Page 1 of 2 1 2
no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. #12771215 05/27/18 04:27 PM
L
leanin post Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
squirrel hair is unlike any other type of hair in existance, and no 2 squirrels have the same exact hair.
I learned a heck of alot abt squirrel hair while partaking in a different hobby, making pinstriping brushes ans doing pinstripe art, like you see on old hot rods.
most of the hair used for pinstripe brushes come from russian cold region squirrels. most north american squirrels are either gray or red squirrels. the grays tend to have very firm , and pointed tail hair/ very stiff. . reds tend to have softer, limper hair that twists , which isnt great for making brushes or jigs, . most commercial lure makers use gray squirrel hair. due to easily being obtained. mepps especially.
Russian squirrel hair has excellent snap, point, and is darker in color, and is excellent for tying jigs, it has action under water, and displaces water when it moves. The russian tails are magnificent, but rare. I had a source in russia for a short time, but it played out.The tails that I was able to get, came from a specific region. Once in a blue moon a guy out of florida came up with a few, but only 2 or 3. very scarcely some of the russian squirrels will be albinos, and have a fiery reddish tail, but have the same pointing and snap, and softness, which is very unique. I have only 10 of these very nice tails in my stash ,that I got over a 6 year period. and would consider trading one for some 1/8th oz unpainted jig heads with number 2 hooks. I can post pics of these magnificent tails for anyone interested.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771220 05/27/18 04:35 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
popcorn2 Sorry, but I can't stop laughing. Good luck with your quest.

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: JIM SR.] #12771270 05/27/18 06:10 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

what is so funny, can you even say you have seen a russian blue squirrel, or its tail?
much less hold one.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/27/18 06:15 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: JIM SR.] #12771281 05/27/18 06:18 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

the 7 folks who have already pm me with offers dont seem to find my quest so unusual. I guess u are easily amused. most simpletons are. roflmao

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771371 05/27/18 07:46 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Pics please

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771415 05/27/18 08:28 PM
Z
zig-zag Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
leanin post you just a notch are 3 off center!!!! loco i mean.

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771483 05/27/18 09:40 PM
TurboDan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'm interested. PM sent if not too late. smile

Last edited by gazn357; 05/27/18 09:41 PM.

- dan "formally known as gazn357"

[Linked Image]
"Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be." - Grandma Moses
Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771508 05/27/18 10:13 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. My humor was that you went into such a very detailed description of the rarity of these squirrel tails, only to ask for a very common jig head in return..

I apologize if I said something to
upset you.. jim fish

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771713 05/28/18 02:22 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
pics coming soon, this is a rare chance to get this type of hair.
we arent getting along so great with the russians lately if ya havent noticed, ha
I will do a side by side comparison of the gray and russian blue.
once you tie a few jigs with this hair and see the difference, you will really like it.
hopefully whoever I decide to trade with will give an honest review of the hair.
This has been kind of a secret weapon of mine for a while now, and I decided to share, thats all. I catch my share of crappie, and always try to get better. if you dont love the hair, I will take it back.
If you were to look at the hair under a microscope, it has tiny secondary hairs on the strands, that give it the livelyness. Im not trying to sound like a used car salesman here, but theres just nothing else like it on the planet. natural or artificial.

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771767 05/28/18 03:10 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
heres some pics of the russian blue tails. This is natural color, NOT dyed. the red one is the albino, ive only seen a few of them, the bluish black ones are for trade. the red one is not for sale or trade.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/28/18 03:31 AM.

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771776 05/28/18 03:16 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
just look at the luster.! It hardly looks like a squirrel tail, but it certainly is. you will never feel anything as soft as these in your life. just unique. I think the climate that these animals live has alot to do with the hair structure. I recall watching a show about an expedition to the arctic, and the only type of fur that wouldnt freeze moisture to it, was from a badger, so the men in the expedition had a badger fur fringe sewed around the edge of the hood on thier parkas. when snow gathered onto the fringe, they just batted the fringe with thier gloves, and the snow fell right off.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/28/18 03:24 AM.

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12771784 05/28/18 03:22 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
when you tie from the hair, you dont need to try and orient the hair, it is slightly denser at the base, then as it goes to the end it just points like a dagger naturally, . you just grab the amount you want to use to tie real close to the bone, cut it and go directly to the jig and start wrapping your thread. it behaves very well. the longer hairs are near the end of the tail, but you can cut and tie off of any part of it.

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: zig-zag] #12771789 05/28/18 03:28 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: zig-zag
leanin post you just a notch are 3 off center!!!! loco i mean.

everybody thought Tesla was crazy too.. roflmao

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12772082 05/28/18 04:06 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
These tails are so dark, don't think I have ever seen any like that. Nice to know!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Re: no 2 squirrels are exactly alike. [Re: leanin post] #12774604 05/30/18 10:51 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: leanin post
pics coming soon, this is a rare chance to get this type of hair.
we arent getting along so great with the russians lately if ya havent noticed, ha
I will do a side by side comparison of the gray and russian blue.
once you tie a few jigs with this hair and see the difference, you will really like it.
hopefully whoever I decide to trade with will give an honest review of the hair.
This has been kind of a secret weapon of mine for a while now, and I decided to share, thats all. I catch my share of crappie, and always try to get better. if you dont love the hair, I will take it back.
If you were to look at the hair under a microscope, it has tiny secondary hairs on the strands, that give it the livelyness. Im not trying to sound like a used car salesman here, but theres just nothing else like it on the planet. natural or artificial.

WELL, instead of calling you leaning post, maybe we aught to amend that tradin post! I love that anyone outside a fur trader knows the differences in such depth of different types of squirrel tail, not to mention other types of fur. I love it! I believe the Alaskan and Canadian squirrel tails rival some of the stuff the Russians produce. But there is no doubt hair on the cold climate animals are much better, thicker, and denser than the stuff you can find in the lower 48...great post! Say, you never mentioned what you are looking for in trade, as I may be very interested. They make great Jigs, I used to have a guy tie me some up when I fly fished years ago...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide