Print Thread
Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra #12773440 05/29/18 10:29 PM
C
chas1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
I just recently purchased a new Ulterra with Auto-Deploy. It was mounted with a slide plate on it, so I can push it back when I load the boat (so as not to damage the trolling motor).

I saw a video of a gentleman who had mounted his trolling motor about 1 & 1/2' to the right side of the boat, not directly on the nose, like mine was installed. By doing this, you wouldn't have to slide the trolling motor back to avoid damage.

Have any of you had your trolling motor mounted offset, rather the front & center of the boat?

[Linked Image]
Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra [Re: chas1] #12773765 05/30/18 05:40 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I have never had a terrova or ulterra that had an issue on a boat loading or unloading from the trailer. There might be some that actually do have an issue but I think the makers of these mounts have put more of a scare out that you really need it to sell them than an actual need by the boater. I lined mine up with the angle of the bow and concentrated more on ensuring the head was inside the gunwale when stowed. In the deployed position the shaft actually comes down a little to the right and about 1- 1 1/2" behind the nose of the boat. It will not effect the handling of the boat either in trolling or spotlock.

You can usually make adjustments to the front support and roller, possibly even replacing the roller with a smaller diameter one if you need. You can also adjust how deep you put the trailer in the water to see if that helps you.

MK advises to not use the sliding plates on the Ulterra because of the auto deploy and forgetting to slide the mount. I won't use one because 1. There is no need for one and 2. I am afraid of forgetting to slide it forward and after floating the boat off the trailer, I don't want to watch it float away.

Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra [Re: Bobby Milam] #12773800 05/30/18 10:52 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I have never had a terrova or ulterra that had an issue on a boat loading or unloading from the trailer. There might be some that actually do have an issue but I think the makers of these mounts have put more of a scare out that you really need it to sell them than an actual need by the boater. I lined mine up with the angle of the bow and concentrated more on ensuring the head was inside the gunwale when stowed. In the deployed position the shaft actually comes down a little to the right and about 1- 1 1/2" behind the nose of the boat. It will not effect the handling of the boat either in trolling or spotlock.

You can usually make adjustments to the front support and roller, possibly even replacing the roller with a smaller diameter one if you need. You can also adjust how deep you put the trailer in the water to see if that helps you.

MK advises to not use the sliding plates on the Ulterra because of the auto deploy and forgetting to slide the mount. I won't use one because 1. There is no need for one and 2. I am afraid of forgetting to slide it forward and after floating the boat off the trailer, I don't want to watch it float away.

I used to think the same thing with my X5i until I loaded my boat at a steep ramp one day. I bought a quick release mount after that.

Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra [Re: chas1] #12773920 05/30/18 01:52 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: chas1
I just recently purchased a new Ulterra with Auto-Deploy. It was mounted with a slide plate on it, so I can push it back when I load the boat (so as not to damage the trolling motor).

I saw a video of a gentleman who had mounted his trolling motor about 1 & 1/2' to the right side of the boat, not directly on the nose, like mine was installed. By doing this, you wouldn't have to slide the trolling motor back to avoid damage.

Have any of you had your trolling motor mounted offset, rather the front & center of the boat?

look up a guy on here called "Blue Nitro"... He make the "Lift saver"...its a trolling motor mount for this problem.

Last edited by TroyKing; 05/30/18 01:53 PM.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra [Re: TroyKing] #12776763 06/01/18 05:48 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TroyKing
Originally Posted by chas1

look up a guy on here called "Blue Nitro"... He make the "Lift saver"...its a trolling motor mount for this problem.

Thanks Troy for the Shout-Out. Sounds like he may be wanting to do something else but here is a YouTube video of the LiftSaver if he or anyones else is interested.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide