Print Thread
Bassmaster open co angler #12787704 06/11/18 02:58 PM
D
D-Mert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Has anyone ever fished the bassmaster opens as a co angler? If so, could you share your experience and any details as to what all it entails. Thank you.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12787731 06/11/18 03:11 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Been fishing them the last two years, this year being my third. I enjoy fishing them though many do not. You are at the pros mercy as to where you fish, it is your duty to make do with the situations given.

Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12787766 06/11/18 03:35 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Not that I've had any issues with the Open guys over 3 years of fishing em but if you do this part of Rule 13 applies-
"Any pro that, in the judgment of the officials, operates the boat in such a manner as to unfairly handicap their co-angler partner, shall be disqualified. At no time may a pro competitor request that the co-angler competitor not fish."

ex. would be fishing parallel to a wall all day and you can only cast from the back of the boat over water that has been fished/traveled over.

Lot's of different experiences over the years and I've learned a lot.
Some "pros" are quick to adapt and change to conditions and some just beat the pattern that isn't working anymore to death all day. Most are quiet on the water.
Since they changed the rule about nets you can't really help em land fish anymore(though I have a couple times when asked).
If you "can't" back the boat down the ramp please let them know when you meet up! They can do that part and get out right before entering the water if so letting you pull it back out.
Bring your own drinks/food as you can't expect them to provide that.
Bring gas $$ to offer them but keep in mind how the day went and what they did before you give out an amount. Running 40+ miles one way and you had a chance at fish is different than running 5 miles and he backseated you.
Bring sunscreen!!
You are limited to 6 rods per the rules but some will let you bring more. I don't recommend that as you are limited to where you can put them and they just get tangled up.
For lures bring a small back pack with like 2 plano 3600s and have it all sorted out well so you don't spend lots of time looking for stuff. Ask the boater the day before what you are "expecting" to do so you don't bring squarebills to see 30' FOW all day and vice versa. Stick to a few confidence colors for plastics unless he is really saying they are biting a certain color. Have a small range of those colors to cover some basics.
Be prepared to do something "different" than the boater at least at first or until what he is doing is catching fish consistently and you would be dumb to not change.
Take care of their boat! Don't leave trash out, spill stuff, stand on the seats, slam rods down, etc!!
Bring your own cull balls. Most pros have a divided livewell but I've seen fish swap sides before and you don't want that confusion at weigh-in.
Umm I'm sure there is more but keep a Positive Attitude, Have FUN and Pay Attention!! You are fishing for 3 fish and have 8 hrs to get them and 1 fish makes a HUGE difference almost every time out there. I've missed cuts/checks by 10 ounces before... :-(

Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12787807 06/11/18 04:02 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I haven't fished the Opens, but I fished a few FLW Everstart/Stren/Rayovac/Costa/Whatevertheyregonnabecallednext Series as a Co and what Rudy said is pretty much spot-on. The only suggestions that I would add are to only take four, or no more than five, rods. I would rig up a drop shot and a weightless T-rig, since you may end up dragging off the back of the boat. Also take a couple of extra reels spooled up with different test lines if you have room. This will cover two different scenarios... 1, if your reel blow up with a huge bird's nest, and 2, if you need to change over to a different technique (i.e., T-rig to C-rig). Also, bring your own life jacket. The Pro is not obligated to furnish it for you

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12787892 06/11/18 04:47 PM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Jim and Rudy are spot on. I fish the ABA Opens as a co and that about covers it. Remember, the boater is going to do what he wants and go where he wants. Be ready when he says it's time to go. Extra reels is always a great idea. He may tell you you're fishing deep all day and two hours later he may be throwing a frog in a foot of water. Been there. smile Learn and have fun!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12788127 06/11/18 07:08 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
The last three posts are GREAT advice.

Also, while it's in most people's nature to want to win, go with the flow and have fun. Don't let a bad boater ruin your day. Just fish what you can and catch 3 each day. In average, a back seat limit each day gets paid.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12788253 06/11/18 08:51 PM
HDVS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Fishing parallel to a bank or wall isn't handicapping a co angler if that's what you have to do to get bit. The water on the other side of the boat hasn't been traveled over. Doing what you have to do to catch fish what everyone is there for. Guide trip isn't anywhere in the description. Don't try to compete against the guy in front just fish what he doesn't and it usually results in catching fish.

Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12788376 06/11/18 10:18 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I did two years in the BFL as a co, loved it, trying boater this year and have gotten eat up by guys that can fish 15 days a month.

What they said is spot on. I have a bag that holds 4-3700 boxes, some may say it is to much, but it fits between my feet and holds what I want to carry. I wear an inflatable life jacket and never take it off, saves time. I keep my stuff organized and can be ready to roll before he is off the front deck. My first two boaters in BFL's could not believe I had never been a co, I told them I think about what pisses me off with others in my boat and try not to be that guy.

Right now I am working on getting ready to go to Shreveport to fish the Open, it will be my first. I will be ready to fish whatever the Red River throws at me.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: Phoenix_Ed] #12788428 06/11/18 11:03 PM
M
mudd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: 721Phoenix
I did two years in the BFL as a co, loved it, trying boater this year and have gotten eat up by guys that can fish 15 days a month.

What they said is spot on. I have a bag that holds 4-3700 boxes, some may say it is to much, but it fits between my feet and holds what I want to carry. I wear an inflatable life jacket and never take it off, saves time. I keep my stuff organized and can be ready to roll before he is off the front deck. My first two boaters in BFL's could not believe I had never been a co, I told them I think about what pisses me off with others in my boat and try not to be that guy.

Right now I am working on getting ready to go to Shreveport to fish the Open, it will be my first. I will be ready to fish whatever the Red River throws at me.

Insurance claims usually when u come to Red River

93 Ranger 482vs
95 Bullet 20cc

Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: mudd] #12788433 06/11/18 11:09 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: mudd
Originally Posted By: 721Phoenix

Insurance claims usually when u come to Red River

so true

roflmao roflmao roflmao

#MFGA
Re: Bassmaster open co angler [Re: D-Mert] #12788542 06/12/18 12:36 AM
E
El Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
I always give the Co an input,(he paid an entry fee) an empty compartment, if he needs anything I have
he's welcome to it. I do not accept gas money either( I'd be out there anyway).

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide