Print Thread
Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? #12778144 06/03/18 12:52 AM
J
Jezreel Online Content OP
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
J
So I just installed my new Helix 9 Mega SI G2N, and been out on the lake once. I would like to maximize my maps. I have googled and read numerous threads on Lakemaster vs. Navionics. Here is what I gleaned.

1. Depending on the lake, one may be better than the other.
2. Navionics has a great website and App.
3. It appears either chip will work in the HB Helix 9.
4. If the LM has HD for your lake that is the chip ya want, but if not Navionics is better.

So. . . I mainly fish Ray Hubbard and Cedar Creek. I need to make a decision on which to get. I have no idea. Any insight, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #12778513 06/03/18 02:19 PM
CTaylorJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I love my Navionics. Sadly, when I went from the 898 to the Helix 7, my files didnt transfer. Probably lack of knowledge on my part, but....

The Navionics has worked really well for me on Hubbard , and thats the only lake I fish, and its also pretty user friendly. Also, like you said, the web site and the app help a lot too, like when youre bored in a conf call you can pull them up and wish you were fishing.

Charlie

The horsepower of one's outboard, should never exceed one's IQ.

Therefore, I'm the proud owner of a 60HP Merc!
Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #12778632 06/03/18 05:04 PM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I have been using Lake Master for the last few years, they just came out with version 4 MidSouth States. All the main lakes in North Texas are pretty much there and with great detail. I have version 3 but soon hope to get version 4. What is great about Lake master, is you can do so much with it. Examples would be if the lake you are on is down you can set the offset and it will be the right depth for that day on the lake, also if you just want to fish 10 to 20 feet depth that can be set and the areas will be highlighted so they are easy to find on the lake you are on. I really like Lake Master. Hope this helps.

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #12778674 06/03/18 06:00 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: BrazosRiverTom
I have been using Lake Master for the last few years, they just came out with version 4 MidSouth States. All the main lakes in North Texas are pretty much there and with great detail. I have version 3 but soon hope to get version 4. What is great about Lake master, is you can do so much with it. Examples would be if the lake you are on is down you can set the offset and it will be the right depth for that day on the lake, also if you just want to fish 10 to 20 feet depth that can be set and the areas will be highlighted so they are easy to find on the lake you are on. I really like Lake Master. Hope this helps.

Lakemaster is my favorite for the reasons above, I have mine set with 4 different shades for depth. it also has roadbeds and creeks very well marked and they are spot on. And I think they are less expensive. hooked

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #12778697 06/03/18 06:25 PM
C
Coachzee Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I have he same unit as u and fish those lakes a lot. Very much so like the lakemaster. I bought the 10 dollar navionics app for the phone so if I want to compare both while I am on the water I can do so. I now have both pretty much for the price of one due to the navionics on the phone. Thats the way Id tell ya to go. Best 10$ u will ever spend in the App Store.

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #12778716 06/03/18 06:48 PM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I like the LakeMaster as well. I use the Depth offset and highlighting specific depths a lot. The one feature Navionics has that I wish LM would incorporate is Navionics shows the boat houses, marinas, road beds, timber etc. LakeMaster does not.

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #12779006 06/04/18 01:01 AM
J
Jezreel Online Content OP
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
J
Thanks Guys. . . Ive read great stuff about both, but think Im going to to with Lakemaster. With the ability to get the Navionics on my phone, Ill go with the LM and have the features yall talked about.

Thanks for the replies. They helped a lot.

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: CTaylorJr] #12780510 06/05/18 03:17 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Originally Posted By: CTaylorJr
I love my Navionics. Sadly, when I went from the 898 to the Helix 7, my files didnt transfer. Probably lack of knowledge on my part, but....

The Navionics has worked really well for me on Hubbard , and thats the only lake I fish, and its also pretty user friendly. Also, like you said, the web site and the app help a lot too, like when youre bored in a conf call you can pull them up and wish you were fishing.

If you're talking about your waypoints, have the latest version of HB for PC installed on your computer. Load the waypoint file to a card, then upload to your PC. Remove all routes or tracks. Load the file back to the card. The file should then upload to the new HB unit.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: CTaylorJr] #12780899 06/05/18 02:48 PM
Corey Stanley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

As far as your files not transferring, that has nothing to do with your mapping card. The card is read only and all of your waypoints, trails etc were saved to the hard drive of your 898. As mentioned above, if you still have the 898, power it up and go in and save all of your data to a blank sd card and load them on your new Helix 7. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #12780907 06/05/18 02:54 PM
Corey Stanley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Jezreel
So I just installed my new Helix 9 Mega SI G2N, and been out on the lake once. I would like to maximize my maps. I have googled and read numerous threads on Lakemaster vs. Navionics. Here is what I gleaned.

1. Depending on the lake, one may be better than the other.
2. Navionics has a great website and App.
3. It appears either chip will work in the HB Helix 9.
4. If the LM has HD for your lake that is the chip ya want, but if not Navionics is better.

So. . . I mainly fish Ray Hubbard and Cedar Creek. I need to make a decision on which to get. I have no idea. Any insight, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Both mapping cards are great tools and each have their strengths. If I were you I would check out the available data from each card for the lakes or areas you fish and go with whatever one seems to have the best data to help you. As long as great contours are available from each, you cant make a wrong decision. As you stated above you have looked at the Navionics webapp, so it sounds like you are familiar with what is offered from Navionics, if it is detailed info I for your areas I would recommend checking out the Nav+ regions card for that unit. It has the same Nautical data (1' contours and sonar chart layer) as the Platinum but will save you $50, it only lacks the overlay and 3d capabilities.

Last edited by Corey Stanley; 06/05/18 02:55 PM.
Re: Chip for Helix 9 Mega SI G2N? ? ? [Re: Corey Stanley] #12781181 06/05/18 05:50 PM
CTaylorJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley

As far as your files not transferring, that has nothing to do with your mapping card. The card is read only and all of your waypoints, trails etc were saved to the hard drive of your 898. As mentioned above, if you still have the 898, power it up and go in and save all of your data to a blank sd card and load them on your new Helix 7. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

It's a bad day then... The magic smoke left the 898... It's not going to power on again. frown

Charlie

The horsepower of one's outboard, should never exceed one's IQ.

Therefore, I'm the proud owner of a 60HP Merc!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide