Print Thread
Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints #12761265 05/19/18 04:25 AM
S
sticknstring Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I went out for the first time today since hooking up a Lawrence hds 9 gen3, I was very impressed with the sonar and imaging capabilities...except for one major issue. There seems to be quite a bit of lag in the boat cursor while navigating to a waypoint. My old elite wasn't like this! Anyone have any advice how I can get the lag out while navigating to waypoints?

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12761656 05/19/18 05:54 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I presume the unit is new and not networked based on your post.

If you have a mapping card, I would change the unit to use the 'Lowrance' internal map to see if that works ok. If it does, then there is an issue between the unit keeping up with the mapping card. I know when I use a mapping card, the unit doesn't zoom in/out as fast but I haven't noticed any degradation in the cursor keeping up like you are experiencing. I would confirm Heading Up is the selected orientation - see #4 below.

I would first try a SOFT reset to see if this clears the issue. A soft reset will retain wpts/routes/trails. Anytime I do a soft or hard reset, I save my settings. For instance, I do not like to hear the beeps. After resetting the unit, I then load the saved settings. All my settings are then restored to what they were prior to the reset, hard or soft. Refer to the manual or Lowrance website for reset steps.

1. Confirm you have the latest software. Pages/Settings/About. Latest is Release Date: 16 May 2018; Version: 18.1 / 59.1.86
If not current, go to Lowrance Update and follow instructions. This can also be accomplished using wifi on your unit.
2. Pages/Settings/Network/Data Sources/GPS Make sure the proper device is checked. If the 'All Data' is Global, I suggest changing to Local by touching the far right arrow and selecting Local.
3. Pages/Settings/Satellites - out on the water you should receive 10 or more satellite connections on a nice day. I get 10 active satellites just sitting in the upstairs office with the unit hooked to a portable battery.
4. Pages/Chart icon/Chart Options/Orientation - make it Heading Up. If you do not understand differences between Heading Up/North Up/or Course Up refer to documentation.
a. If you have a used unit without documentation, go to the Lowrance site to download to the computer. This PDF file and also be loaded to your unit so when on the water, easy access to the manual will be available to you. Extra tip: Pictures can be also be stored in the unit. As I recall, only .png and .jpeg files are valid. Use your imagination as to how this can be helpful.
5. Call Lowrance Customer Service. They get bashed on TFF a lot but I've have always had good experiences with them. If the queue is long, they will tell you your number in line, leave your phone number. They do call back. If you don't answer because you don't recognize the number, you'll have to start the call again.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions to try. Hope this helps.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12761790 05/19/18 08:53 PM
S
sticknstring Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks UJC, a lot of good info here! It's a new unit, I can't imagine anything is wrong with it. I figured I either missed something in settings/ software or I needed to add an antenna(spot 1). I'd rather not have to buy the antenna.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12762707 05/20/18 08:02 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I have the antenna (Point-1), mainly for the heading and to make the Gen 2 at the console equal to the updating on the Gen 3 at the bow. But you really don't need it, unless you want the heading, which I think is great. But I really got it back when I had Gen 1s to allow the units to be updated (mapping) faster. Heading didn't work for G1s, just G2s and newer units.

FYI, #1 of my post update: The wifi update did not work for my unit. I would think this is true for all units but it may have been just mine. I had to update via the micro card as instructed.

Last edited by UJC; 05/20/18 08:05 PM.
Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12763413 05/21/18 01:01 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
You have to set the gps update time to auto every 1 second, I think it comes set to update every 5 seconds from the factory.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: grout-scout] #12764185 05/21/18 11:24 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
You have to set the gps update time to auto every 1 second, I think it comes set to update every 5 seconds from the factory.

I thought that was for trail updating preferences. I don't recall a specific menu item for gps map updating speed. GS can you verify? I thought the internal gps timing was fixed for each of the gens. G1 at 1 per sec, G2 at 5 per sec and G3 at 10 per sec. With a Point-1, G1 goes to 5, G2 to 10 and G3 remains at 10 without having to make any menu changes to any of the units.

If there is menu selection, I'd sure like to check mine to make sure it is operating optimally.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12764503 05/22/18 03:14 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Ill have to try to remember to look tomorrow, I keep mine set to update every sec and have no lag time whatsoever. Im sure thinking its a chart update option though.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12765694 05/22/18 11:13 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I have mine set the same.

Here's what I think we (I was) are referring to.

Pages/Settings/Navigation: on the menu to the right 'Logging type' is set to TIME. 'Time period' is set to 1 SEC.

The documentation follows:
Logging type
You can select to record trail points based on time, distance, or by
letting the unit position a point automatically when a course
change is registered.
Specify one of the following logging types in the Navigating
Settings dialog:
Auto - the unit positions a point automatically when a course
change is registered.
Distance - select the Distance field and enter the distance you
want to record.
Time - select the Time field and enter the time you want to
record.

I do not know if this in fact is just for trails or perhaps it is also setting the GPS for updating. The OP can check the unit and if Logging type is set to TIME and Time period is set to 1 SEC, then he has another issue if this is the only menu option with timing choices.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12765772 05/23/18 12:16 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Yes sir, thats what I was referring too. Now I will say that I have a trail being recorded at all times, when I get too many trails on the map, Ill delete them. I cant say that Ive ever run my graphs without having a new trail being displayed.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: sticknstring] #12766190 05/23/18 12:47 PM
S
sticknstring Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I went through most of the things listed in the thread and nothing has changed.
I'm going to have to check the auto update time...I got a good feeling this maybe the culprit for me.

Re: Chartplotter cursor lag going to waypoints [Re: grout-scout] #12766359 05/23/18 02:26 PM
D
Dayne Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Yes sir, thats what I was referring too. Now I will say that I have a trail being recorded at all times, when I get too many trails on the map, Ill delete them. I cant say that Ive ever run my graphs without having a new trail being displayed.

X2 Especially when fishing unfamiliar water. When I decide to double an area, I like to zoom into the trail and keep he boat as near as possible to the way I ran it the first time for consistency.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide