texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,879
Posts13,954,696
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Txduckhunter] #12788345 06/11/18 09:53 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Dead fish are a waste of the resource. And illegal.

Only illegal if you throw them back or in the trash......then it is considered "wanton waste".

It is the law that game fish must be kept in edible condition. That means alive or on ice.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: ChuChu1] #12788373 06/11/18 10:16 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Dead fish are a waste of the resource. And illegal.

Only illegal if you throw them back or in the trash......then it is considered "wanton waste".

It is the law that game fish must be kept in edible condition. That means alive or on ice.

But never enforced. Just go to the ramps after a tournament. At what point does a fish change possession? What if it dies 1 minute after they release into the lake? Shrug shoulders?

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788379 06/11/18 10:21 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I believe it should be enforced. I also believe a resource document should be required as per the law to "hand off" the tournament bag of fish.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788383 06/11/18 10:22 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
There have been some good comments in this thread, but the bottom line is: TP&W caters to bass tournaments. Period.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: ChuChu1] #12788391 06/11/18 10:32 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
There have been some good comments in this thread, but the bottom line is: TP&W caters to bass tournaments. Period.

They may but I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen people keep fish for no reason then go sling them back in the lake after running around with them all day. No tournament or anything.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: ChuChu1] #12788393 06/11/18 10:33 PM
Outlaw Outdoors Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

For good reason. Do you realize the economic impact of tournaments?

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788398 06/11/18 10:42 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
No, show me some numbers.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788401 06/11/18 10:44 PM
T
TxBassSniper Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
Not to mention the fish you don't see at the ramp the are dead or dying that get thrown back as a cull or to keep from getting penalized. I used to see it all the time, so I know it goes on, probably more now that ever. A guy has a 3 lbs floater that is still moving its gills but is upside down in the live well with no chance of survival and replaces it with a 2 3/4 fish to avoid a penalty. Also several trails that don't report dead fish, I've also seen that personally.

Maybe Yetti and the boat companies can team up and get a decent live well system. Of course the boat would weigh 500 lbs more, but the fish would have a better chance to survive.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788405 06/11/18 10:48 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
It's not the livewell if it's deep caught. It's proper fizzing first of all. Multiple factors go into fish care.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: ChuChu1] #12788412 06/11/18 10:52 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
No, show me some numbers.

Entire PDF is 61 pages but here's just 1 page. McDonald's impact 8 million alone.

32 million spent on fishing and of that 23 million because of tournaments. Pretty substantial impact

Last edited by Jaret Latta; 06/11/18 10:53 PM.
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788446 06/11/18 11:21 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Yes but in reality you can't compare a McDonald's tournament to traditional tournaments. First, they bring in many more people than most any other type of tournament so of course their dollars brought in will be much higher. Secondly, it is a big bass tournament and most of the people will not have the fish in the livewell for more than an hour or two before weighing in.

Have more required weigh ins set throughout the day and require the contestant to limit the amount of time that the fish remain in the livewell. The tournament could keep tallys on the weight and still allow the contestant to cull weight from his total throughout the tournament. I'm sure the fishermen would not like having to leave their spot to weigh in, afraid someone else would be there when they returned but they would learn to deal with it or find another hobby.

The fact that there is money involved, there are many tournament fishermen who don't care about the mortality or the time spent learning to better take care of the fish. they are just there for some quick cash. I've seen posts in the past where the question was asked and there are many people here that do not find fishing a hobby that they are that interested in. The cash is what makes them interested in fishing. I saw some on here that surprised me say that they thought fun fishing was boring.

I would like to see some restrictions on tournaments to do more like have proper release boats to put the fish back in places on the lake that aren't as hot as the water in the weigh in area. I also wouldn't be against a study to find an acceptable mortality rate and hold the tournament director responsible for excessive waste of the fish. They would in turn have to ensure that their contestants knew and used proper care of the fish or they would not be allowed to enter the tournament.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788450 06/11/18 11:24 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
I take my fish home with me for the grease after a tournament.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788476 06/11/18 11:38 PM
W
WackySenko Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
I believe it should be enforced. I also believe a resource document should be required as per the law to "hand off" the tournament bag of fish.

It is probably the most cared for/released game animal in the country. Next to wt deer it's the biggest economic (outdoor) force in the state they should cater to them. Wildlife resource document to weigh fish smh.

"Its not an addiction...its a disease! and I LIKE it! keeps my sanity in this cruel world!"
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12788478 06/11/18 11:38 PM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
Fished a Tournament past Saturday , caught a nice keeper early , kept it all day with live well running , released at ramp , beautiful fish when I first caught it , when released looked like it just been in a bar fight .

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Chris G] #12788482 06/11/18 11:39 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Chris G
As long as there are tournaments in the heat of summer with air temps at 100+ and surface temps in the mid to upper 80's, some fish are going to die, especially if they are caught deep and not fizzed. That all being said, I would still say there is more the anglers can do to help. I've fished my share of tournaments and have never lost a fish. Granted I fish very few of them in July and August but I have fished a few during those months.

When Squaw creek had their very first Fun and Sun charity event before the lake opened back up to the public, they gave a very informative seminar on fish care the night before the event and if memory serves me, there wasn't a single dead fish weighed in. It was basic stuff like adding the right amount of ice, a little H2O2 and obviously some Please Release Me. They actually had a huge load of ice brought in and required all teams to buy 3 or 4 bags to help with livewell temps. Maybe that's something to consider for these events on Rayburn.

Here is the info we were given for that event:

This was put together for an event I fished a few years back. The biologists at Sure Life put the fish care tips together for us. They are the folks that make Please Release Me etc. Their whole livelihood is fish care.

This proactive plan to keep your catch healthy was created by the folks at Sure Life and has been used in several summer time tournaments with great results. Keep in mind the water temp at Squaw Creek was over 90 degrees for most of the lake and I don't know of a single fish that was not released alive.

In an effort to provide the best possible live release during tournaments; we are encouraging you to be proactive in addressing livewell conditions ALL DAY LONG. Although the weigh in procedure is critical, your handling of the fish throughout the day is even more critical, since the fish are in YOUR POSSESSION for the majority of the time. Please study the following suggestions and give them your utmost consideration.

1. In order to properly condition a livewell, you need to know the approximate volume of your livewell. We highly recommend that you measure the dimensions of your livewell(s) ahead of time to determine gallon volume. Use the following formula to determine the water capacity of your square or rectangular livewell. Using a measuring device (tape or ruler), multiply length times width times height of water in livewell (all in feet) times the constant 7.5. The result will be in gallons.
2. Fill livewell(s) early (shortly after takeoff) from good water in main body of lake. Do not fill livewell(s) or exchange water in creeks or coves and especially NOT at take off site. HELPFUL TIP: If you have separate livewells, fill first livewell early and store bags of ice in second livewell. This will help keep the primary livewell cool. Afterwards, if you need the second livewell, it will be easier to cool down. This method will also conserve your ice.
3. IMPORTANT!!!! Treat livewell with CATCH & RELEASE early and re-circulate for a couple of minutes to thoroughly mix. For tournaments use the following chart to determine proper amount of CATCH & RELEASE to add to your livewell. MAKE SURE YOU DOSE LIVEWELL BEFORE YOU START FISHING!!!!

GALLONS OF WATER CAPFUL(S) OF CATCH & RELEASE FROM 10 OZ. BOTTLE
10-15 Gallons 2 Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
20 Gallons 3 3 Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
25-30 Gallons 5 Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
50 Gallons 7 Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE

4. CRITICAL!!!LIVEWELL TEMPERATURES. Please keep your livewell(s) as close as possible to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. DO NOT LET LIVEWELL TEMPERATURES EXCEED 75 degrees Fahrenheit at any time. Check your thermometer OFTEN to make sure temperatures are in target range.
5. Add 3% hydrogen peroxide to livewell once you catch your FIRST FISH. The 3% hydrogen peroxide will provide adequate dissolved oxygen levels even if you experience livewell failure. Pay attention to the dosage rates below and do not exceed our recommendations. Repeat this procedure when you start to operate second livewell upon introduction of fish.

GALLONS OF WATER 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE DOSAGE RATE
10-15 Gallons Cupful (4 Fluid Ounces)
20 Gallons Cupful (6 Fluid Ounces)
25-30 Gallons 1 Cupful (8 Fluid Ounces)
50 Gallons 2 Cupfuls (16 Fluid Ounces)

6. If you catch a heavy load of fish, please exchange water in livewell at least once during the day and repeat cooling of water, dosing of CATCH & RELEASE and reapply hydrogen peroxide to livewell.
7. IMPORTANT!!!!!!!DO NOT. REPEAT. DO NOT PUMP IN FRESH WATER OR RECIRCULATE FRESH WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY. This will defeat the purpose of cooling the water down and applications of water conditioners. DO NOT OPERATE LIVEWELLS ON TIMED AERATION. KEEP LIVEWELLS ON MANUAL RECIRCULATION CONSTANTLY.
8. DO NOT FILL WEIGH IN BAGS FROM WATER OVER THE SIDE OF BOAT AT WEIGH IN SITE!!!! Fill bags with water from treated and cooled livewells. Dip bags in livewells to fill with water or pump water from livewell through pump out pumps directly to bags as they hang off side of boat. To fill bags with water from lake at this point will totally defeat the purpose of all the work you have done in that livewell throughout the day.
9. TIPS FOR DEEP HOOKED OR WOUNDED (BLEEDING) BASS: Wet hands and try to remove hook using through the gill method working quickly. Do not keep bass out of water for more than 40 seconds. If having difficulty, then place bass in livewell water between procedures and allow it to breathe for a few moments and resume task of hook removal. If bass has swallowed the hook, then cut the line close as possible to hook eye and place bass in livewell. If bass is bleeding from body or gills, apply a pinch of CATCH & RELEASE directly to the wound. While we cant guarantee that your bass will live, following these procedures will give them the best possible chance for survival.
10. TIPS FOR PROPERLY HANDLING FISH: Try to keep handling bass to a MINIMUM! Try not to let bass come in contact with carpet or let bass bounce around on carpet. This will cause extreme injury to the all-important slime coat or skin of the bass. If you do disrupt slime coating from this action, then this is a good time to rub some CATCH & RELEASE on abrasion. Be cautious not to break jaws of bass. Once broken, that bass will not be able to feed again. ALWAYS hold bass in vertical position or use TWO HANDS to support body. Holding bass with single hand by way of mouth in a horizontal position without proper support will dislocate or break jaw.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide