texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Any of you guys fish Durango #12772562 05/29/18 02:06 AM
P
patriot07 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
P
We're heading up there at the end of this week. Thinking about taking my fly fishing gear. Is the fishing any good in that area? Any tips or local knowledge you care to share (PM is fine)? I've still never caught a fish on a fly rod and just looking to spend a few hours one or two days out on the water. Most of my trip will be spent with the family hiking and sight-seeing.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12772621 05/29/18 02:54 AM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
The Animas River runs dead through the center of Durango and has great public access. It's heavily pressured and you will be shocked at how small the flies you use are, but it will be a great way to kill half a day. Stop into Duranglers and they will steer you in the right direction.

Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12772789 05/29/18 12:12 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I'm sure you guys have your plans made, but just in case you don't, the train ride is so worth it. It is an incredible way to see some gorgeous country.

Post some river pics when you get back!

Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: Floon Swenson] #12773013 05/29/18 03:51 PM
P
patriot07 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
I'm sure you guys have your plans made, but just in case you don't, the train ride is so worth it. It is an incredible way to see some gorgeous country.

Post some river pics when you get back!
I did the train ride when I was a kid. It was a blast. Wife and I went to Durango once a few years ago (quick trip and didn't have time for the train), but our kids have never been at all. We were torn on the train ride because our 4 year old son can't sit still for 10 seconds, much less 3 1/2 hours each way. Figured we would wait til we got there and then decide.

However, we just got news an hour ago that my daughter is going to have her tonsils taken out next month, which is about $3k after our deductible and insurance. The train ride was going to run about $400 for the cheapest tickets we could find, so I'm sure we'll end up holding off til he's a bit older with these extra bills now showing up now. Unfortunate, but that's life.

Really looking forward to the trip. Thanks MA for the tip on Duranglers - I'll go have a talk with them when we arrive.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12773225 05/29/18 07:04 PM
R
richpeace Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Yes, I have fished Durango and the surrounding rivers on a couple of occasions. As MassAction states above there is a fly shop right in the middle of town called "Duranglers." Great shop. If you can hire a guide through them to fish the Animas I would recommend it. If he's available I would specifically request Mark Engler, but they are all very good guides. Mark is credited with the creation of the WD-40 fly and he knows the waters up there, and the fly's to use better than anyone in the region (in my humble opinion). My two days fishing with him were possibly my best two days of fishing ever and I have fished with upwards of 30 guides. Heck, Yeti even did a short film about him. He's a Pike guy at heart but guides on the rivers. There is also a very healthly population of Pike in Valecito lake outside of Durango.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W71ow-KI2Eg

The Animas is a great fishery but because it's a freestone river and runs right through town so it does get pressure and the fishing can be highly technical.

The San Juan is approximately 1 hour away. I would recommend the drive jst to check it out. One of the most prolific Tailwaters there is.

Duranglers website has techniques and information on all of the surrounding rivers on their website. It's a great resource. There are a lot of small streams in the area like the Los Pinos that are fun as well.

If nothing else I would recommend bringing you fly rod, tying on a small RS2, or WD-40 (like size 22), and when you and the family are out and about, and you see a small stream or river just stop and cast around.

www.duranglers.com

Have fun and let us know how it goes...

Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12773970 05/30/18 02:34 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Another great shop in Durango is San Juan Anglers - excellent selection of flies and Bruce is a cool guy.

I am headed down tomorrow...will fish the Piedra one day and the San Juan the next.

San Juan is well worth the hour drive...pull up into the Texas hole. Note if you do go to the San Juan - go to the fly shop to get some pointers - Abe's is one and there is another across the street...get ready to tie on a #24 midge! Smaller is better but the fishing is off the hook down there when it is right.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: krawlin 47] #12778021 06/02/18 10:20 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: krawlin 47
Another great shop in Durango is San Juan Anglers - excellent selection of flies and Bruce is a cool guy.

I am headed down tomorrow...will fish the Piedra one day and the San Juan the next.

San Juan is well worth the hour drive...pull up into the Texas hole. Note if you do go to the San Juan - go to the fly shop to get some pointers - Abe's is one and there is another across the street...get ready to tie on a #24 midge! Smaller is better but the fishing is off the hook down there when it is right.

Do not hesitate to throw streamers on the Juan at first light and at dusk. White maribou seems to do well up there. Sometimes you have to think outside the box there too. Ginger variant leeches to a midge dropper will take fish too. Lots of moss eaters up there. Tie 3X to that leech as the hits will snap 4x in a nanosecond. They love the twitch on that rig too.

If you head to the Animas, south of town is the purple cliffs. Great pocket water down there. BH Prince Nymphs and Pheasant tails to smaller mayfly and midge patterns will work there. Make sure to lead it up and get your flies down. There is some cool water up at Hermosa Creek for 2 and 3 weight dry fly fun to brookies and cutties.

Have fun.

4W

Last edited by 4Weight; 06/02/18 10:26 PM.

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12782386 06/06/18 02:41 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Durango silverton is shut down until at least June 10 and they will start back with (gasp) a diesel engine...
Extreme drought and fire danger as a fire was burning in the Durango area last week. Hermosa is a great creek

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: kodys'papa] #12782884 06/06/18 08:20 PM
D
dbltea Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
The entire Hermosa Creek drainage is currently closed due to the 416 fire. Even if it wasn't closed for the fire it would be approaching the point of no fishing due to low water and warm water temps.

Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12788987 06/12/18 01:11 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Patriot - did you get to fish at all or did the heat, fire, smoke, and low water keep you off?

Re: Any of you guys fish Durango [Re: patriot07] #12803558 06/24/18 01:54 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Hermosa creek is black with ash drainage...my wife and I were up and headed to Silverton (following the train) and ended up pulling over to help people get out of their houses...insane how fast that fire spread. When we pulled over to help the fire was less than 50 acres...pretty sure it is at 37,000 acres or more now.

That said, the Animas, Hermosa Creek and any waters north and east of Durango will be in trouble for a while I would think. Piedra, Pine, San Juan and other smaller creeks on the East of Missionary Ridge should be fine.

Headed up in a week and will give a little report. Place is so dry and needs water so bad it is not funny. Glad to hear they opened the San Juan National Forest again...but if we don't get rain they will close it again no doubt.

Last edited by krawlin 47; 06/24/18 01:55 PM.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide