Page 1 of 2 1 2
Noodling tournaments #12788672 06/12/18 02:08 AM
M
Monkeypuncher Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Was reading about noodling tournaments on the internet recently. I commented about my concern about the potential damage it might do to a lakes flathead population since that is the main species targeted, and they grab them off their spawning beds. Im not against noodling per se, but it just seems to me that when you get these larger groups doing it in a specific area, it has to impact the fisheries catfish population. You would have thought I insulted their mother with all the negative responses I received with hardly any support. What are your thoughts on these noodling tournaments ?

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12788878 06/12/18 11:01 AM
W
WillieRip Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
W
How it this different than any other tournament series in terms of its impact on fish population? I'm ignorant on the way noodle tournaments work. Is it catch-and-release?

I do a lot of jug fishing, but I only catch what will fit in my cooler, I often only need to catch three fish per day, and I often only need to fish four days per month. Three 20+ inch catfish is enough for me to eat off of for about a week.

But you're talking about tournaments. I have no idea how they work.

Black Warrior Lures
Slip floats that get'em in the boat!
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12788951 06/12/18 12:46 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If its catch and release with big penalties for dead fish, I dont see the problem. Imagine how the spawning bass get hammered off beds on fork, 100s of boats every weekend in the same areas and they still spawn. They wont catch or even find most the big spawning flathead I dont think.

Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12788982 06/12/18 01:09 PM
W
WillieRip Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
W
Yeah, Blue. That's what I was thinking. If it is catch-and-release and dead fish are heavily penalized, then it seem the fellow just doesn't like noodle/jug fishermen and is trying to find some way to get rid of them.

If it is that out-and-out hoarding and slaughtering of wheelbarrows full of catfish just out of greed, then, yeah, it is a conservation concern that needs to be addressed.

From my experience rod-and-reel fishermen and jug fishermen don't get along. I see rod-and-reel guys out there catching nothing. I idle up and drop 12 jugs and catch more fish in 30 minutes that he has caught all day. Jealousy sets in.

That's why I never jug near or when rod-and-reel guys are out on the water. The main reason is I don't want to get in their way. Second people get crazy out on the water when they aren't catching and you're hauling the in. Third I'm a black guy in west-central Alabama.

Lastly jug fishing is an artisanal method of fishing designed to feed yourself and your family. Sport fishing is just for fun. By definition juggin' is far more efficient at catching fish than rod-and-reel. It even beats my handlines, and you know how much I love handlines.

Sport fishing slows you down on purpose because that's the sport of it: to put yourself at a disadvantage to make a sport out of it. It's like taking all the death, killer moves out of a martial art so you can make it a spectator sport like MMA or any of the Olympic martial art events. At that point it's just a sport, purely for entertainment purposes.

Likewise sport fishermen see the meat fishermen catching cooler fulls of fish for near zero cost in terms of dollars spent on equipment, and they get jealous.

Last edited by WillieRip; 06/12/18 01:14 PM.

Black Warrior Lures
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12789037 06/12/18 01:46 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If we can go 10 rods against 10 jugs, most weight wins, Ill bet on my rods Willie.... grin cheers

But yes I agree jugs can be extremely effective.

Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12789200 06/12/18 03:25 PM
W
WillieRip Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
W
But see that's the difference. I'm not doing to to compete. I'm doing it to feed myself. On a cost-to-performance ratio, the cost of 10 rods, reels and line compared to 10 jugs, there isn't a comparison.

I don't keep the heaviest fish I catch. I throw them back. I target eating-sized fish. By definition that means medium to medium-small fish. Big fish are too hazadous to eat and it's better to keep them in the gene pool. also I fish wit ha 12 ft jon boat and a 20 inch cooler. By definition if you have a bigger boat with a larger cooler you'd have more fish by weight.

I don't catch fish by weight I catch based on what I will eat this week. That's a totally different mindest. 3 medium catfish are all I need for one week food. I have on reason to catch more.

Sport fishing is so prevalent, people don't even know they're thinking like a sportsman and not like a someone trying to feed themselves and their families.

I'm not a competitive person. I care less for what and how much others catch.

Last edited by WillieRip; 06/12/18 03:33 PM.

Black Warrior Lures
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12789283 06/12/18 04:15 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I grew up juggin with my old man for meat fish. Im strictly a rod and reeler these days cuz its a lot more challenging to me. I dont think jealousy has much to do with it Willy. Why would someone who can catch em by rod and reel be jealous of a jugger? Most of my fishin buddies would say that guys use jugs for 2 reasons, #1cuz they want to eat and #2 they arent very good at catching cats by rod and reel. I think most people that dont like jugging dont like seeing abandoned jug after abandoned jug with green algae growing on them in practically every area of the lake. texas

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12789287 06/12/18 04:19 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I just like catching the biggest that I can then I put them back. Eat fish a few times a year so not a big need to clean a bunch. Actually struggled on Easter weekend trying to catch eaters for a family fry, caught all big ones most the day and finally found some 5-10lb fish late in the evening.

But I hear ya willie we all fish differently, thats whats cool about this forum.

Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12789485 06/12/18 06:11 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
FYI with noodling, a lot of the tournaments do not do catch and release. With that said, the majority of people actually underestimate the populations of fish species in water bodies. One noodling tournament is not going to have that much of an impact on the population of a fish that so few people fish for. The quantity and size of the fish people catch speaks to the health of a population.

Eric

Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12789522 06/12/18 06:32 PM
W
WillieRip Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
W
Azul, yeah, I'm talking about the rod-and-reel people who don't catch much. Also the reason why I started using Big Gun jugs is because they sit higher off the water, easy to identify, and I fish fewer jugs--only 12. Those two have eliminated losing jugs altogether.

Part of the reason I would lose jugs was because the cats I would catch would be big hogs able to plow a corn field. I hated the fact that a prize fish like that could be hooked on one of my jugs, so I came up with a new design for that purpose.

Eritt, yeah, one tourney for one lake, but as with any conversation concern, man, oh, man, yeah, the health of the population right now is not what we're worried about. It took decades for the population of trophy stripped bass on the Chesapeake Bay to collapse, going all the way back to the Industrial Era. Just because it's plentiful doesn't mean it's okay to harvest recklessly. The way we're fishing now, we may not see the effects of it for 50 years or something.

Even though I "elbow" and haggle rod-and-reel guys, the technology with sonar is so precise that it wouldn't take but a few good fishermen to really put a hurt on any fish population. Even Asian carp can be eliminated with enough dynamite.

Need to go cut me some cane pole. You fellas have given me a weird idea for drift fishing for cats on cane poles. That would be fun!

Last edited by WillieRip; 06/12/18 09:35 PM.

Black Warrior Lures
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12790584 06/13/18 04:57 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Ok, I am not a noodler but I just wanna say sumpin. From what I understand, this is what happens when flatheads spawn. A male flathead will scout out a hole and build a nest or prepare a nest. Once its ready and its time, he will go out and find a nice big female and bring her in. If the female approves of the nest and the male, she will then flip over on her back and shoot the eggs up onto something hard like the bottom of a stump or concrete or whatever. Once the eggs have been shot, the male will then do his thing and then they will hang around and both protect the nest and eggs together. A noodler then comes in and reaches in and gets a holt of the female. She goes crazy and in the scurry flips all over the place and eggs are knocked around everywhere and destroyed along with the nest. The noodler then takes the big female home and eats it. The poor ole male is then left with everything trashed and somebody took his vaj !!!!! So he cleans up the nest again gets it all ready and then goes back out to find another female. Within two to four days, the male will have another big female in the hole. She will do her thing and the male will do his thing. Then bam, the noodler will return and come in and pull the big female out and the male will then lose his vaj again!!!!! And the process is then repeated over and over... Pretty crazy... I know one thing. Im glad Im not a male flathead cause I would live pissed and worn out from fightin to protect my vaj all the time!!!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish

Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: OPTIMUS PRIME] #12790646 06/13/18 05:42 PM
S
spazm09 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
she will then flip over on her back and shoot the eggs up onto something hard like the bottom of a stump or concrete or whatever. Once the eggs have been shot, the male will then do his thing

sounds kinky

[Linked Image]
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: spazm09] #12790958 06/13/18 09:59 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: spazm09
she will then flip over on her back and shoot the eggs up onto something hard like the bottom of a stump or concrete or whatever. Once the eggs have been shot, the male will then do his thing

sounds kinky

Ha!!! roflmao
nice boxer Spazm!! thumb

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: OPTIMUS PRIME] #12791248 06/14/18 02:19 AM
M
Monkeypuncher Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Ok, I am not a noodler but I just wanna say sumpin. From what I understand, this is what happens when flatheads spawn. A male flathead will scout out a hole and build a nest or prepare a nest. Once its ready and its time, he will go out and find a nice big female and bring her in. If the female approves of the nest and the male, she will then flip over on her back and shoot the eggs up onto something hard like the bottom of a stump or concrete or whatever. Once the eggs have been shot, the male will then do his thing and then they will hang around and both protect the nest and eggs together. A noodler then comes in and reaches in and gets a holt of the female. She goes crazy and in the scurry flips all over the place and eggs are knocked around everywhere and destroyed along with the nest. The noodler then takes the big female home and eats it. The poor ole male is then left with everything trashed and somebody took his vaj !!!!! So he cleans up the nest again gets it all ready and then goes back out to find another female. Within two to four days, the male will have another big female in the hole. She will do her thing and the male will do his thing. Then bam, the noodler will return and come in and pull the big female out and the male will then lose his vaj again!!!!! And the process is then repeated over and over... Pretty crazy... I know one thing. Im glad Im not a male flathead cause I would live pissed and worn out from fightin to protect my vaj all the time!!!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish

Thats my understanding too. Seems like quite a few misunderstood my question. Wasnt asking about the fish being taken, but the trashed nests and the eggs that are destroyed.

Re: Noodling tournaments [Re: Monkeypuncher] #12791852 06/14/18 04:32 PM
W
WillieRip Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
W
Oh, I see what you mean, my mistake. Yeah, that's something to look at and be considered conversationally.

Black Warrior Lures
blackwarriorlures.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide