Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12767174 05/24/18 01:13 AM
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt

Also , there's a road here that has blackberries all over it , can I get some vines and plant them in anyway?

They'll grow but you have to train them onto a trellis /fence to attain a "bush" shape . Otherwise they'll spread all over . Do yourself a favor and buy the thornless varieties . Big berries and you won't need a blood donor after picking them .

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12767181 05/24/18 01:16 AM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Yeah the ones I picked today tore me up , I guess I was wondering if I could gather some of those vines and plant some how , probably not

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12767184 05/24/18 01:19 AM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Derek , now that the heat has turned on , you mention you do a fertilizer root feeding every tword weeks then a foliage spray every two weeks . Does the root fertilizer count as your deep watering? I guess I'm confused on watering vs fertilizer . When to do what blah blah

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12767235 05/24/18 01:49 AM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: Siberman

Also , there's a road here that has blackberries all over it , can I get some vines and plant them in anyway?

They'll grow but you have to train them onto a trellis /fence to attain a "bush" shape . Otherwise they'll spread all over . Do yourself a favor and buy the thornless varieties . Big berries and you won't need a blood donor after picking them .
Yeah the ones I picked today tore me up , I guess I was wondering if I could gather some of those vines and plant some how , probably not

Gotcha. I misread your prior post. I bet what you were picking was Dewberry(very similar to blackberry). It grows wild like crazy here. Very tasty berry. I don't know a lot about it, but it grows more horizontally than vertical here. I don't see it vining and climbing trees at all. You could probably easily dig some up and transplant it. I would put it in the back out of the way part of your property as it seems it can take over an area. If you want something in your garden or in the area I'd do as Siberman suggested and get a thornless and see if there is a good vining variety. That Dewberry is thorny as hell.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12767388 05/24/18 02:53 AM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Derek , now that the heat has turned on , you mention you do a fertilizer root feeding every tword weeks then a foliage spray every two weeks . Does the root fertilizer count as your deep watering? I guess I'm confused on watering vs fertilizer . When to do what blah blah

I'm going to ramble a bit here so some of this might not make sense.

I root water about every 5-7 days. That just my standard deep soil watering. I got a 1" of rain Sunday and haven't watered since. I will probably Saturday morning. I pretty much fertilize every time I water using the EZ Flo. But I don't have an exact formula what I put in it. I just pour in some fish fert, garret juice, Epsom salt, lots of liquid molasses, milk, alfalfa tea if I have some made and just eyeball the amounts I pour into the gallon jug until I think it's good. It's probably about 1/2 cup each if I was to guess. Except the alfalfa tea. I'll use it to fill up the gallon hopper instead of just water. I'll soak the garden down really good. Damn near flood it. I want that water soaking deep into the soil so the roots will go deep in search of the water as the top of the soil dries out between watering.

Then there is the foliar app. I'm more consistent here. I use a gallon pump up sprayer. And I will kinda measure out what goes in it. 1\8-1/4 cup of Epsom, 3-4 tablespoons liquid molasses, 1/4 gallon of milk, cup of Alf tea, etc.. And I'll spray that about every other week or so. Maybe every 3 weeks because I get lazy.

Then there is foliar app 2.0. This is the fungal app. I'm even more consistent here. Added Serenade to the rotation this week. I do weekly fungal apps. Milk, then the next Serenade, then milk, the on the 4th week I use Actinovate.

Then there is foliar app 3.0 IPM (Insect Pest Management) This is not my strong suit. I honestly have very little insect/pest issues. I wonder if it's from not using harsh chemicals and the beneficials thrive and take care of it for me. But that's a discussion for another day. I did find a lot of squash bug eggs on my squash today. At least 5 leaves had 20+. Crushed them all so I got phase one of them done. Going to check every day now. Looking into Neem and Spinosad combo.

I used to combine my sprays, but now I do them on separate days. It's more of a PITA but I think it works better.

Sat. Fert
Sun. Fung
Mon. IPM

Enough rambling. I'm done.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12767468 05/24/18 03:30 AM
S
Snakeyes711 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
You could dig up the wild blackberry plants and transplant to your yard but I would wait until the dead of winter to do it. Otherwise the transplant shock would probably be too much and the plant would not survive. Also dig up the primacanes,not the floracanes. Blackberries produce the berries on 2 year old wood(floracanes).After that the vine is basically dead and needs to be cut at the ground and trashed/burnt.But growing alongside them is the primacanes which will have berries next spring.Primacanes will appear light green,floracanes dark brown/black. I've picked and ate wild blackberries in 4 different states.They grow huge in the sandy soil along the Virginia coast!

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12767624 05/24/18 12:19 PM
1WithTXFish Offline
Angler
Angler
I have 8 tomato varieties, the determinate (celebrity and roma) have some fruit but nothing close to ripe. Out of the three types of cherry's I have (sweet100, sweet cherry, and black cherry) only they sweet100s have fruit and once again nothing ready. My other varieties are inter-determinate (Cherokee purple, green zebra,and Marianna's peace)and they are in various stages of bloom but no fruit yet. I think I might not get any from the Marianna's peace due to the fact that it is a beefsteak variety that gets to over a pound in size and I am not sure if the heat will hold off long enough.

I also have what I believe to be dewberries growing under my vitex plants. I originally thought they were blackberries but I tried to train them to a trellis and they did not appreciate the gesture but they have been growing like crazy along the ground. They are heavily armed and sometimes the spines break off in your fingers like a cactus. I have yet to get a fully formed berry but have eaten a few, two or three lobed berries.

My squash, zucchini, and watermelons got a late start and are still growing but the heat shouldn't be as bad with them.

What I am really surprised about are my peppers. Every single plant has fruit except for the habanero, both hot and sweet varieties.

A five spot for a shot and a beer? And you wonder how we wound up here.
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12767850 05/24/18 02:30 PM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thank you guys , good info.

I'm trying to get my feedings down, looks like I need to increase my root feedings . I'm just mixing it in a bucket for now so I don't get it on the leaves, this sucks. I need that ez flo system .

My foliage spray I mix in a tank that screws to the hose.

I sprayed bt for the first time the other day because somethings eating my leaves. IL try doing that once a week.
My squash has flowers but no fruit , I tried to pollinate the female flower , I ended up breaking them off. That sucked.

Cucumbers growing well, no fruit
Planted mammoth sunflowers the other day
Planted okra again , nothing up yet
Planted purple hull peas, nothing up yet

Fighting grass in the garden big time, next year I will use fabric .

Looking in the future to do some fall planting

Last edited by Brad Hardt; 05/24/18 02:42 PM.

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12768640 05/25/18 12:11 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
how do you know when a cucumber is ready?
i picked my 1st one yesterday
taste good, but it was a little soft
i think in the past, i let them get too big

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: B-rader] #12768708 05/25/18 01:18 AM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
I sprayed bt for the first time the other day because somethings eating my leaves. IL try doing that once a week.
My squash has flowers but no fruit , I tried to pollinate the female flower , I ended up breaking them off. That sucked.

Make sure and spray the Bt at dusk(if you didn't). Cat's feed at night and sunlight breaks down Bt very quickly.

What manual pollination method did you use on your squash? I use a q-tip and do it right at sunup when all the flowers are open. I've only had to self pollinate once this year. It was right when they started blooming and I wasn't getting much bee activity since it was only a couple blooms. Now I have a ton of blooms and the bees are hammering down on them at first light and will work them for about an hour or two. Check at first light and see if you have bees working. If so then you don't have to worry about the self pollination.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12768799 05/25/18 02:20 AM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Well , I took off a maLe flower and opened it up and rubbed it on the inside of the female , not a,wise choice I learned because I broke off the female ones . I will look for the bees .

Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: butch sanders] #12768856 05/25/18 03:01 AM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

Depends on the variety. But I can't think of a vine picked cuke that was soft when I picked it. They will soften pretty quickly after picking if you refrigerator it. That air is very dry.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12768882 05/25/18 03:21 AM
P
Perchy Perch Offline
Angler
Angler
P

Swallowtail munching away on dill. Cool little things.

-John
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: LoneStarSon] #12768890 05/25/18 03:29 AM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Great pic. Those are huge already! I grow dill just for them. But I haven't seen any so far this year.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: TFF Gardening Thread [Re: Derek 🐝] #12769081 05/25/18 12:32 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

Depends on the variety. But I can't think of a vine picked cuke that was soft when I picked it. They will soften pretty quickly after picking if you refrigerator it. That air is very dry.

thats why it softened
sat on the counter overnight

Page 331 of 452 1 2 329 330 331 332 333 451 452
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide