Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: SoCal Tom] #12795838 06/18/18 12:53 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I frogged and flipped pads, willow, and hyacinths and didn't get a single bite in any of it. On day one I only had 2 bites all day from bluegill.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: SoCal Tom] #12795846 06/18/18 01:01 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
So we like the Red River?

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12795893 06/18/18 01:38 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
So we like the Red River?

do you even fish bro...

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: bassmanrudy] #12795904 06/18/18 01:45 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
I fished it and yes it was "tough" but honestly it shows who can adapt and overcome the situation. 4 fish for 5 lbs cut a check on the Co side. And neither of my boaters had a limit either day heck one didn't catch anything... Some community holes had 20+ boats on em all day and still guys managed to figure it out. If you can't "go down the bank and throw (insert fav bait here) and catch fish" some guys would call that tough and pack it in as they don't want too/can't figure it out.

The Red will be back. If we can stop flooding above 30' each spring and the bass spawn can happen without getting washed out. The grass and pads have come back 50xs what they were 2 years ago and I'm seeing/catching a lot of 6-10" fish that will be keepers soon.

Well said, I missed that check by one fish!

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: SoCal Tom] #12795909 06/18/18 01:47 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Fishing the Red is fun in my opinion. I know its tough right now due to previous conditions. But I do like a grind tournament, as it weeds out so many from the start. Definitely no fun to catch a few fish in a weeks time.

I believe it will get better this next year.

Last edited by BMCD; 06/18/18 01:48 PM.
Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: Brent S] #12795922 06/18/18 01:56 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Brent S
I frogged and flipped pads, willow, and hyacinths and didn't get a single bite in any of it. On day one I only had 2 bites all day from bluegill.

Sometimes you can be on fish and still not get them to bite. They were not there or not biting your presentation. Have to keep moving around and experimenting. I've fished on our local river before and not caught anything, and this was after catching several nice ones the day before. It can be frustrating....but doesn't mean it is a bad system. As far as 30 lbs over 3 days on a river, it's all relative, on Rayburn or Toledo Bend 20 lb per day doesn't always put you in the money. Bass fishing isn't for everyone, one day a hero, next day a zero! All the whiners should go saltwater fishing or take up golf!

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: Brent S] #12795974 06/18/18 02:29 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

The pads looked amazing out there but only caught 1 fish out of em even during practice which was weird. My boater on day 1 was confident too as he had whacked them there in practice. I threw a frog, fluke, t-rig, crank, spinnerbait, popper all in em and wasn't til I tried a chatterbait with skirt removed and a swimbait added that I caught the 2 I did. day 2 we ran all over and finally up a creek arm and after 6hrs of trying all sorts of colors and baits went to a spinnerbait and started slow rolling it and caught 2.

I think what surprises me the "most" about fishing as a coangler(and this isn't a "knock" against any of my previous boaters just an observation!!) is that whatever happened in practice is what they expect to happen on tourney day and damned if they are going to change things up. I've literally fished a rock jetty for hours cus they had bites there and nothing is going on now(and come to find out that it was only working with a certain wind/current/cloud cover deal)! I would love to see the wheels start turning and new baits/things get tried as "that" is the real reason for me fishing the events anyways. The desire to "learn" something from these guys that fish at a much higher level than I do. Some days you can tell that they've mailed it in and are just going thru the motions.

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: bassmanrudy] #12795976 06/18/18 02:29 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
I fished it and yes it was "tough" but honestly it shows who can adapt and overcome the situation. 4 fish for 5 lbs cut a check on the Co side. And neither of my boaters had a limit either day heck one didn't catch anything... Some community holes had 20+ boats on em all day and still guys managed to figure it out. If you can't "go down the bank and throw (insert fav bait here) and catch fish" some guys would call that tough and pack it in as they don't want too/can't figure it out.

The Red will be back. If we can stop flooding above 30' each spring and the bass spawn can happen without getting washed out. The grass and pads have come back 50xs what they were 2 years ago and I'm seeing/catching a lot of 6-10" fish that will be keepers soon.
No offense, but fishing the Red would sit better with me if I was fishing it out of the back of someone else's boat too!

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: bassmanrudy] #12796015 06/18/18 02:56 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

The pads looked amazing out there but only caught 1 fish out of em even during practice which was weird. My boater on day 1 was confident too as he had whacked them there in practice. I threw a frog, fluke, t-rig, crank, spinnerbait, popper all in em and wasn't til I tried a chatterbait with skirt removed and a swimbait added that I caught the 2 I did. day 2 we ran all over and finally up a creek arm and after 6hrs of trying all sorts of colors and baits went to a spinnerbait and started slow rolling it and caught 2.

I think what surprises me the "most" about fishing as a coangler(and this isn't a "knock" against any of my previous boaters just an observation!!) is that whatever happened in practice is what they expect to happen on tourney day and damned if they are going to change things up. I've literally fished a rock jetty for hours cus they had bites there and nothing is going on now(and come to find out that it was only working with a certain wind/current/cloud cover deal)! I would love to see the wheels start turning and new baits/things get tried as "that" is the real reason for me fishing the events anyways. The desire to "learn" something from these guys that fish at a much higher level than I do. Some days you can tell that they've mailed it in and are just going thru the motions.

No joke. On day 2 we went all the way to pool 3. That's several hours you could be fishing, spent traveling. As tough as it was fishing, I bet we could have gone to a good looking area and drug plastics around as slow as you can and get a few bites in that time. Most of the top 12 fished around the ramp area!

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: leethefishking] #12796036 06/18/18 03:14 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: leethefishking

No offense, but fishing the Red would sit better with me if I was fishing it out of the back of someone else's boat too!

One of these days I'll pony up the $$$$ and fish as a boater! Was on the waiting list quite a while just to fish as a co for some reason. I usually make suggestions as I pass stuff I like to fish.

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: Brent S] #12796040 06/18/18 03:15 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

No joke. On day 2 we went all the way to pool 3. That's several hours you could be fishing, spent traveling. As tough as it was fishing, I bet we could have gone to a good looking area and drug plastics around as slow as you can and get a few bites in that time. Most of the top 12 fished around the ramp area!

Yikes!! That is one LONNNGGGGGG run... like 3-4hrs of travel time "not" fishing time to boot.

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: LunkerXpress] #12796210 06/18/18 04:58 PM
T
texasbassdude Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: LunkerXpress
It's a complete garbage fishery that even the local trails aren't fishing right now. But whatever chamber of commerce writes BASS the biggest check determines where we go. After all, they don't have to fish it.

Gosh, it's almost like B.A.S.S is a company that's interested in things like profit and stuff.

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: bassmanrudy] #12796364 06/18/18 06:20 PM
S
stetson Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Pads are to hero or zero on the red takes some balls to go for it there, while the red is a tough fishery if one will flip slowly for 8 hours limits each day are not to hard, couple week ago for the college event there I was telling everyone that port lake would be where the open would be won ( entire lake was offlimits in flw) and look where Walters whacked them a lot with other top finishers, idk how someone could leave so many release fish to run 4 hours one way or fish main river. Guess they are the "pros tho"'

Last edited by stetson; 06/18/18 06:21 PM.
Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: stetson] #12796389 06/18/18 06:39 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: stetson
Pads are to hero or zero on the red takes some balls to go for it there, while the red is a tough fishery if one will flip slowly for 8 hours limits each day are not to hard, couple week ago for the college event there I was telling everyone that port lake would be where the open would be won ( entire lake was offlimits in flw) and look where Walters whacked them a lot with other top finishers, idk how someone could leave so many release fish to run 4 hours one way or fish main river. Guess they are the "pros tho"'

So the only good place right now is a small area of release fish? That sounds exciting..

Re: B.A.S.S. Open on the Red River [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12796393 06/18/18 06:41 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: stetson

So the only good place right now is a small area of release fish? That sounds exciting..

LOL

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide