Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 341 of 452 1 2 339 340 341 342 343 451 452
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12791200 06/14/18 01:31 AM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
What if I remove plants when they die, rake out hay, get the grass out the best I can . Then use the vinegar and water to kill the grass and come back with fabric ? I do not want to harm my soil though , I put too much into it

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12791243 06/14/18 02:16 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
What if I remove plants when they die, rake out hay, get the grass out the best I can . Then use the vinegar and water to kill the grass and come back with fabric ? I do not want to harm my soil though , I put too much into it

I can't help you with the fabric as I don't use it and don't know a lot about it. But, question.

You mention Vinegar and water. Are you cutting your vinegar with water? If so, don't.

I use 9% vinegar. It's the strongest I can find for $2.50 a gallon. Other option is 20% at the nursery and they want $15+ a gallon. 9% works great. Add in some liquid soap as a surfactant and you have a pretty good killer. That said, it will kill broadleafs dead, but grass it will just knock them back. It won't kill the roots so you have to keep spraying the Bermuda, but it really helps keep it at bay. Vinegar is Acetic acid and breaks down very quickly so it won't hurt your soil. I keep it in a cheap spray bottle and do daily sprays or weekly as needed. It's worked well for me.

I would till in the hay. Yes, there is a chance your garden could be a hay field next year from the seed heads, but the seed heads have already dropped from using them as a mulch into the soil. I'll tackle that issue if it arises. Tilling it in will add much needed organic matter into the soil, which is a great thing.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12791280 06/14/18 02:43 AM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have a couple of questions and you will probably think I am nuts but its just the way it is. First my wife had a bad stroke in July of last year. We spent 35 days in the hospital/rehab so I lost last years garden. I have 3 4'X16' raised beds. I usually split 1 bed with peppers and tomatoes, 1 with okra and 1 with just tomatoes. Anyway due to having to take care of my wife I didn't get my beds ready and ended up planting 10 tomato plants(4 Celebrity, 3 Phoenix Heat Set & 3 Homestead) and 4 pepper plants in a flower bed that is 24 inches wide between the concrete borders. It has the best dirt I have ever planted in plus I tilled in 4 bags of Organic gardening soil. Now here is the kicker and my question. I didn't get planted until June 1st. 6 of the tomato plants have buds ready to bloom and the peppers had several peppers on them when I planted them. They have a doubled in size since being planted. Do I have any chance of making a tomato crop or is it a waste of time. I live at the lake so I am watering with lake water. The plants were bought in early April and stayed in their cups until I planted them. Sorry this was so long.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12791284 06/14/18 02:45 AM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thanks derek , so basically once my spring plants can't make it anymore ,
Go ahead and till the grass and hay together and then plant my fall garden?

The book I have been reading really wants me toy try green manures. So I could do rye grass to fill in my garden

I have only done the vinegar, soap, water around my house , nor the garden . I use a propane torch on ,my fence lines

Last edited by Brad Hardt; 06/14/18 02:50 AM.

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: machinist] #12791325 06/14/18 03:21 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: machinist
I have a couple of questions and you will probably think I am nuts but its just the way it is. First my wife had a bad stroke in July of last year. We spent 35 days in the hospital/rehab so I lost last years garden. I have 3 4'X16' raised beds. I usually split 1 bed with peppers and tomatoes, 1 with okra and 1 with just tomatoes. Anyway due to having to take care of my wife I didn't get my beds ready and ended up planting 10 tomato plants(4 Celebrity, 3 Phoenix Heat Set & 3 Homestead) and 4 pepper plants in a flower bed that is 24 inches wide between the concrete borders. It has the best dirt I have ever planted in plus I tilled in 4 bags of Organic gardening soil. Now here is the kicker and my question. I didn't get planted until June 1st. 6 of the tomato plants have buds ready to bloom and the peppers had several peppers on them when I planted them. They have a doubled in size since being planted. Do I have any chance of making a tomato crop or is it a waste of time. I live at the lake so I am watering with lake water. The plants were bought in early April and stayed in their cups until I planted them. Sorry this was so long.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I wish y'all the best. Even though Celebrities are popular I've never grown them. I grew Phoenix last year and they were ok. Tycoon was better, but it's my understanding they've been discontinued. Never grown Homestead, but hear they are a good. There is no doubt you can get a crop this year and it won't be a waste of time. Just keep them watered, but not over watered and I think you'll be ok and get some tomatoes. Post progress updates.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12791341 06/14/18 03:27 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
Thanks derek , so basically once my spring plants can't make it anymore ,
Go ahead and till the grass and hay together and then plant my fall garden?

The book I have been reading really wants me toy try green manures. So I could do rye grass to fill in my garden

I have only done the vinegar, soap, water around my house , nor the garden . I use a propane torch on ,my fence lines

Nothing wrong with toying around. I'm interested in the results. Don't cut the vinegar with water. Torch the big patches of grass in the garden(if it won't burn the plants) and maintain with the vinegar.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12791521 06/14/18 12:33 PM
C
crapyetr Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I don't see how I could get all the roots up of the grass in a area this large

glyphosate (in Roundup) is not soil active...why not use it to kill the bermuda???

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12791777 06/14/18 03:40 PM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Derek, thank you for the thoughts. After it got so late in the planting process, I could have probably planted a week or so earlier. I decided to wait until June 1st to honor my Grandson who turned 19 on that day. He is a Medic in the 3rd Infantry BN, 1st Combat Team, stationed at Camp Humphreys in South Korea. I planted what I did because I needed a diversion from our everyday life and my wife likes the salsa I make from my crop every year. Thanks again

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12791807 06/14/18 04:00 PM
C
crapyetr Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Porters are startin' to ripen...there's a bunch of clusters in there...

peppers / purple hulls (1st planting) and cucumber

squash / self pollinating cucumber / purple hulls (2nd planting) / corn

i'm dun planting until mid to late August

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12791999 06/14/18 06:09 PM
trlrman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Looking at tilling and planting okra next week look's like it finally got hot ! flame Hab's , fatali's ,ghost , and reaper's are loading up ! Transplanted 6 volunteer mammoths after finding out the big plants from the green house are ghost .Lynn you got it lookin good !

Last edited by trlrman; 06/14/18 06:13 PM.
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12792403 06/15/18 12:46 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Looks great crapyetr!

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12793689 06/16/18 01:09 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Looking for a good true heat summer tomato. Looking for a big slicer. Lowes had Bonnie - Solar Fire, Summer Set and Heatmaster. Haven't had a chance to research them. All were a big slicer and determinate which is what I want. Any other recommendations on a big tomato that will produce through the summer heat?

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: Derek 🐝] #12793712 06/16/18 01:28 AM
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
Looking for a good true heat summer tomato. Looking for a big slicer. Lowes had Bonnie - Solar Fire, Summer Set and Heatmaster. Haven't had a chance to research them. All were a big slicer and determinate which is what I want. Any other recommendations on a big tomato that will produce through the summer heat?

I have a couple of "Summer Sets" flowering/fruiting right now . They don't seem to wilt from the heat as quickly as the Early Girls and Celebrities . Time will tell .

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: crapyetr] #12793724 06/16/18 01:38 AM
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: crapyetr

glyphosate (in Roundup) is not soil active...why not use it to kill the bermuda???

Glyphosate is the subject of much debate concerning its carcinogenic (cancer causing) properties . The jury's still out but I'd be careful about using it in a food garden .

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: Siberman] #12793756 06/16/18 02:07 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: Siberman
Originally Posted By: crapyetr

Glyphosate is the subject of much debate concerning its carcinogenic (cancer causing) properties . The jury's still out but I'd be careful about using it in a food garden.

Even Neil Sperry doesn't recommend Round Up any more. He'll recommend glyphosate if it's the only active ingredient, and still shies away from it for the most part. But I'm not sure how easy that is to find. Lot's of other ingredients in Round Up and the likes that are not good. It's showing up in soil and water test.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Page 341 of 452 1 2 339 340 341 342 343 451 452
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide