Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing At Night #12801916 06/22/18 07:03 PM
G
G Love Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
What's your general approach to fishing at night this time of year? I'm not talking about hitting lights.

Anything from stock tanks to lakes.

Thanks!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802051 06/22/18 08:43 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Love night fishing... caught some of my biggest fish at night. Biggest and most. AND, I don't bake under this hot Texas sun. I only night fish on lakes and areas I know well and I take a lot more interest in the "safety' stuff before I go out, making sure lights work, batteries topped off, things of that nature.

As far as baits, I am sure you will get a ton of opinions, I go with dark colors, big, vibrating, rattling and scented. Where it makes sense at least. Bug black spinnerbaits with large Colorado blade, large dark colored worms with rattles and scent.. anything to help the fish find it better.

I normally fish shallow... dock edges, stretches in between that in the day time I might not touch.. flats.. things like that. That's basically it.

I don't use a lot of light, unless I am retying or something. I like to keep my eyes trained to the dark.. you will be able to see well enough to spot things that might be a hazard or what not. I keep the boat deck area clean, don't want to step on rods and stuff...

Good luck and be safe. Let someone know where you going and when you will be back.

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802081 06/22/18 09:01 PM
G
G Love Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
thumb Thanks!

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802399 06/23/18 01:03 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I build my night time baits around the expertise of the best fisherman know. Mr. Cullen holds the most bass caught that I have ever heard of, or could possibly imagine in my life time. He caught 1,370 bass larger than 10 pounds. His biggest was an 18-pound lunker caught during mid-summer several decades ago. Before his passing he said all he really wanted to do was teach others how to catch big Bass at night.
His techniques were stealthy from putting in the water until daybreak. Lights were off at all times. He fished over 300 nights per year; so his eyes became adjusted to the darkness, and was even able to retie in the night. He preferred fishing around the new moon or cloudy nights, and admitted it was a challenge to see what you were doing. In later years, he used a strong Duo-lock snap as his eye sight began to fail; so that he could change buzz baits without having to tie a knot.

His techniques:
- Make a cast to the 12 oclock position, then 1, then 2, then 3.
- Switch to the left side of the boat and make casts to the 9 oclock position, then 10, then 11.
- Switch lures and repeat the pattern, or move the boat forward and start the process over again.
He caught many of these Bass out of small farm ponds, this technique would literally cover every inch of water. On larger lakes, he would fish key structures and locations where giant bass are more likely to be caught. Humps and aquatic vegetation near the deepest water in the lakes were his hot spots. He looked for stumps along a channel or drop-offs to hold big Bass at night. He said they just cant resist a buzz bait or Jitterbug presentation across the surface in the darkness.

Mr. Cullen designed three distinct buzz baits. All were black 1/2-ounce with the extended hook. One had a quad-wing plastic black blade, while two had standard black metal blades. He thinned out the large flat living rubber skirts to just eight strands to give the bait a lesser silhouette. His two bladed buzz baits were; one with a smaller shaft hole and the other with a larger hole where they rotate on the wire. One gave him a higher-pitched squeak of the smaller hole that the wire ran through. On other nights they liked the more random wobble and squeak produced by one with a larger hole. The last two years, of his life he added the four-bladed bait to the arsenal. He mentioned the way he could crawl that quad across the surface of slick water ever so slow. He also used a large Jitterbug and single col. Blade spinner bait.
Trophy hunting for giant bass ran in family. His wife, Linda, caught 27 bass heavier than 10 pounds. One of his most memorable trips was on his dads 90th birthday. They landed 29 bass, with the biggest 10 weighing 101 pounds.

I build all his baits and will be glad to help you.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802450 06/23/18 01:41 AM
B
bradnitro175 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Spinerbait,crankbait,and tx rig with a bead

Originally Posted by Trickster
BIG FAT BASS LIVES MATTER

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802506 06/23/18 02:21 AM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I like throwing medium to deep diving CBs on rip rap banks, like dams or feeder bridges. Of course, I like throwing CBs all day long too, to no big change for me. A BIG worm, 10" or larger also seems to work well. I try to get as LIGHT of weight as I can, mosgt of the time, unless the wind is blowing. I like throwing a T-rig at night, but have thrown a C-rig and drop shot and split shot at night as well. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. You might do a search and find some mroe posts about this subject over the last couple of weeks or so.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802872 06/23/18 04:01 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
10" blue fleck power worm is all you need for night fishing, and that's it.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12802911 06/23/18 05:01 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Here is the link to the post I made reference too. I actually searched for my name, so it is there at the end just scroll to the top and start reading.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12797010/Searchpage/1/Main/1023291/Words/thad/Search/true/Re:_Night_fishing_tips#Post12797010

Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Fishing At Night [Re: Thad Rains] #12804545 06/25/18 03:05 PM
G
G Love Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
Here is the link to the post I made reference too. I actually searched for my name, so it is there at the end just scroll to the top and start reading.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12797010/Searchpage/1/Main/1023291/Words/thad/Search/true/Re:_Night_fishing_tips#Post12797010

Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Will do, Thanks!

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: Donald Harper] #12804553 06/25/18 03:11 PM
G
G Love Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I build my night time baits around the expertise of the best fisherman know. Mr. Cullen holds the most bass caught that I have ever heard of, or could possibly imagine in my life time. He caught 1,370 bass larger than 10 pounds. His biggest was an 18-pound lunker caught during mid-summer several decades ago. Before his passing he said all he really wanted to do was teach others how to catch big Bass at night.
His techniques were stealthy from putting in the water until daybreak. Lights were off at all times. He fished over 300 nights per year; so his eyes became adjusted to the darkness, and was even able to retie in the night. He preferred fishing around the new moon or cloudy nights, and admitted it was a challenge to see what you were doing. In later years, he used a strong Duo-lock snap as his eye sight began to fail; so that he could change buzz baits without having to tie a knot.

His techniques:
- Make a cast to the 12 oclock position, then 1, then 2, then 3.
- Switch to the left side of the boat and make casts to the 9 oclock position, then 10, then 11.
- Switch lures and repeat the pattern, or move the boat forward and start the process over again.
He caught many of these Bass out of small farm ponds, this technique would literally cover every inch of water. On larger lakes, he would fish key structures and locations where giant bass are more likely to be caught. Humps and aquatic vegetation near the deepest water in the lakes were his hot spots. He looked for stumps along a channel or drop-offs to hold big Bass at night. He said they just cant resist a buzz bait or Jitterbug presentation across the surface in the darkness.

Mr. Cullen designed three distinct buzz baits. All were black 1/2-ounce with the extended hook. One had a quad-wing plastic black blade, while two had standard black metal blades. He thinned out the large flat living rubber skirts to just eight strands to give the bait a lesser silhouette. His two bladed buzz baits were; one with a smaller shaft hole and the other with a larger hole where they rotate on the wire. One gave him a higher-pitched squeak of the smaller hole that the wire ran through. On other nights they liked the more random wobble and squeak produced by one with a larger hole. The last two years, of his life he added the four-bladed bait to the arsenal. He mentioned the way he could crawl that quad across the surface of slick water ever so slow. He also used a large Jitterbug and single col. Blade spinner bait.
Trophy hunting for giant bass ran in family. His wife, Linda, caught 27 bass heavier than 10 pounds. One of his most memorable trips was on his dads 90th birthday. They landed 29 bass, with the biggest 10 weighing 101 pounds.

I build all his baits and will be glad to help you.

Man, that's a helluva story! Would have been an interesting guy to listen to!!

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12804604 06/25/18 03:48 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Black trickworm fish just like you would during the day!

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12806632 06/26/18 10:29 PM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
if your limiting yourself to one bait - JAWTEC Wackey Craw - black and blue. none to be found, unfortunately.

so, black buzzbait, black #5 colorado blade spinnerbait, black chatterbait, 10 to 12 inch worm. if you don't get bit during the last light of dusk with the buzzbait put in the rod locker.

Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12806699 06/26/18 11:58 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
On some lakes I go shallow, some I stay out deep. The thing about night fishing is that the majority of baits that you use during the day will work at night. I tend to stick with slow moving baits mostly, but there are times when you get a good reaction bite going. The biggest key to night fishing is getting the fish to see your bait. Lots of guys will tell you that the fish's eyes need to adjust. While that could be true, I've caught plenty of fish right after sundown. I've caught plenty of fish at 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, you name it. It's just a matter of putting your bait in front of a fish. When I go shallow, I like to try to start out with a vibrating jig or spinnerbait. If it doesn't work in the first few hours, I slow down. I believe the darker the color the better. I'll also throw a Tx-rigged craw and a jig, shallow. If I go shallow I want deep water close by. Those fish will slide up during the night and feed. In fact, the biggest bass in the lake usually feed at night during the Summer. Now, if I stay out deep my approach changes a little bit. I put away those reaction bits and pick up a football jig, shaky head, or a big Tx-rigged worm. I'm looking for rocks or wood out deep. It doesn't matter if it's a point, a hump, an island, a ledge, whatever. I want it to have rock or some sort of wood, or both.

If you fish a lake enough times during the night, you'll start to pattern where those fish hang out.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12806771 06/27/18 01:01 AM
4967 Offline
Angler
Angler
I go where the fish aren't...

"Slow ahead." I can go slow ahead. Come on down here and chum some of this [censored].
Re: Fishing At Night [Re: G Love] #12806904 06/27/18 02:37 AM
F
FishTex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
If your bait ain't makin noise, it ain't gonna catch bass. Dark colors, lots of action that creates vibrations in the water -- ribs, claws, rattles, etc... You don't have to hit them in the head at night, they just have to hear it through their lateral line and they will come to it. Remember, your bait must move some water to catch bass at night.

Buzz baits in the wind, sub surface when it is calm.

PQ
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide