Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12742510 05/04/18 01:58 AM
B
bluecatlakerat Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I am a month in and down about 18 lbs. I lose about a pound a day except for days that I drink several beers I don't lose anything but don't gain either. I have not been keeping close track of calories or carbs but my wife does and she is losing more weight than me, but she doesn't drink beer.
I found some vodka drinks that I really like but I LOVE beer. So far so good, my clothes are getting loose and I feel good. At 5 days in I felt drained and sick but it only lasted about 2 days, maybe getting into ketosis I don't know. Now if I don't eat something every 4 or 5 hours I start feeling bad and stomach hurts, I am not sure why. Also the higher fiber foods make me feel way better than eating lots of meat and cheese.

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12743381 05/04/18 06:53 PM
N
Not2Old2Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Workout fads are there to sell ads.

<°(((((>{
Re: Keto Diet [Re: krawlin 47] #12745045 05/06/18 01:26 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: krawlin 47

No. Ketosis is a lifestyle change. The purpose of Keto is to alter the way that your body produces energy. Atkins is a short term diet program that consists of four phases. The first phase is the most restrictive (some users may experience Ketosis) and where most people see their greatest weight loss. As you progress through the program additional sources of carbs are added and you lose the Ketosis.

What do you find unsafe around Ketosis?

- Unnecessary lean muscle mass loss; (This in turn will show a short term loss on the scale but is not a healthy or sustainable outcome.)
- Liver damage
- Kidney damage
- Contraindicated for those with pre diabetic levels or a history of diabetes in their family
- Damage to the heart; (Contraindicated for those with any heart issues currently or family history

The keto diet has been shown to work short term for cosmetic reasons but time and research have proven that it is not a sustainable alternative for healthy weight loss or health in general.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12745547 05/06/18 11:27 PM
B
bluecatlakerat Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I understand what you are saying about it being an unhealthy way to lose weight but being 300 lbs with high blood pressure at age 35 is not very good for my liver, kidneys or heart either. My overall goal is to use this diet "fad" to get down to my goal weight and hopefully be able to maintain that weight. With a healthy diet that includes some carbs and a good exercise program I believe it is possible. At 6'2" and 300 lbs I am not really worried about losing lean muscle mass. I am not sure some of you understand the diet completely anyway. I don't really eat any more meat than I did before, just lots more vegetables. I eat a salad at least one meal a day and have replaced potatoes with vegetables as a side dish to grilled lean meat. I have eaten no refined sugar or fried foods in a month and have started exercising several times a week because I feel good enough to do so. So I am not sure what is so unhealthy about what I am doing but it doesn't matter because it is working. I am not sure why you guys can't just say good job and move on. So to everyone on this diet that is losing weight and making it work for them I say GOOD JOB! thumb

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12745915 05/07/18 12:03 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lake rat - My post was in response to a specific question. Each person has their own journey. I have colleagues who are registered dietitians who employ keto or a hybrid alternative for short term periods. Others utilize a derivative and multi disciplinary approach to ensure outcomes and good health along the way.

Based on the limited info you described about your fueling patternS my guess is you are not on the true keto plan anyway.

If what you are doing is working for you then of course - GOOD JOB.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12746582 05/07/18 08:43 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline
The Panther
The Panther
C
I'm amazed at the side effects of the diet and they're enough to keep me going on it. The weight loss at this point is just the icing on the cake. I'm losing 3 lb per week even with a couple of days a week with higher calories. Still very strict on carbs and haven't had more than 19 grams in a day. Averaging about 13 gram/day. Haven't been out of ketosis in 15 days. Found a meal prep service in Keller that is really helping to cut down prep time. The more I research the diet the more I see the benefits. There are people who have cure auto-immune diseases with it. I can definitely feel a difference in my hormone balance. Sugar is poison.

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12747374 05/08/18 01:35 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
The more I learn about weightloss the more I realize there is enormous variation in people. Age, gender, metabolic rates, genetics, food preferences, timing, medications, exercise habits, sleep patterns, even the climate they live in... Just to name a few. The reality is different things work for different people. There is no silver bullet. I'm personally of the opinion the Keto diet isn't for most people simply because it's extremely difficult to maintain over the long haul. That said, if it works for you, have at it. I agree with Lakerat above, whatever the downsides might be, it's got to be better than being fat.

I can envision a day in the future where genetic tests and blood work will be able to work out a "optimal" plan for everyone based on actual science.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12747490 05/08/18 02:57 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline
The Panther
The Panther
C
Oh man, you're SO right about the variation. I'm continually amazed at what my friends can eat and not have any problem with. I follow a bunch of keto pages on social media and every single one does it a little different. And even if you figure out what works for you, it changes as you get older. I'm still bummed that I can't fast like I want to but will continue to experiment to see what works the best. thumb

Re: Keto Diet [Re: Jpurdue] #12748698 05/09/18 12:09 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
The more I learn about weightloss the more I realize there is enormous variation in people. Age, gender, metabolic rates, genetics, food preferences, timing, medications, exercise habits, sleep patterns, even the climate they live in... Just to name a few. The reality is different things work for different people. There is no silver bullet. I'm personally of the opinion the Keto diet isn't for most people simply because it's extremely difficult to maintain over the long haul. That said, if it works for you, have at it. I agree with Lakerat above, whatever the downsides might be, it's got to be better than being fat.

I can envision a day in the future where genetic tests and blood work will be able to work out a "optimal" plan for everyone based on actual science.

Could not agree more hence the point there is not a "one size fits all" method. Your vision of 'genetic and blood test to work out an optimal plan' currently exists and yes based on your body chemistry and science. The key is researching a registered or licensed dietitian (RD and/or LD). These animals are different than a wellness coordinator, coach, or nutritionist in that they are registered and licensed through the state in which they reside/practice.

I had this done 7 years ago and it made a huge difference in my health, managing my fueling and hydration, and educating me about what works best rather than experimenting. Do I cheat? Yes...I like beer and single barrel bourbon...neither of which am I to have. I deal with the consequences when I do indulge and go on with life but the big factor is I KNOW what works for my given situation. No guess work.

This after 25+ years in the healthcare industry and "knowing better" I still chose to do my own thing until I let science and my own body tell me what it needed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12756028 05/15/18 01:36 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Jumping in on the Keto wagon. I don't know exactly when the wife started but I jumped in with her last week.

I cheated a little last Sunday when I had a half baked potato and a spoon of ranch beans. Mom made lunch for mom's day and I didn't want to be rude (like my wife wink ) and not eat moms cooking. I was still so full come dinner time I didn't eat. So more carbs for the day than I should, but still nothing as much as I normally would have had.

My biggest shocker of recent was noticing the amount of sugar in my plain, whole milk yogurt. With seeds/nuts, that's my breakfast almost everyday.

What are you eating for your breakfast food? Looking for some ideas.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Keto Diet [Re: H2O Seeker] #12758634 05/17/18 11:46 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker

No. Ketosis is a lifestyle change. The purpose of Keto is to alter the way that your body produces energy. Atkins is a short term diet program that consists of four phases. The first phase is the most restrictive (some users may experience Ketosis) and where most people see their greatest weight loss. As you progress through the program additional sources of carbs are added and you lose the Ketosis.

- Unnecessary lean muscle mass loss; (This in turn will show a short term loss on the scale but is not a healthy or sustainable outcome.)
- Liver damage
- Kidney damage
- Contraindicated for those with pre diabetic levels or a history of diabetes in their family
- Damage to the heart; (Contraindicated for those with any heart issues currently or family history

The keto diet has been shown to work short term for cosmetic reasons but time and research have proven that it is not a sustainable alternative for healthy weight loss or health in general.

You do not loose lean mass during ketosis. You loose water weight associated with insulin. Looks like you loose muscle mass but it is not.
Liver and kidney damage? never heard of it. I do my biometrics 2X a year and liver values were perfect and creatinine and BUN were also perfect for the kidneys.

I cannot say for diabetes as I have no knowledge of that and have done no research.

as for heart, this is from a cardiology site, not dr oz or some [censored] like that. Sorry not being argumentative. for some it is not good. For others keto is excellent and 100% safe and VERY effective.

CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

Re: Keto Diet [Re: Jpurdue] #12795068 06/17/18 04:33 PM
M
mow Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Keto is a fad diet. I'd wager a majority of people on the diet never really reach ketosis. You can buy test strips on amazon for less than 10 bucks to confirm this for yourself. When you think you are in Ketosis [censored] on the test strip and it'll tell you to what degree. What you'll find is that you are not in fact in ketosis. Truly getting in ketosis requires extremely strict adherence to the diet coupled with multi-day fasts for most folks in most cases.

Sure you'll lose weight just like you would with Adkins. As others have stated though, it's just not sustainable for most people over the long haul. Diets that work with extremes are generally a bad idea.

The key is just calories in - calories burned. Create a 3500 calorie deficit for every pound you want to lose on a weekly basis. I'm down 27lbs since the start of the year. I'm going light on carbs, booze, and sugar. I'm also getting in some solid cardio 6 days a week.
disaagre..its not a fad diet..i went on it and if you adhere to the simple philosophy of this its not a problem..im 63 and ive never felt better..ive been on it for two years and lost 45 lbs..my daughters been on it for the same time and has gone from a size 18 to a size 5 from 245 lbs to 139 and amazingly our labs are perfect..plus you dont have to use the strips they have breath analyzers that can tell you your keto..i cant stress this enough..our keto diet is proof..the dr, gave us his blessings..IT IS NOT A DIET ITS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE..EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Re: Keto Diet [Re: jippedgenes] #12797282 06/19/18 11:53 AM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker

- Liver damage
- Kidney damage

You do not loose lean mass during ketosis. You loose water weight associated with insulin. Looks like you loose muscle mass but it is not.
Liver and kidney damage? never heard of it. I do my biometrics 2X a year and liver values were perfect and creatinine and BUN were also perfect for the kidneys.

I cannot say for diabetes as I have no knowledge of that and have done no research.

as for heart, this is from a cardiology site, not dr oz or some [censored] like that. Sorry not being argumentative. for some it is not good. For others keto is excellent and 100% safe and VERY effective.

CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

You mentioned the 'study' but did not site the source. I am interested in the study as I am in the health field and work with Dietitians who do their own research, attend continuing ed, and counsel direct referrals from general practitioners and internists as well as other physicians. They DO prescribe keto however not as a lifestyle change or as an educated "healthy" way to fuel long term.

Last edited by H2O Seeker; 06/20/18 11:52 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12797672 06/19/18 04:14 PM
M
mow Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
then explain why real drs. tell me and relaitives and many many friends why the science works..labs come back "clean" nothing but positive results..is the keto way upsetting the applecart..if it works it works..no denying that..have had all the scans..mris on the heart,,circlitory systym along with many friends and they all show a reduction in plac on the arteries and the heart artery walls..so believe what you will..as for me and millions of believers in a healthy lifestyle..i will continue ..this is not a paid advertisement or testimony..just glad i no longer have heart disease...

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12797734 06/19/18 04:59 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline
The Panther
The Panther
C
If by fad you mean it's been around since 1920, then sure, it's a fad.

Keto isn't for everyone but just trying it for 2 months made a believer out of me. It's been proven to cure autoimmune diseases, arthritis, obesity, epilepsy, and other ailments. I would encourage anyone to do the research and just try it out for two weeks. You might be surprised at how much better you feel.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide