Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12774250 05/30/18 05:54 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Yep. I was fishing inside the no wake zone at lake park yesterday and had a guy pick up his wife from the dock and take off full blast blaring country music no more than 50 ft from me. I’ve also seen people pulling kids on tubes right between Pier 121 and the shoreline. I’ve learned to just take my phone out and start recording where they can see me.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat wakes [Re: ssmith] #12774292 05/30/18 06:27 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: ssmith
folks get on here an say that you are responsible for your wake but has anybody heard first hand that someone was charged for it.

One of the worst I've ever been waked was by the coast guard boat on Texoma. Waves came a good two foot over the top of my boat.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Boat wakes [Re: 9094] #12774369 05/30/18 07:24 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 9094
Originally Posted By: 04champ
There are much larger boats on most lakes I fish than wakeboard boats. Rollers from the wakeboard boats are really the least of my safety concerns when I'm out on the water, nor are they as destructive to shorelines and docks as waves caused by natural phenomena

You could have an argument for expansion of no wake zones and certainly there should be an increase in enforcement of existing laws, but I'm not buying into legislatively banning people from doing something that is far more annoying than dangerous.

You are wrong about the boat dock damage. Wake boats that come by a floating dock to close have wakes that are very close together that pound a dock relentlessly. They are also bigger than almost any waves made by wind on all but the largest of lakes. If a wake boat or even a worse a surf boat is 50 foot from a dock it wreaks havoc on the dock if that same boat is 500 foot away the waves have time time to settle some and spread apart from one another. Also on most lakes they are the largest boats out there.
The no wake zone or NO wakeboat zones are going to have to be enacted at many lakes. Also a larger zone for keeping away from other boats is going to have to be enacted. I see very few wakeboats that don't go out of their way to get close to other boats and close to shorelines with docks.

We'll have to agree to disagree. A wakeboard boat puts out a small set of 1.5 footers at best. Like I said, that could be an argument for expanding no wake zones but the weekend pleasure boat traffic's contribution to erosion and dock damage is negligible compared to a years worth of weather related waves on most parts of the lake

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12774498 05/30/18 09:00 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
You’ve obviously never been in a surf boat

Re: Boat wakes [Re: 04champ] #12774524 05/30/18 09:14 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
There are much larger boats on most lakes I fish than wakeboard boats. Rollers from the wakeboard boats are really the least of my safety concerns when I'm out on the water, nor are they as destructive to shorelines and docks as waves caused by natural phenomena

You could have an argument for expansion of no wake zones and certainly there should be an increase in enforcement of existing laws, but I'm not buying into legislatively banning people from doing something that is far more annoying than dangerous.

You are wrong about the boat dock damage. Wake boats that come by a floating dock to close have wakes that are very close together that pound a dock relentlessly. They are also bigger than almost any waves made by wind on all but the largest of lakes. If a wake boat or even a worse a surf boat is 50 foot from a dock it wreaks havoc on the dock if that same boat is 500 foot away the waves have time time to settle some and spread apart from one another. Also on most lakes they are the largest boats out there.
The no wake zone or NO wakeboat zones are going to have to be enacted at many lakes. Also a larger zone for keeping away from other boats is going to have to be enacted. I see very few wakeboats that don't go out of their way to get close to other boats and close to shorelines with docks.

We'll have to agree to disagree. A wakeboard boat puts out a small set of 1.5 footers at best. Like I said, that could be an argument for expanding no wake zones but the weekend pleasure boat traffic's contribution to erosion and dock damage is negligible compared to a years worth of weather related waves on most parts of the lake

I doesn’t sound like you own or have owned a dock and personally watched the wakeboat damage. A fixed dock not so much but a floating dock yes. That is why many lake authorities have set up no wake zones 400 foot from docks. Lake Brownwood now has bouts out around 80% of the lake because of them. The smaller the lake the larger the problem.
Plus I’m yet to hear of a bassboat or even a regular old style ski boat wake capsizing a boat and causing deaths. Have you?

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12774541 05/30/18 09:26 PM
R
Razorback Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
R
Aren't some of the manufacturers bragging that they can produce wakes of 48 inches or higher?

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12774556 05/30/18 09:42 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I doubt anywhere in print but I’m sure if you had your check book out they would tell you.

Re: Boat wakes [Re: 9094] #12774633 05/30/18 11:17 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

I doesn’t sound like you own or have owned a dock and personally watched the wakeboat damage. A fixed dock not so much but a floating dock yes. That is why many lake authorities have set up no wake zones 400 foot from docks. Lake Brownwood now has bouts out around 80% of the lake because of them. The smaller the lake the larger the problem.
Plus I’m yet to hear of a bassboat or even a regular old style ski boat wake capsizing a boat and causing deaths. Have you?

Your argument seems to be based primarily upon your experience at Lake Brownwood, which looks to be a pretty unique lake - and it seems you've found your solution

On most lakes people fish in the state/country give me the pleasure boaters over a 20mph wind

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12774679 05/31/18 12:04 AM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
You’ve obviously never fished a weekend on Lewisville

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Bobby Milam] #12774862 05/31/18 02:10 AM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
The only lights you are allowed to display at night are your white anchor light and red\green nav light.

You can run any color you want or none at all when the game wardens won’t work the lake.

When we pulled out at 2 am the Game Warden was at the ramp looking up the lake with binoculars. I informed him of the 2 boats, he said he would watch for them.

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12775027 05/31/18 04:11 AM
wtf242 Offline
Angler
Angler
The worst is when you get out to the lake at 6am to avoid the wake boats, pull up to your first spot, and shortly after sunrise a wake boat starts going up and down the cove right near you blaring music. I've seen it many times on Travis.

Re: Boat wakes [Re: meP2too] #12775737 05/31/18 07:48 PM
R
Razorback Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: meP2too
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
The only lights you are allowed to display at night are your white anchor light and red\green nav light.

You can run any color you want or none at all when the game wardens won’t work the lake.

When we pulled out at 2 am the Game Warden was at the ramp looking up the lake with binoculars. I informed him of the 2 boats, he said he would watch for them.

At the ramp looking through binoculars? If he had gone out on the water he would have found them because they were running all over the lake. The pontoon boat with the blue lights all around it went into a stall at one of the boat docks. I know because we were fishing the dock when they ran into it...literally.

Re: Boat wakes [Re: Razorback] #12775776 05/31/18 08:25 PM
S
sliding by Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I know that there is one less wake boat on Granbury after this past Monday. I saw it go down in 30 feet of water.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide