texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,007
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,485
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,600
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798120 06/19/18 09:15 PM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Dune,

I will tell you how I learned a lot and what helped my casting curve. If you have a current rod or an old one, tie some yarn to the end of it and take it out in the yard or your street in front of the house and practice. I did this for 6 months before I ever went fishing. 20-30 minutes a day for 4-5 days a week and you can really improve your casting. Youtube is also a great resource for getting the fundamentals. Then go do it.

Good luck !

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798195 06/19/18 10:16 PM
F
Fly Fishing Scout Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
4Weight, I practice at least 30+ minuets a day. However, I have not tied a piece of yarn to my line yet.

There are several publications that have helped. YouTube has been awesome. Orvis has several how tos for beginners. Capt Chris Myers has several awesome videos as well.

Honestly, I feel like I am at the point I would need to start videoing my self and critiquing. The problem I have is I may not be good enough to do that. LOL

And then there is double hauling. Ya, not even going to go there... LOL

I did learn Capt Myerss quick cast. Thats a handy cast.

Duane

Texas Mason, Bells Lodge 798.
To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798415 06/20/18 12:56 AM
F
Floon Swenson Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout
4Weight, I practice at least 30+ minuets a day. However, I have not tied a piece of yarn to my line yet.

There are several publications that have helped. YouTube has been awesome. Orvis has several how tos for beginners. Capt Chris Myers has several awesome videos as well.

Honestly, I feel like I am at the point I would need to start videoing my self and critiquing. The problem I have is I may not be good enough to do that. LOL

Duane

If you go out and practice in the grass, take a junk leader and tie a bunch of gnarly loops into it, then snip several of the loops to give you a bunch of tag ends. Google pics of a "grass leader" to see an example. What it'll do is catch up in the grass and help load the rod on the backcast. It simulates the load you get on the backcast when the line you have laid out begins to break surface tension with the water. It helps when you're lawn casting for practice.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12798570 06/20/18 02:20 AM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson

Duane

If you go out and practice in the grass, take a junk leader and tie a bunch of gnarly loops into it, then snip several of the loops to give you a bunch of tag ends. Google pics of a "grass leader" to see an example. What it'll do is catch up in the grass and help load the rod on the backcast. It simulates the load you get on the backcast when the line you have laid out begins to break surface tension with the water. It helps when you're lawn casting for practice.

Floon I like that, sounds like you are simulating a pick up cast which is a great way for beginners to learn to feel how tension in the line can help you throw it. Duane, I've been fishing many years and double haul like %$%$ ! Don't worry about that or how you look. Learn to cast where you need your fly to be and then go catch fish.

That's whats is all about anyway.

Good feedback everyone !

4W

www.aztecanglers.com
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798639 06/20/18 03:00 AM
F
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Man, I really dig your enthusiasm for this stuff. It can get you into some truly magnificent places and give you a reason to find little special corners of your own neighborhood that you'd otherwise never know existed. Cheers brother!

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798660 06/20/18 03:10 AM
F
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
You know, I took my own advice and Googled a grass leader. The places I saw it show up were on spey casting posts and websites. To think of it, that's when I used one, too. Maybe it is not as useful for the pickup of a regular cast...not sure. To be honest, I've parking lot casted a bunch of rods, but the only thing I've ever practiced in the grass was spey casting. A regular cast might lift the lift the line quick enough that it is not necessary.

Rex is your man for casting advice. He doesn't know it, because, well "Floon" rings no bells, but he's helped me with a cast or two over the years. He's a great caster - take his advice.

Rex - you ever use a grass leader with your casting instructions for just regular one-handed casting?

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798943 06/20/18 01:22 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Floon, you are awesome and thank you for putting up with me!! I have a passion and love for the outdoors which was kindled by my father. I am just lucky I can share this passion with my family.

I look at fly fishing as a performing art. (Remember I have an advanced degree in music performance.) When I hit the water, I want my basics fundamentals to be there. I have found this concept has made my time on the water with a fly rod more enjoyable.

I have 5 ponds with in a 10 min drive from my house. 3 of which are on family owned land. Then there is also Bonham State Park, Loy Lake, Dean Gilbert, and Herman Baker which are all 20-25 min drive from my house and life is good.

I am familiar with the drag on the water you are referring to. Capt Myers does address this in one of his videos for the overhead cast. He makes it look so effortless as he emphasizes the importance of lifting the line, as he lifts the fly line off the water all the way to the leader before he even starts his back cast. His coaching then focuses on progressively accelerating from the 10:00 to the 2:00 positions, throwing the paint loaded on the tip of your fly rod up and back behind you. The practical application of this theory, well, lets just say that it is not 100% muscle memory yet. LOL

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12798989 06/20/18 01:52 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
Rex - you ever use a grass leader with your casting instructions for just regular one-handed casting?

Floon, thanks for the kind words. I've played with grass leaders a little bit and I've met some instructors that use them, but I don't use them. They are most often used for Roll Cast or as mentioned Spey style casting on the grass. Those casting styles use a "water anchor" to help load the rod and grass leaders and other types of casting aids can be helpful when practicing on grass in place of water. Personally, I tend to focus more on timing and stroke length when learning to Roll Cast than using casting aids, but other instructors love using them.

One more comment to add the general discussion. Use caution when practicing on parking lots or driveways. Asphalt and cement are very hard on plastic fly lines and will wear them out quickly. I use an old fly line anytime I have to do a class in a parking lot. Grass does less damage to fly lines, but it will make them dirty. Keeping a fly line clean will help it to fish better.

Also, always use some type leader whenever practicing your casting. Casting a fly line without a leader can damage the tip of the plastic fly line. A mono leader is cheaper to replace than a full fly line.

Have fun!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: 4Weight] #12799087 06/20/18 02:47 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: 4Weight

Don't worry about that or how you look. Learn to cast where you need your fly to be and then go catch fish.

That's whats is all about anyway.

4W

That is an awesome point. To many times we get caught up in gear/form and forget what brought us to this sport.

Duane.

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: RexW] #12799125 06/20/18 03:16 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: RexW

Use caution when practicing on parking lots or driveways. Asphalt and cement are very hard on plastic fly lines and will wear them out quickly. I use an old fly line anytime I have to do a class in a parking lot. Grass does less damage to fly lines, but it will make them dirty. Keeping a fly line clean will help it to fish better.

Also, always use some type leader whenever practicing your casting. Casting a fly line without a leader can damage the tip of the plastic fly line. A mono leader is cheaper to replace than a full fly line.

Have fun!

Great point! And actually, a very thoughtful one as well. Lets face it, fly line is not cheap...

I am fortunate enough to live on 5 acres in the country. So grass casting is not a problem. I also have a designated fly line with mono leader & tip I use for practice.

My theory has been that if I can cast decently with the cheap fly line that came with the Cabelas combo, then I should not have any problems casting with the better Scientific Anglers line.

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12799844 06/21/18 01:04 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
"One more comment to add the general discussion. Use caution when practicing on parking lots or driveways. Asphalt and cement are very hard on plastic fly lines and will wear them out quickly. I use an old fly line anytime I have to do a class in a parking lot. Grass does less damage to fly lines, but it will make them dirty. Keeping a fly line clean will help it to fish better. "

Interesting; I always thought that (and I still do). But there is another school of thought out there that says grass is harder on your fly line than concrete or asphalt. I don't see how it could be, but I've never (and am not about to) done valid comparisons. Food for thought though......

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Jim Ford] #12800332 06/21/18 02:11 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
Interesting; I always thought that (and I still do). But there is another school of thought out there that says grass is harder on your fly line than concrete or asphalt. I don't see how it could be, but I've never (and am not about to) done valid comparisons. Food for thought though......

Jim, I can only comment based on my own experience. We have to use a parking lot for classes at Fly Fish Texas each year and my fly lines show a lot more wear after a day casting in a parking lot than in the grass.

I will add that I use different lines whenever possible for practice and for fishing. I use my best lines for fishing. laugh

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: RexW] #12801151 06/22/18 01:43 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: RexW
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford

Jim, I can only comment based on my own experience. We have to use a parking lot for classes at Fly Fish Texas each year and my fly lines show a lot more wear after a day casting in a parking lot than in the grass.

I will add that I use different lines whenever possible for practice and for fishing. I use my best lines for fishing. laugh

Same here; we have done classes on neatly mowed grass, concrete parking lots, and water. I never threw my own lines on concrete, but the grass never seemed to cause any significant harm to my lines, and I used them frequently on grass. Just thought I'd throw that perspective in here, even though I'm not an adherent of it. I can't really call BS on it until I prove it wrong, and I'm just not that motivated. It's a "born in the forties" thing.........

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12801413 06/22/18 01:14 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
After considerable research, advice, and the fact that I found it on Amazon at a really good price, I ended up purchasing a Fenwick Aetos 905-4 rod.
(I think Fenwick lists it as a 904-5. 9ft, 4pc, 5wt.)

This may sound crazy. However, with this rod, if my performance is less than desirable, I know that it is my execution of the cast and not the rods potential or ability.

In English, if I am sucking, it is me and not the rod. LOL

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12801776 06/22/18 05:40 PM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
After considerable research, advice, and the fact that I found it on Amazon at a really good price, I ended up purchasing a Fenwick Aetos 905-4 rod.
(I think Fenwick lists it as a 904-5. 9ft, 4pc, 5wt.)

This may sound crazy. However, with this rod, if my performance is less than desirable, I know that it is my execution of the cast and not the rods potential or ability.

In English, if I am sucking, it is me and not the rod. LOL

Nice job Scout I hope you are happy with the rod. Good luck and good fishing !

www.aztecanglers.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide