texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Ok, Glass Fly rod question... ... #12796442 06/18/18 07:17 PM
F
Fly Fishing Scout Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Well, where do I start...

I have not had very good experiences with glass fly rods in the past. They have been ok rods, but they have never been able to compare to my Cabelas brand graphite rods when comparing performance.
(Note: the glass rod setups I have purchased at garage sales for 3-4 dollars a set. The cast 40+ feet with ease and I dont have to worry about Boy Scouts braking them during a fishing merit badge. LOL. Quite a few scouts have caught their first fish with a fly rod on these setups.)

Well, that statement was true until I somehow obtained an Eagle Claw Wright & McGill Eagle Water 300. A 8.6 ft 8wt 2 pc glass rod. All I can say is that it has broken all my misconceptions about glass fly rods.

Yes, it is a slower rod compared to the graphite. But why does it cast into the wind better that my 8wt Prestige III Combo? (Same line used in comparison.)

It also has a delicate side to it. Depending on the deliverance of the forward motion of the cast, It can not only shoot out line like a cannon, but also deliver a very delicate presentation on the water.

Is there something I am missing with a decent glass rod, or do I just have the feel of this rod down??

Duane.

Texas Mason, Bells Lodge 798.
To be one, ask one.
Re: Ok, Glass Fly rod question... ... [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12796503 06/18/18 08:01 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Theres a ton of new glass rods from a host of blank makers out there and you can spend a bundle on some.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-gear/graphite-vs-fiberglass-with-tim-rajeff-video/

The link has a video with some of the differences between glass and graphite. I fish both materials, but primarily fish Glass for bass and other warm freshwater fish and use glass a lot for inshore saltwater fish. I feel like I have great control in short to medium casting ranges with my glass rods. I can hold the rod longer in load with longer, slower casting strokes and feel the load better to make adjustments to the cast during the cast. A fast carbon rod would have already unloaded in the same time span. A slower glass rod is just relaxing to cast for long periods, at least for me.

Glass rods handle big or small fish well and are much harder to break when the fish dives under the boat or kayak or makes other strong moves. They tend to be shorter and that makes them good in places with cover or other space restrictions. They protect tippet better. The handle abuse better, like a strike from a lead head or tungsten bead.

I have trouble casting my glass well in windy conditions so thats typically when I turn to fast graphite. My graphite rods are very fast and that helps me handle the wind. Graphite is also lighter and makers can build strong, long and powerful graphite rods that swing light in the hand when a glass rod of the same length and line weight rating would swing and feel and be a lot heavier. Graphite excels at mending and line control on the water. I dont think the best glass rods can compete with the best graphite rods on casting distance all other things being equal.

Theres a whole lot of ways to get things done in casting and fly fishing and a lot comes down to personal preferences. I look at the best graphite rods excelling at distance casting, wind handling and line control, especially on the water mends. If you want or need a rod longer than 8 or so, think graphite. If you need close in distance feel and fish in tight places and like the bend, consider glass. But either material can handle a variety of needs, I guess it comes down to what you value the most.

Last edited by karstopo; 06/18/18 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Ok, Glass Fly rod question... ... [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12797335 06/19/18 01:05 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Katstopo, this is twice now you have given fantastic advice. THANK YOU!!

I am thinking that I am going to have to take your advise and pick up a CGR glass rod.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, or enlightenment??

Duane

To be one, ask one.
Re: Ok, Glass Fly rod question... ... [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12797780 06/19/18 05:20 PM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
If you would like to find out more about glass rods, check out the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum to learn all you ever wanted to know about glass rods. Also take a look at Fiberglass Manifesto/Fly Rod Shops to check out the many builders and manufacturers of glass rods.

Larry

Re: Ok, Glass Fly rod question... ... [Re: Canoeman1947] #12797903 06/19/18 06:45 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Canoeman1947
If you would like to find out more about glass rods, check out the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum to learn all you ever wanted to know about glass rods. Also take a look at Fiberglass Manifesto/Fly Rod Shops to check out the many builders and manufacturers of glass rods.

Larry

Yes, absolutely. Those sites have a wealth of information and knowledge about fiberglass fly rods new and vintage. Its very eye opening to see how many folks are out there that love fiberglass and have for a long time.

Re: Ok, Glass Fly rod question... ... [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12797904 06/19/18 06:45 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
It looks like I can easily spend more on a Glass rod than I ever planned on spending on Graphite one. LOL

To be one, ask one.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide