texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,879
Posts13,954,696
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Grapevine Newb #12754563 05/14/18 03:25 PM
M
Manther Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Decided to teach myself how to bass fish.
Have watched tons of videos on youtube, and done quite a bit of reading.

Been fishing on lake Grapevine 6 times since the spring started and have not caught one single fish.
I understand a few basic techniques. I practice pitching and flipping in my backyard. Have small Tupperware's at various distances to practice landing in. Getting pretty good at pitching. Don't really flip much yet.
I love pitching a jig or Texas rigged creature into cover along the banks. (This is the way I really want to fish the most, but I'll try anything.)
I put in on Denton creek in trophy club. I have fished the holy hell outta those back shallows everywhere on the north end. I have never even gotten one bite. (Soooo many gars in the north end). There is bait fish popping all ove the place up there though.
I still don't quite know when and where to use my dropshot / finesse rig yet. So I just randomly bust it out from time to time. Cast it out and slowly pull it back in. Have tried letting it land near large sunken trees or just in open water. I don't really see any grass beds in Grapevine, but maybe I don't know how to locate them yet.
Yesterday I went out to deeper waters. It's tough on Grapevine because its so rough, and I only have a 15' bass tracker.
But I found an area I really liked about 15-18' deep with plenty fish showing on my finder at about 10' deep.
I tried a round bill crankbait and my daughter used a lipless crank bait for a couple hours. I got one thump the entire time.
I also tried yoyo'ing a jig, and my drop shot rig in that area.

I don't think Grapevine is the greatest lake to fish (too much pressure?), but I live 5 miles from it, so I really want to learn how to make it work. Visibility is bad, maybe 6 inches. I could give Eagle Mountain a try though if it's easier to fish.

I have some basics in lures. jigs, a frog, Texas or Carolina rig plastics (creatures or worms), drop shot rigs, and a couple of crankbaits. (don't have a chatterbait, or spinner yet).

One thing I should work on is getting out earlier. I've been getting on the water around 10AM.

Advise welcome. Starting to get a discouraged.

Thanks!

Last edited by Manther; 06/05/18 04:13 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754575 05/14/18 03:31 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Try around the marinas on the other end of the lake and report back to us.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754596 05/14/18 03:47 PM
T
Too Fat 2 Fish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Launch at Katie's Woods. Will put you about midway between the 2 marinas on south side, good protection from s/se wind. Can also hit rip rap on south end of dam if wind is not too bad. And go earlier - or much later. Personally never had any luck during middle of day on grapevine. No grass there either

Last edited by Too Fat 2 Fish; 05/14/18 03:56 PM.
Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754694 05/14/18 04:27 PM
S
Scott Gordon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Don't worry, you'll start catching them and developing your confidence! One thing I always recommend would be to hire a guide that can devote solid time discussing techniques, bass migration and patterns, structure, while at the same time catching a lot of fish!

Scott Gordon
Tournament Director
Bass Pro Shops Cabelas Big Bass Tour
scott@bigbasstour.com
214-801-2611
Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754726 05/14/18 04:42 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Manther

I don't think Grapevine is the greatest lake to fish (too much pressure?), but I live 5 miles from it, so I really want to learn how to make it work.

Grapevine is one of the easiest lakes to fish in the DFW area. Once you get your confidence up and find some key spots, you'll catch them every time. When I fished there a lot, wind blown rocky areas would usually produce. The dam always holds fish, try a shaky head out deeper. Also, rather then hitting the early bite, go in the evening until dark this time of year.

You'll figure out how to catch them but they will constantly be moving too, so switch it up.

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754814 05/14/18 05:29 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Go early and throw a shad imitating bait on wind blown banks and you should change the no fish thing very fast.

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754833 05/14/18 05:40 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
It can be frustrating. I still get frustrated with fishing. What you might try is to leave the boat at home and hit a few small ponds where there is less pressure. Get a feel for it and pay attention to what kind of structure and cover they are hanging around. Then try to go to the lake with the boat and duplicate it.

I'd also recommend getting in touch with James Biggs on here. He does instructional fishing. He would tell you what lures to bring, have a sit down before ever getting on the water to talk to you about patterns and reading a lake and then will go out and put all of what you were taught into use. I used him last year at Joe Pool and it really improved my fishing. His rate is pretty low, especially when you think about the time that he will save you just learning how to begin.

I've only been on Grapevine twice but most of my bites were on all the docks.

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12754837 05/14/18 05:40 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Pm sent

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Bobby Milam] #12754984 05/14/18 07:04 PM
M
Manther Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
What you might try is to leave the boat at home and hit a few small ponds where there is less pressure.

This is something I've really been thinking about also. I remember a small catch/release pond in the Arlington area that was really nice (Or maybe it was Hurst); for the life of me I can't remember where it is. I think there is a really nice stocked pond in Euless too off Bear Creek.

The pond by the Roanoke fire department according to parks and rec. is only stocked right before the big fishing contest and then is completely hammered. I went out there one day and there is absolutely no sign of life. Same with Bob Eden, called their parks and rec and it hasn't been stocked in years.

Last edited by Manther; 05/14/18 07:05 PM.
Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12755096 05/14/18 08:00 PM
i-Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
+1 JAMES BIGGS!!!

Trust me, youre causing yourself more harm by learning from YouTube. Dont get me wrong - some of it is good and useful information but if you dont have a practical foundation to start with it becomes information overload and youll forever lack confidence and clarity. Been there.

If you can't find em wind em.
Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12755143 05/14/18 08:33 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Flip buck brush wherever you can find it from mid lake to the dam. On sunny days they are in em and eating. Went through 2 bags of Rowdy Bugs on my last trip there.... fished a half day and had 14 fish with 3 overs all on the flipping bait. Funniest thing ever, I started off fishing the shad spawn and killed an hour without a bite, not even a darn sandbass. I put down the shad baits, grabbed the Rowdy Bug and hit the bushes to save the day.

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12755773 05/15/18 03:17 AM
Jigger Offline
Angler
Angler
Throw finesse worms on shaky head or drop shot. In general points or rocky areas are the key. Ill be happy to show you around out there sometime. PM me & we can coordinate.

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12756208 05/15/18 03:24 PM
M
Manther Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Thanks for all the replies. Lots to take in. I'm gonna process all of this, and see what changes I can make. for sure I need to abandon mid-day fishing. And checkout the south end, and more rocky areas, and up my finesse game. Shakyhead finesse worms near rip rap closer to the marina's and the damn sound like a promising plan of action.

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Manther] #12776567 06/01/18 03:30 PM
M
Manther Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Getting a "little" better.
We tried fishing nearer the south side, closer to the dam.
I've been focusing on finesse fishing. Have some light XT 6lb line on a spinning reel.
I've been experimenting with a GYCB 4" Fat Ika with a EWG 4/0 hook Texas rigged. Letting it hit and rest for about 30 seconds and slowly methodically moving it a foot at a time.
I've been focusing on sitting on points, right around the edge of any drop offs I can find.
Played around with a wacky rig and a drop shot rig. But I think I wanna focus on Texas rig's right now and build up confidence in it first.
I have only caught a couple of white bass and nearly had a widemouth in the boat but he shook off while he was up in the air just over my boat.
And all those were on crank baits, after I get tired of finesse fishing. The white bass were on medium diving spoon nose cranks, and the WM was on a cheap $2 lipless, and he was hanging around a rocky point late morning on a hot day, when the water temp was upper 80's in like 10ft of water.
We are now trying evening fishing. Rigged the daughter up with 8lb flouro and a 7" Berkley power-worm (ring tail) T-rigged (Tequila sunrise).
We went to a real rocky point on the north side just north of Rockledge. at sundown. Water was about 84.5 degrees. I had her fan out starting near the shore on one side of the boat while I did a Fat Ika out the other side. First cast near the shore working her way back she hooks a decent SM. We were both stoked. It's the best fish we have caught since I started bass fishing.
She gut hooked it, but I was able to perform successful surgery without hurting him too much.

TLDR;
We are getting a bit better. Caught a couple. Trying to perfect Texas rigged presentation.
Oh, and I hate fishing the main body of Lake Grapevine on the weekends. Too many selfish idiots.

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._52575008202948[/img]

Re: Grapevine Newb [Re: Jigger] #12776648 06/01/18 04:29 PM
Justin DuBose Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Jigger
Throw finesse worms on shaky head or drop shot. In general points or rocky areas are the key. Ill be happy to show you around out there sometime. PM me & we can coordinate.

If you can't find time to go with Jigger, I will be more than happy to show you around the lake. I'm limited to Sundays and Mondays. You can PM me your number to shoot me a text. I keep my boat at Jigger's house smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide