Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Caddo lake - My first trip. Pics Added! #12763284 05/21/18 06:38 AM
C
crapicat Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
C
Ok, so the lake Murvall GTG was postponed due to high winds, and I had two problems: 1) I had set up a meeting with my daughter (Rachel) and her boyfriend (Travis), and 2) Momma had a shopping trip planned. So, as any resourceful person would do, I started thinking about an alternate fishing location. After looking at my options, and recent TFF comments, I settled on Caddo Lake. Never been there, shallow lake, Big gators, near where I grew up, so what could go wrong, I questioned.

Well, after trying to potlick some information from the locals, specifically, CrappieXpress and TroyKing and a couple others who shall remain nameless, I called up Johnsons Marina (Fish Camp.). It the oldest fish camp in Texas! woot Actually, TroyKing called and told me to contact them, cause they were holding a cabin open for me. So I called and the girl that answered, Sharolyn, instantly recognized my name (I said Crapicat) and she replied Mr. Freeman. So after we laughed a minute and exchanged pleasantries, she took my CC information and I was setup. Then she got a real serious look on her face and said, you know there is a cold front coming in and the fish just dont bite on this lake during cold fronts, right? Oh well, I replied, I have already been told not to expect to catch any fish the first few times on caddo anyway, so no big deal. Dang it, I thought, just my luck. Then I got busy gathering my fishing equipment and prepping the boat trailer for the trip, and tried to forget her warning.

Sleep came fitfully, for the next few nights, partly due to the anticipation of getting to finally fish Caddo, the only natural lake in the state of Texas, and partly due to the cant catch fish during a cold front on Caddo comment. Rachel and I texted frequently about the upcoming trip, including the fatherly advice to bring warm clothes, due to the looming cold front. Finally, the big Day arrived and it was time to hook up the boat and leave, which I did about three times. Kept forgetting Items, the first time it was my pillow (laugh all you want), then it was my new Waterproof jig boxes, then it was my anchors (again feel free to laugh). Just as I had seriously re-walked throughout the house and the garage to see if I had loaded everything one last time, here comes the delivery truck down the driveway, so I backed out of his way. He said, going fishing? Since he is a friendly guy, I quashed my smart arse, Bill Engvall impersonation, and said Yes, just heading out. Got a package for you today, probably fishing stuff (its always fishing stuff if my name is on the box) and he knows it. Oh yea, my Super Secret Crappie Jigs, I exhorted! Well get that box open and lets see he quipped. Sure enough, I opened the box and started pulling out Jigs. WOW, I like those, got any to spare? Sure, pick some, I got plenty. So he got some, thanked me, and headed off on his next delivery. And I headed towards Uncertain, Texas.

The drive was almost uneventful. I do remember looking down at my fuel gauge upon hearing the dinging of the low fuel warning light/buzzer. Frantically, I start checking the phone for the next filling station (no help there) and as I look up all I see are pine trees and no towns anywhere close. Then the panic slowly turns to dread, as I realize I may not make it to a station in time. Suddenly, about 15 minutes later, in the middle of nowhere, a gas station sign appears! As stop at the pump, I wipe the sweat from my brow, and say a short prayer. My next rememberance, was pulling into the Johnsons Marina, the oldest fish camp in the state of Texas. Accordingly, I heard the dueling banjos music from the movie deliverance playing on the radio. Talk about timing, I thought.

Instantly, I was transformed back into the days when nomadic Indians roamed the lake, as I looked around I noticed Spanish moss was hanging from the trees, and there was a fog on the water, with dark foreboding clouds from the approaching cold front moving like a wave across the sky. Silently, I sat there for a few minutes struck by the awe of the moment, then a voice beckoned...you gonna sit in the truck all day or git out and come on in? Hi, my name is John, Im the dockmaster, he said as he stuck his hand out and looked me over. I must have been quite a sight to him, dressed in cargo shorts, a new fishing shirt, and crocks, without socks. Im Dale, some folks call me Crapicat. Oh, your that guy we have been waiting on to check in, he said, Sharolyn is just inside to get you checked in.

Once I got checked in, I walked back outside on the dock, where the days fishing and cleaning stories were being told, bantered, and generally discussed in a dull roar, by a dozen or so folks. John walked up and said we are about to close, if you need minners, better get them now, cause we dont open till 8am in the morning. Thats ok, I responded, I am a jig fisherman! A jig fisherman, he exclaimed, you aint gonna catch no fish on this lake with Jigs, he replied. Suddenly, everyone was quiet and checking me out from head to toe and back again. Eerily silent, I mused. Well, good luck and that trailer over there is your cabin. After getting my truck unloaded, I popped a top and stood in the doorway. As I stood there, I heard in a very loud voice, a JIG FISHERMAN he said, can you believe that? Then another voice said, he must be a YANKEE, did you see the way he was dressed? NOPE, he grew up around here, I heard Sharolyn say after she checked him in. Well, hell get skunked for sure, if he does t get any minners, thats for shore! Evidently, I made quite an impression, I muse. Hmm, I better get something to eat.

The next morning I woke to the sounds of trucks/boats lined up, with people talking, hollering instructions, etc., as they are trying to launch. Well about time to get the coffee going, I see. About 9am, I strolled over to the marina, to visit. Change your mind and decide to buy some minnows, Sharolyn said with a smile, as she was freshening my coffee. Nah, just thought I would check the store out, look at the old photos and such. Most of them got ruined in the flood a few years back she responded. After she told me some stories behind the pictures, John came in and asked if I wanted some breakfast with yard eggs. Heck yes, came my immediate reply.

Soon thereafter, the owner Billy Carter came in, got up to speed on the happenings of the day, and looked my way. You that jig fishing fella, he asked. Yep, may have to buy some minnows later on, as I hear you cant catch fish on Caddo, without minnows, I responded. Just then a bearded man, slight build walked in the door and ordered a pound of minnows, grabbed some weights off the wall, paid and started out the door. This here is a guide that lives down the way, said Billy Carter. The guide nodded and looked at me, so you must be that jig fisherman, I been hearing about. I just smiled and nodded. Obviously, by this time, doubt was creeping into my mind. Billy, I tell you what, you give me a hole to start and if I cant catch a fish with my Jigs, I will come back in here and buy some minnows, I said in my best official pot-licking voice, as I walked over to the wall and grabbed some weights. Billy, the businessman, Carter, pointed across the way...see that pole? Go tie off on it, if you aint caught anything in 30 minutes, I expect to see you back in here. Done!

Just then, I got the dreaded response that Rachel and Travis would be delayed until dinner. So, I started loading up my boat, and preparing to launch, when John asked you need me to launch you? Sure, thanks, I replied. Dont forget, there is no minimum size limit on crappie, and I will clean up to a limit for $10. Good deal, I thought, I wouldnt even pull out my electric knife for ten bucks. Upon launch, i headed straight to the pole and tied up. My first drop was a 1/16 plastic jig that never got past a foot deep before it was behind the boat. Second drop was a 1/8 That didnt do much better. Third drop was a 1/4 That never made it to the bottom. Fourth drop was a 3/4 bell with two 1/32 super secret crappie Jigs and bam a double! Next drop yielded a keeper crappie. Several fish later, I untied and started searching for fish while I held a couple fish up trolling by the docks. And it was on...a few hours later, I heard my daughter yelling my name at the marina, so I fired up the motor and headed back to the marina. She and Travis had met everyone on the docks and were busy yakking it up. Do any good she asked? Yep, think I got a dozen keepers, I replied. You gonna clean fish or visit, John asked. I am gonna visit, if you have time to clean them, I responded. You got 13 fish, John shouted loud enough for everyone in Uncertain, Texas to hear. Why didnt you keep the little ones, he asked, just as loud, I clean them too. And I want to see them Jigs you used, too. Upon producing one, he said why that thing isnt as big as a firefly! Seriously, what Jigs did you use, he asked as he turned to go clean fish. I just smiled and didnt answer.

The next morning, I just couldnt rouse the kids much before noon, as we visited well into the wee hours of the morning, the night before. So after we visited for a while, had brunch, I was dutifully informed Travis needed to get back to College Station, obstensively, to study. After seeing them off, it was time to fish again, with much better results, as I was using two poles instead of just one, and because I had dialed in the color selection of the super secret crappie Jigs, the day before. On day three, I went out for an hour to sightsee a bit, saw a spot and caught a few nice crappie. After John pulled the truck from the water, and took a picture for posterity, he asked if he could have a couple of the Jigs I was using, in case he wanted to give it a try. I handed him the case and told him to help himself...he looked at my pole, and got one of each color. He then looked up, and in a serious voice, said, I got to hand it to you, you said you were a jig fisherman and you really are! I just smiled and said thank you John, I appreciate the kind words. Good thing the weather was bad, or I would have never made the trip, I mused.

Last edited by crapicat; 05/21/18 02:40 PM.
Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763432 05/21/18 01:17 PM
A
Abbott (MCM Tackle) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Very nice write up crapicat.

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763458 05/21/18 01:32 PM
P
pop r Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
thumb Nice read. Good job.

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763460 05/21/18 01:33 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I grew up at that camp. Good folks.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763477 05/21/18 01:46 PM
H
Harleyrockstar Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Great story. I enjoyed reading!

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763483 05/21/18 01:48 PM
B
Buddy E Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
best lake in Texas and a nice marina, and the fishing is not bad either

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763523 05/21/18 02:14 PM
T
Timberking Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Caddo is neat and so are the people. I lived past Shadey Glade for 15 years and kinda sad my lake days are over. Pretty tame crowd from 20 years ago. If you ever went to the Rocket Club in the 80's you know.

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763542 05/21/18 02:31 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Here you go...

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763548 05/21/18 02:36 PM
S
shady_grady Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
wonderful recount.thanks for sharing your story.

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763646 05/21/18 03:54 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Enjoyed the read and pics. thumb

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12763979 05/21/18 07:51 PM
R
redace1 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Really enjoyed reading. Thanks

Last edited by redace1; 05/21/18 07:52 PM.

Momma always said......
Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: Buddy E] #12763998 05/21/18 08:04 PM
C
crapicat Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Buddy E
best lake in Texas and a nice marina, and the fishing is not bad either

I fell in love with that lake from the instant I pulled into the marina! I got an invite from porkchop and caddoman to stay at their place and fish with them the following weekend, and did so...that is another story, I intend to write about, as well. Also, That is when I met CrappieXpress, and got to follow him around the lake some. He and Caddoman, know that lake like the back of their hand, and they share some great stories about Caddo. I am a better person and fisherman for getting to meet and fish with them, and hopefully, I was able to share my enthusiasm for that lake with them. I look forward to fishing it more often after my first two experiences, were so positive...

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: redace1] #12763999 05/21/18 08:06 PM
R
RB1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
It will only be fair if we see pics of the super secret jigs. wink

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: crapicat] #12764000 05/21/18 08:06 PM
C
Cowboytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Wow, great write up crapicat! I thoroughly enjoyed that. Way to show them how its done wink

Re: Caddo lake - My first trip. [Re: RB1] #12764042 05/21/18 08:37 PM
C
crapicat Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: RB1
It will only be fair if we see pics of the super secret jigs. wink

Welcome to the forum! welcome

Sadly, it seems, that I learned just this morning that they are no longer super secret...The Jigs were a collaborative effort between several TFF persons, myself included in order to create a super jig in a few select situations. Turns out there are more applications where these Jigs are successful than I imagined. Abbott tied the Jigs with some jigheads and instruction supplied by Redgun...all I had was a desire to fish a specific design hair jig, with specific components, in very specific instances. Abbott tied some up for his buddies Illinois, up around Mend Lake (I have no clue where that is located). Just this morning,Abbott informed me his buddies got a 3rd place finish in a tourney up that way, and are wanting some more of the Jigs. I figure me just relaying the story will force him to post some pics of the Jigs in question, despite the fact, they are still in the development phase...I can tell you, from my own limited testing, if you can get one of the Jigs in front of a crappie, they are very likely to bite it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide