welcome to the TFF!

There is no such thing as being "too late" or "too old" to start enjoying fishing. One of the great things about fishing is that you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. The simplest beginning fishing rigs are a bobber with a small hook & piece of worm, or a medium size hook with a live minnow.

One thing you do want to learn is how to tie good knots. If you do a youtube search on how to tie a "uni-knot" or a "palomar knot", that'll cover the vast majority of your fishing for quite awhile.

Don't be shy about asking questions on here. Most of the TFFers are good people are more than willing to share tips on rigging, locating fish and such (we've got a few cantankerous coots too, but they're still decent people).

Best of luck!

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12812553 07/01/18 07:15 PM
C
cactusrat Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
welcome

Not knowing the age of your girls or how many you have. My two cents is; You do NOT fish. Just your girls do. Your job as dad/teacher is to bait hooks, tie knots, take fish off the hook, and untangle lines.

Never get mad at or with them for working you so hard, or setting a hook in your hand.

Depending on age, you might get to do some fish.

Buy a cheap (Wal Mart) rods (one for each kid) and a few hooks, corks and weights.

Ask a friend or two where to take the girls fishing that most likely to catch a few bluegills in your area.

As the kids get into fishing, you can upgrade to better poles and tackle and better place to fish.

Get mommy hook (into) fishing or being outside, so you can spend more time fishing instead of babysitting in the out doors.

Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12812698 07/01/18 09:58 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Just don't ever ask what the "best" of anything is.

Last edited by Rayzor; 07/01/18 09:59 PM.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12812744 07/01/18 10:31 PM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Start with a spinning rod or spin cast. Buy small hooks, split shot weights, bobbers and your choice of live bait (worms, minnows, crickets.) Thats the best way to get kids into fishing since they catch everything.

For artificial lures and bass fishing try something easy like spinner bait, small crank bait that are baitfish colors. These are throw and role baits. Very easy. With plastic worms get a shakey head hook and some finesse worms in Green pumpkin or watermelon red flake. Throw it, let it sink, slowly drag it back along bottom or hop it. Just maintain bottom contact. Set hook when fish taps or pulls. When in doubt set hook.
All can be bought at Academy, Wal-Mart, etc. If you get there and are over whelmed with selection just ask the department worker. Usually helpful with that stuff. (Maybe not at Walmart though.)

Start at low light times of day or overcast days. Fish near structure (boat slips, docks, rocks, brush, etc). And never be afraid to ask someone for advice. Even the pros do.

Good luck

Last edited by TxBazzn; 07/01/18 10:32 PM.
Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12812881 07/02/18 12:35 AM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Start off with the easy stuff. Get a couple of the cheap zebco combos from Walmart. Small j hooks like #8 or #6 baited with night crawler worms, small split shot weight, and a bobber. Hit any dock or creek and catch sunfish. Kids love it, got a 15 yr old that would rather sunfish than catch big catfish with me.

After that start moving up the food chain with lures for bass or use the sunfish to catch big cats.

Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: Blues] #12813047 07/02/18 02:59 AM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Blues
Start off with the easy stuff. Get a couple of the cheap zebco combos from Walmart. Small j hooks like #8 or #6 baited with night crawler worms, small split shot weight, and a bobber. Hit any dock or creek and catch sunfish. Kids love it, got a 15 yr old that would rather sunfish than catch big catfish with me.

After that start moving up the food chain with lures for bass or use the sunfish to catch big cats.
I am 67 years old and perch jerking is still the most fun to me.

Re: Too late to enjoy fishing? [Re: AznTxGuy] #12813096 07/02/18 03:33 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: AznTxGuy
So I'm in my 40s and probably been fishing 4 times in my life and those time someone had rigged the pole for me and unhook the fish as well. Last week I took my family to Broken Bow, OK and suddenly had an urge to want to fish. I want to teach my girls how to fish but how can I teach them when I really don't know it myself.

I have watched YouTube videos and read up article about starting up fishing. So I know the basic (kinda). Went out to buy a few fishing poles and startup lures (mostly plastic worms). I live close to Joe Pool so went they to try fishing on the bank. Spent 5 hours with absolutely no catch. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong and don't want to give up but need some advice.

Does anyone have any luck in fishing at Joe Pool? Is there something I need to look for when finding a good spot? How the heck do I know which lures to use? There are so many choices, my brain hurts. I never realize fishing can be so complicated, types of lines, types of weight, type of lures, type of poles, types of fish, etc...

I like to bring home just one fish so my kids can see I can do it and hopefully encourage them to come out with me but as of now, it has been unsuccessful.

First off... welcome to the forum...

Secondly,...this is your lucky day!

Fill out the rest of your profile, so other forum members know what lakes you are close to. There are many good fishermen that haunt these halls, that will be happy to assist you. We have some outstanding fishermen, bait manufacturers, and guides to help you in your quest. Contact me via PM (private message) answer a few simple questions, and I will be happy to make sure all your questions are answered, take you fishing, recommend nearby guides, and maybe even suggest someone who can help you teach your kids!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide