Page 1 of 2 1 2
New fly rod options?? #12792232 06/14/18 09:26 PM
F
Fly Fishing Scout Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F

I am deliberating on a new 5wt fly rod. A general purpose rod for lake/pond fishing.
(Note: I already have an 8wt rod.)

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Fenwick Aetos rods. Feed back??

What about the Orvis Clearwater?? Good, bad, indifferent?

I do not need or want the best, I am just looking for something respectable that I can use for a long time.

Other options?

DH

Texas Mason, Bells Lodge 798.
To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12792378 06/15/18 12:02 AM
M
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
TFO Profesional II 8 1/2, 9 or 10 versions. Cant beat tire warranty.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12792445 06/15/18 01:34 AM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Good warrantys are a great thing.

I have only heard of TFO, I will go look at their professional rod.

THANKS!!!!

DH

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12792705 06/15/18 10:57 AM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Awesome.

After a PM and a post here, that is two in favor of the TFO Pro.

DH

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12792781 06/15/18 01:11 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Whats the difference between the TFO Professional and the TFO Lefty Kreh Professional??

I just didnt want to assume it was the same rod.

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12792800 06/15/18 01:29 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
It's the same rod. The full name include's Lefty Kreh's name. The Pro series rods are 4 pc rods and they are nice rods. I have some that I bought for student rods, but I often grab one to fish with.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: RexW] #12792906 06/15/18 02:25 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: RexW
It's the same rod. The full name include's Lefty Kreh's name.

Awesome and thank you!

... but I often grab one to fish with.

That right there is golden information!!

This is just as much as a which 5wt rod do you like fishing with question as it is anything.

Duane

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12794076 06/16/18 02:58 PM
D
D Miner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Big fan of Fenwick here. I have Fenwick Aetos fly rods in 3 and 8 wt. I also have a 5 wt Fenwick HMG rod which is considered to be similar in performance to the Aetos line. I did not know much about fly rods when getting started, so I just went with Fenwick because I like their conventional fishing rods. Turns out the Aetos is considered to be an excellent fly rod in it's price range.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12794924 06/17/18 02:07 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
While I think the TFO warranty is outstanding and that its great to support local companies, there is no doubt in my mind that mid line Sage rods like the Pulse and the new Foundation outperform the top line TFO rods by a mile. Then if you have the dough to find a used Sage One or buy the new X, it's a different ballgame altogether.

Sage, Winston and Scott rods as a whole build better performance rods than TFO. Bottom line.

4W

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12795032 06/17/18 03:55 PM
M
Mitt78 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted By: mbarker68x
TFO Profesional II 8 1/2, 9 or 10 versions. Cant beat tire warranty.

I have to agree with this. If I remember they are a medium fast action rod. I picked up a series one last year and use it as my lake/pod rod. But my go to rod is a 5/6wt 7' Academy All Star. We can all make suggestions on what we like but in the end what's good for one of us is the worst rod ever for another. I would see if you can find a place and test the rods before you go and buy one.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Mitt78] #12795150 06/17/18 05:57 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: Mitt78
[quote=mbarker68x]. We can all make suggestions on what we like but in the end what's good for one of us is the worst rod ever for another. I would see if you can find a place and test the rods before you go and buy one.

You said a mouth full!!

I complete understand. I have a degree in Tuba performance. I understand how giving advice on a fly rod could be like telling someone what type of horn to buy. The parallelisms can be made more than your could fathom. LOL

But, there are always those gems that just stand out.

To further agree with your point, just reading over the judges notes on the Yellow Stone Angler shootout. You can plainly see different nuances that are focused on in each of the judges notes. These inflections also bring out the judges strong points. Just saying.

PS,

THANK YOU FOE THE COMMENTS!!!!!!

Duane.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12795455 06/17/18 11:30 PM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I've got a 6 weight TFO Clouser. I am not crazy about the way it casts (may just not fit my casting style) so I don't take it out much. My main issue is the reel seat has always given me trouble with the nut locking up and getting stuck. I have sent it back to TFO twice to be replaced (for free) and it keeps locking up, so I am not going to waste time trying to get it fixed again.

Overall, if I was going to buy another $200 rod, I would go with an Orvis Clearwater. I have a Clearwater 4 weight and it has worked flawlessly for four years. My dad has one in 5 weight and my brother has a Clearwater 8 weight and none of us have anything negative to say about them. Now, they don't cast like an $800-$1,000 rod, but for what they cost, they can't be beat in my opinion.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12795592 06/18/18 01:28 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
For what it's worth, I prefer faster rods. I have TFO Pro IIs in 2, 7, and 10 weights. I absolutely love my Pro II 2 weight, but the 7 and 10 -- both medium fast actions -- take a back seat to my Orvis Clearwaters -- tip flex -- (5, 8, & 12 weights). The Clearwater is an awful lot of rod for the money. They have a great warranty, too. But my casting preferences and yours may not be the same, and you really need to test cast them to determine which rods work best for your preferences. Either rod is a great value, and the Orvis rods are, or at least were when I bought them, available in tip flex (fast) actions or mid flex (medium) actions. As a generalization, the faster rods will deliver more power and distance, while the slower rods will deliver more accuracy. But each of us has his / her own preferences.

Last week I played with a 6 weight Orvis H3 D, with a Hydros Redfish line. That thing was a cannon!!! I felt like I could have shot the line and half of the backing. If I had the money......

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Jim Ford] #12796025 06/18/18 03:04 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
Last week I played with a 6 weight Orvis H3 D, with a Hydros Redfish line. That thing was a cannon!!! I felt like I could have shot the line and half of the backing. If I had the money......

Those are such sweet rods. Even the H3F rods shoot line like a rocket. Fished a 10ft 7wt H3F for carp the other day and it was a transcendent experience.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12796479 06/18/18 07:43 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Gentleman, Thank you for your time and comments!!!

I think the Helios might be a little out of my price range. LOL.

Jim, I did not know that I could purchase a fast or medium Clearwater, thank you!!

I am going to have to start taking lessons. Maybe I can start planning on making it to Cabelas in Allen on Saturday. If my memory serves me correctly, the gentleman from the Dallas fly fishing club are there on Saturday mornings promoting fly fishing and tying flies.

I can purchase the finest rod in the world, however, the tool is only as good as the skill level of the person using it.

Dune.

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798120 06/19/18 09:15 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Dune,

I will tell you how I learned a lot and what helped my casting curve. If you have a current rod or an old one, tie some yarn to the end of it and take it out in the yard or your street in front of the house and practice. I did this for 6 months before I ever went fishing. 20-30 minutes a day for 4-5 days a week and you can really improve your casting. Youtube is also a great resource for getting the fundamentals. Then go do it.

Good luck !

www.aztecanglers.com
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798195 06/19/18 10:16 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
4Weight, I practice at least 30+ minuets a day. However, I have not tied a piece of yarn to my line yet.

There are several publications that have helped. YouTube has been awesome. Orvis has several how tos for beginners. Capt Chris Myers has several awesome videos as well.

Honestly, I feel like I am at the point I would need to start videoing my self and critiquing. The problem I have is I may not be good enough to do that. LOL

And then there is double hauling. Ya, not even going to go there... LOL

I did learn Capt Myerss quick cast. Thats a handy cast.

Duane

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798415 06/20/18 12:56 AM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout
4Weight, I practice at least 30+ minuets a day. However, I have not tied a piece of yarn to my line yet.

There are several publications that have helped. YouTube has been awesome. Orvis has several how tos for beginners. Capt Chris Myers has several awesome videos as well.

Honestly, I feel like I am at the point I would need to start videoing my self and critiquing. The problem I have is I may not be good enough to do that. LOL

Duane

If you go out and practice in the grass, take a junk leader and tie a bunch of gnarly loops into it, then snip several of the loops to give you a bunch of tag ends. Google pics of a "grass leader" to see an example. What it'll do is catch up in the grass and help load the rod on the backcast. It simulates the load you get on the backcast when the line you have laid out begins to break surface tension with the water. It helps when you're lawn casting for practice.

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12798570 06/20/18 02:20 AM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson

Duane

If you go out and practice in the grass, take a junk leader and tie a bunch of gnarly loops into it, then snip several of the loops to give you a bunch of tag ends. Google pics of a "grass leader" to see an example. What it'll do is catch up in the grass and help load the rod on the backcast. It simulates the load you get on the backcast when the line you have laid out begins to break surface tension with the water. It helps when you're lawn casting for practice.

Floon I like that, sounds like you are simulating a pick up cast which is a great way for beginners to learn to feel how tension in the line can help you throw it. Duane, I've been fishing many years and double haul like %$%$ ! Don't worry about that or how you look. Learn to cast where you need your fly to be and then go catch fish.

That's whats is all about anyway.

Good feedback everyone !

4W

www.aztecanglers.com
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798639 06/20/18 03:00 AM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Man, I really dig your enthusiasm for this stuff. It can get you into some truly magnificent places and give you a reason to find little special corners of your own neighborhood that you'd otherwise never know existed. Cheers brother!

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798660 06/20/18 03:10 AM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
You know, I took my own advice and Googled a grass leader. The places I saw it show up were on spey casting posts and websites. To think of it, that's when I used one, too. Maybe it is not as useful for the pickup of a regular cast...not sure. To be honest, I've parking lot casted a bunch of rods, but the only thing I've ever practiced in the grass was spey casting. A regular cast might lift the lift the line quick enough that it is not necessary.

Rex is your man for casting advice. He doesn't know it, because, well "Floon" rings no bells, but he's helped me with a cast or two over the years. He's a great caster - take his advice.

Rex - you ever use a grass leader with your casting instructions for just regular one-handed casting?

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12798943 06/20/18 01:22 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Floon, you are awesome and thank you for putting up with me!! I have a passion and love for the outdoors which was kindled by my father. I am just lucky I can share this passion with my family.

I look at fly fishing as a performing art. (Remember I have an advanced degree in music performance.) When I hit the water, I want my basics fundamentals to be there. I have found this concept has made my time on the water with a fly rod more enjoyable.

I have 5 ponds with in a 10 min drive from my house. 3 of which are on family owned land. Then there is also Bonham State Park, Loy Lake, Dean Gilbert, and Herman Baker which are all 20-25 min drive from my house and life is good.

I am familiar with the drag on the water you are referring to. Capt Myers does address this in one of his videos for the overhead cast. He makes it look so effortless as he emphasizes the importance of lifting the line, as he lifts the fly line off the water all the way to the leader before he even starts his back cast. His coaching then focuses on progressively accelerating from the 10:00 to the 2:00 positions, throwing the paint loaded on the tip of your fly rod up and back behind you. The practical application of this theory, well, lets just say that it is not 100% muscle memory yet. LOL

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Floon Swenson] #12798989 06/20/18 01:52 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
Rex - you ever use a grass leader with your casting instructions for just regular one-handed casting?

Floon, thanks for the kind words. I've played with grass leaders a little bit and I've met some instructors that use them, but I don't use them. They are most often used for Roll Cast or as mentioned Spey style casting on the grass. Those casting styles use a "water anchor" to help load the rod and grass leaders and other types of casting aids can be helpful when practicing on grass in place of water. Personally, I tend to focus more on timing and stroke length when learning to Roll Cast than using casting aids, but other instructors love using them.

One more comment to add the general discussion. Use caution when practicing on parking lots or driveways. Asphalt and cement are very hard on plastic fly lines and will wear them out quickly. I use an old fly line anytime I have to do a class in a parking lot. Grass does less damage to fly lines, but it will make them dirty. Keeping a fly line clean will help it to fish better.

Also, always use some type leader whenever practicing your casting. Casting a fly line without a leader can damage the tip of the plastic fly line. A mono leader is cheaper to replace than a full fly line.

Have fun!

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: 4Weight] #12799087 06/20/18 02:47 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: 4Weight

Don't worry about that or how you look. Learn to cast where you need your fly to be and then go catch fish.

That's whats is all about anyway.

4W

That is an awesome point. To many times we get caught up in gear/form and forget what brought us to this sport.

Duane.

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: RexW] #12799125 06/20/18 03:16 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F

Use caution when practicing on parking lots or driveways. Asphalt and cement are very hard on plastic fly lines and will wear them out quickly. I use an old fly line anytime I have to do a class in a parking lot. Grass does less damage to fly lines, but it will make them dirty. Keeping a fly line clean will help it to fish better.

Also, always use some type leader whenever practicing your casting. Casting a fly line without a leader can damage the tip of the plastic fly line. A mono leader is cheaper to replace than a full fly line.

Have fun!

Great point! And actually, a very thoughtful one as well. Lets face it, fly line is not cheap...

I am fortunate enough to live on 5 acres in the country. So grass casting is not a problem. I also have a designated fly line with mono leader & tip I use for practice.

My theory has been that if I can cast decently with the cheap fly line that came with the Cabelas combo, then I should not have any problems casting with the better Scientific Anglers line.

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12799844 06/21/18 01:04 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
"One more comment to add the general discussion. Use caution when practicing on parking lots or driveways. Asphalt and cement are very hard on plastic fly lines and will wear them out quickly. I use an old fly line anytime I have to do a class in a parking lot. Grass does less damage to fly lines, but it will make them dirty. Keeping a fly line clean will help it to fish better. "

Interesting; I always thought that (and I still do). But there is another school of thought out there that says grass is harder on your fly line than concrete or asphalt. I don't see how it could be, but I've never (and am not about to) done valid comparisons. Food for thought though......

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Jim Ford] #12800332 06/21/18 02:11 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Interesting; I always thought that (and I still do). But there is another school of thought out there that says grass is harder on your fly line than concrete or asphalt. I don't see how it could be, but I've never (and am not about to) done valid comparisons. Food for thought though......

Jim, I can only comment based on my own experience. We have to use a parking lot for classes at Fly Fish Texas each year and my fly lines show a lot more wear after a day casting in a parking lot than in the grass.

I will add that I use different lines whenever possible for practice and for fishing. I use my best lines for fishing. laugh

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: RexW] #12801151 06/22/18 01:43 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

Jim, I can only comment based on my own experience. We have to use a parking lot for classes at Fly Fish Texas each year and my fly lines show a lot more wear after a day casting in a parking lot than in the grass.

I will add that I use different lines whenever possible for practice and for fishing. I use my best lines for fishing. laugh

Same here; we have done classes on neatly mowed grass, concrete parking lots, and water. I never threw my own lines on concrete, but the grass never seemed to cause any significant harm to my lines, and I used them frequently on grass. Just thought I'd throw that perspective in here, even though I'm not an adherent of it. I can't really call BS on it until I prove it wrong, and I'm just not that motivated. It's a "born in the forties" thing.........

Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12801413 06/22/18 01:14 PM
F
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
After considerable research, advice, and the fact that I found it on Amazon at a really good price, I ended up purchasing a Fenwick Aetos 905-4 rod.
(I think Fenwick lists it as a 904-5. 9ft, 4pc, 5wt.)

This may sound crazy. However, with this rod, if my performance is less than desirable, I know that it is my execution of the cast and not the rods potential or ability.

In English, if I am sucking, it is me and not the rod. LOL

To be one, ask one.
Re: New fly rod options?? [Re: Fly Fishing Scout] #12801776 06/22/18 05:40 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
After considerable research, advice, and the fact that I found it on Amazon at a really good price, I ended up purchasing a Fenwick Aetos 905-4 rod.
(I think Fenwick lists it as a 904-5. 9ft, 4pc, 5wt.)

This may sound crazy. However, with this rod, if my performance is less than desirable, I know that it is my execution of the cast and not the rods potential or ability.

In English, if I am sucking, it is me and not the rod. LOL

Nice job Scout I hope you are happy with the rod. Good luck and good fishing !

www.aztecanglers.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide