Don Dickson anyone heard of him? #12764435 05/22/18 02:26 AM
S
stratos1760dv Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMOkkcQIDRcdm-f4al4iCcA

Any of you gentlemen remember this guy, Don Dickson. He came to Dallas multiple times but he once loaded the boat at lake Arlington with a sports writer in the boat who then wrote a big article in one of the papers. One of the videos he tells the story. He is a true buck Perry disciple and actually worked for buck for a few decades. His new videos talk about fact based, simple fishing and very curious to hear everyones opinion. Just curious if anyone ever caught 37 legal largemouth bass in consecutive casts? Apparently it has been done.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12764521 05/22/18 03:34 AM
Do-Nothin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I watched the first one, I like the info so far (only part 1). Waiting to hear something I haven't heard yet, I'm sure its coming! Good find!

[Linked Image]
Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12764536 05/22/18 03:45 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
It's been done at falcon I can assure you

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: Do-Nothin] #12767523 05/24/18 04:39 AM
S
stratos1760dv Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Just curious if all the following is understood common knowledge and used to find fish by successful fishermen? most the time all people/magazines/books/tv/video talk about are lures and what color is best. Cant catch fish if he is not there. Things like there are 17 types of structures, breaklines ie faster change in depth than surrounding area, breaklines and breaks(trees stumps rocks etc) on structure are the pathes and stopping points used by fish to move deep to shallower and back deep, breaklines on the structure in 16 feet or deeper are preferred, fish deep to shallow, map study deep to shallow, all structure must go from deep to shallows and vise versa to have a chance of holding fish, fish in 10ft or less typically scatter, fish make 1 to 2 movements in a typical fishing day ie move shallower, when fishing deep water the presentation has to be on the money or likelihood of getting bit is very low or null, Determining the Contact point on good structure, deepest water in the area, sharpest drop into the deepest water or longest finger into the deepest water are typical contact points on good structure, big fish live in deep water ie spend 95% of time deep and school together, the bigger the fish the tighter they school, prefer 30ft, 35ft or deeper if available & accessible, rarely go shallower than 10ft except maybe to spawn, depth and speed always explains fishing success and failure,

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12767540 05/24/18 06:02 AM
Deja vue Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Im guessing some fisherman like enjoying a cold beer while out on the lake,any lake for that matter and like to return for future trips due to making friendship with others. This is true during droughts when the lake level is extremely low, once in a lifetime to see post spawn that shallow

Last edited by Deja vue; 05/24/18 11:30 AM.

Deja vue
Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12767793 05/24/18 02:00 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I bought his VHS system 20 years ago. It makes perfect sense and much of it are things Mr. Harper mentions. The only problem I have with his system is most lakes I fish have too many trees to troll to locate those "best spots". That's where I think Mr. Harper's suggestions make more sense.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12767853 05/24/18 02:31 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: stratos1760dv-Jeremy
Just curious if all the following is understood common knowledge and used to find fish by successful fishermen? most the time all people/magazines/books/tv/video talk about are lures and what color is best. Cant catch fish if he is not there. Things like there are 17 types of structures, breaklines ie faster change in depth than surrounding area, breaklines and breaks(trees stumps rocks etc) on structure are the pathes and stopping points used by fish to move deep to shallower and back deep, breaklines on the structure in 16 feet or deeper are preferred, fish deep to shallow, map study deep to shallow, all structure must go from deep to shallows and vise versa to have a chance of holding fish, fish in 10ft or less typically scatter, fish make 1 to 2 movements in a typical fishing day ie move shallower, when fishing deep water the presentation has to be on the money or likelihood of getting bit is very low or null, Determining the Contact point on good structure, deepest water in the area, sharpest drop into the deepest water or longest finger into the deepest water are typical contact points on good structure, big fish live in deep water ie spend 95% of time deep and school together, the bigger the fish the tighter they school, prefer 30ft, 35ft or deeper if available & accessible, rarely go shallower than 10ft except maybe to spawn, depth and speed always explains fishing success and failure,

It is not common knowledge or everyone would be doing it to find fish. It takes years of research on lakes to recognize their potential for following the schools of big fish from Deep to Shallow on a daily basis. You must also throw in the seasonal patterns that these fish will follow; not only the weather conditions but also what is happening with their food source during each season. Deep water searching is very difficult even with the new technology today. Every lake is different with how the structure and heavy cover sets up to determine how the fish will relate to it.

This is definitely your starting points to look for in beginning your search. If you can determine the best 20 Irregular Features on your lake and fish those features from Shallow to Deep you will come away with a better understanding of how your fish are relating to the structure and cover by fishing those 20 areas at many different times during the day. You can only expect ONE of those spots to be a super spot; but you will have the knowledge once you find it to continue to break the lake down until you have found the best 3 spots at all levels from Shallow - Mid Range - and Deep.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12767905 05/24/18 03:06 PM
S
stratos1760dv Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thank you for responses. Are buck Perrys contact points and John hopes funnel points the same thing?

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12768270 05/24/18 07:22 PM
F
fishnfireman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
friend of mine bought into his audio tapes years ago.
I still quote one of Don's well used statements.. "the fish will be deep ,shallow or somewhere in between"
Pretty much covers it..

fish

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12769926 05/26/18 12:45 AM
S
stratos1760dv Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thank you for responses. Are buck Perrys contact points and John hopes funnel points the same thing?

Bump

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12769965 05/26/18 01:20 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Bump

Don't thank so. I have not read it all or watched it all. From what I have gathered Mr. Perry fished Oxbow Lakes, slues and tons of back water areas. He worked areas all of the smaller ditches with heavy cover like Cyprus Trees and heavy shoreline brush. Many of the lakes he fish were silted in and it was all about the shade that these covers provided. His Contact Points were these strategic spots where large Cyprus Trees set on protrusions off the shore and out in the middle of the lakes. Although he referenced many spots as close to the main ditches as possible; with heavy cover and shade.

Mr. Hope coned the phrase Funnel Points. His work was specific to the routes that Big Bass take daily and how far they moved from their comfort zone to feed. He worked on the time frame day and night of when this one specific fish would move and how far she would move. He noticed that the points of gouges, deep water bluffs and the surrounding area was their home grounds and would only move as far as necessary to feed up then immediately return to home. Any abrupt drop along that route was a Funnel Point and this was the most likely spot that she would stage and feed from. Your best shot to catch her was when she was staging on the Funnel Point during her feeding period.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: Donald Harper] #12770349 05/26/18 03:25 PM
S
stratos1760dv Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
That sounds like Doug Hannon the bass professor who died young. Buck was 90 something and from NC. He did not like/prefer lakes full of trees and grass or drinking water clear lak s. He could not utilize trolling to cover water quickly in thick cover. Buck fished all water large small salt fresh tidal etc. buck sez you will find structure without fish but dont fish without structure. Said if you can consistently catch bigger bass all other fish will get in the way.
Check http://dondicksonfishing.com To learn more about bucks teaching. After hearing what you say about Hope and from hopess book I think hope used bucks knowledge and proved it to be fact with radio telemetry studies. Looking at your sample maps and bucks sample maps in his hone study course it seems to me they are the same. I think for fsthers day I am going to request a mapping study by you for lake fork. I starting to believe the key to catching giants consistently is fishing funnels/contact points as deep as possible which helps eliminate the likely hood of spooking the fish. For just mapping what is cost? I am assuming fork is popular request. Again thank you for the responses and your time great knowledge and wisdom.

Re: Don Dickson anyone heard of him? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12770368 05/26/18 04:10 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
That sounds like Doug Hannon the bass professor who died young. Buck was 90 something and from NC. He did not like/prefer lakes full of trees and grass or drinking water clear lak s. He could not utilize trolling to cover water quickly in thick cover. Buck fished all water large small salt fresh tidal etc. buck sez you will find structure without fish but dont fish without structure. Said if you can consistently catch bigger bass all other fish will get in the way.
Check http://dondicksonfishing.com To learn more about bucks teaching. After hearing what you say about Hope and from hopess book I think hope used bucks knowledge and proved it to be fact with radio telemetry studies. Looking at your sample maps and bucks sample maps in his hone study course it seems to me they are the same. I think for fsthers day I am going to request a mapping study by you for lake fork. I starting to believe the key to catching giants consistently is fishing funnels/contact points as deep as possible which helps eliminate the likely hood of spooking the fish. For just mapping what is cost? I am assuming fork is popular request. Again thank you for the responses and your time great knowledge and wisdom.

Correct! That's why I stated the lakes I fish in have too many trees to use Mr. Perry's strategy. He used some kind of crazy diving spoon to troll around the points he fished. He would look for the longest, narrowest, deepest, steepest drop off on any point and that is what he called his "contact point". That is where he thought the biggest fish in that area would use to move up to feed at some point during the day/night. Very good sense what he's saying and with modern electronics it should be much easier than Mr. Perry did 50 years ago. Essentially he just had a flasher, would troll around a major point, mark all the irregularities then look for the "contact point."

Last edited by fivebites; 05/26/18 04:13 PM.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide