Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fly Fishing the Brazos River #12753242 05/13/18 04:47 AM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
I have fly fished the Brazos River below Whitney dam 3 times. Each time was in the summer when they are producing power in the afternoons and releasing water. Each time I went was fantastic. I caught crappie, white bass, stripers, red ear, bluegill, redbreast, longear, catfish, LMB and drum on each occasion. I didn't have to kayak very far to find them either.

Today was not the same though. They haven't been releasing water, nor have they been producing power so the water level was way down. Ben and I had to work hard to find fish today. We ended up kayaking about 3 miles downstream today. With the exception of one hybrid sunfish and a gar, all we caught were Bluegill and bass. But what we lacked in quantity we more than made up in quality.

Ben focused on catching big bass and he didn't disappoint. He caught two 22 inch and one 24 inch bass. He also caught a longnose gar that was about 4 feet long.

I focused on catching bluegill. I only caught 7 bluegill but they were all 3/4 lb. or bigger. I also caught 7 bass and a hybrid sunfish. All my fish were caught on a yellow Llano bug and a rubber legged dragon again.

The biggest bluegill I caught was 9.75 inches / 0.90 lbs. I registered it for a Brazos River water body record.

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753254 05/13/18 05:19 AM
C
Catyakker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Congratulations J-Moe, 9.75 inches / 0.90 lbs, WOW. That is one BIG Chunk right there. soldier

Retired AF Security Police Chief
TPWD ELITE ANGLER
Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753289 05/13/18 10:12 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
That fish is a "CHUNK"! thumb Great post and another CONGRATULATIONS on yet another RECORD FISH! bow_down You are on a roll Jamie. Good job! rockon

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753342 05/13/18 12:30 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
bow_down "OUTSTANDING" bow_down That is a super nice Bluegill! As already stated. "You are on a roll"! hooked

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753344 05/13/18 12:34 PM
H
Hunter498 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Congrats!!

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753480 05/13/18 02:56 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Great fishing J-Moe! You have covered a lot of area! Congratulations on your Record Bluegill!

Side Note: Do you get different results on the flies you use on the different water bodies you fish?

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753519 05/13/18 03:38 PM
W
Wildman of the navidad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
flehan flehan

Psalm:91

Quote on the wildman" They Said he'd eat the hair off of a man's head when he was hungry
and squeeze the water out of rocks when he was thirsty"
Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753523 05/13/18 03:45 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Thanks everyone for the nice words. I appreciate it. I expect the bluegill and sunfish fishing to be outstanding on this next full moon. I can't wait.

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: Gitter Done] #12753534 05/13/18 04:10 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Great fishing J-Moe! You have covered a lot of area! Congratulations on your Record Bluegill!

Side Note: Do you get different results on the flies you use on the different water bodies you fish?

For the most part I have found that yellow top water poppers have worked everywhere. I used to use yellow Betts Fancy poppers and they always outperformed other colors. I tie the Llano bug with yellow foam, florescent yellow chenille and yellow with sparkle silver silly legs. It has worked incredibly well at Buescher, Bastrop and the Brazos River the last couple weeks.

As far as the rubber legged dragon. It has replaced my Briminators as my favorite pattern. It has been incredible. A guy named Alan Prater sent some to Hook-Line&Sinker for him and I to try out. Both of us agreed immediately it was the best sunfish pattern we had ever used. There seems to be something special about the combination of the orange bead chain eyes with Chartreuse/black silly legs on a black body and tail. I have caught record hybrid sunfish, Rios, and Red Ear on it. I gave a couple to my friend Alan Hunter and he caught 100 sunfish on them in one day. He immediately tied up more.

These seem to work on every lake, creek or river I fish. Now saying that I have seen certain situations where matching the hatch will outperform these. For instance, last summer Alan and I were fishing a small creek. He had bought some size 12 Rainy's brown hoppers that matched the grasshoppers in the creek exactly. They outperformed every other fly we used.

So to make a short answer very long I would say Yes you can improve your catch rate on different water bodies if you more closely match the hatch.

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12753827 05/13/18 10:42 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: J-Moe

For the most part I have found that yellow top water poppers have worked everywhere. I used to use yellow Betts Fancy poppers and they always outperformed other colors. I tie the Llano bug with yellow foam, florescent yellow chenille and yellow with sparkle silver silly legs. It has worked incredibly well at Buescher, Bastrop and the Brazos River the last couple weeks.

As far as the rubber legged dragon. It has replaced my Briminators as my favorite pattern. It has been incredible. A guy named Alan Prater sent some to Hook-Line&Sinker for him and I to try out. Both of us agreed immediately it was the best sunfish pattern we had ever used. There seems to be something special about the combination of the orange bead chain eyes with Chartreuse/black silly legs on a black body and tail. I have caught record hybrid sunfish, Rios, and Red Ear on it. I gave a couple to my friend Alan Hunter and he caught 100 sunfish on them in one day. He immediately tied up more.

These seem to work on every lake, creek or river I fish. Now saying that I have seen certain situations where matching the hatch will outperform these. For instance, last summer Alan and I were fishing a small creek. He had bought some size 12 Rainy's brown hoppers that matched the grasshoppers in the creek exactly. They outperformed every other fly we used.

So to make a short answer very long I would say Yes you can improve your catch rate on different water bodies if you more closely match the hatch.

Some good information! Thanks J-Moe for sharing. woot

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: Laker One] #12754139 05/14/18 09:57 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Laker One

Some good information! Thanks J-Moe for sharing. woot

This is what makes the TFF a GREAT source of information. Anglers sharing their knowledge! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12754457 05/14/18 02:25 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
Way to go Jamie, congrats on another record! clap

I plan to fish the Brazos soon, can't wait. I hear there are some new rules there but don't know any specifics, does it effect fishing out of a kayak?

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: Dfitz] #12754747 05/14/18 04:54 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Fitz

I plan to fish the Brazos soon, can't wait. I hear there are some new rules there but don't know any specifics, does it effect fishing out of a kayak?

Thanks Andrew

No, it doesn't effect fishing out of the kayak other than the distance from the dam has increased slightly. No more wade fishing. The power generation is now on an automatic setting so there is less time notice when the gates will open.

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12756057 05/15/18 01:55 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G

Thanks J-Moe. Interesting! I always love to know what fish are biting on in other water bodies.

Re: Fly Fishing the Brazos River [Re: J-Moe] #12756065 05/15/18 01:59 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
Originally Posted By: Fitz

Thanks Andrew

No, it doesn't effect fishing out of the kayak other than the distance from the dam has increased slightly. No more wade fishing. The power generation is now on an automatic setting so there is less time notice when the gates will open.

Thanks Jamie

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide