Page 1 of 2 1 2
Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends #12748534 05/09/18 03:34 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Had two days free this past weekend and spent it the best way possible. Took my dad out day one to put him on his new PB, then went out with three of my buddies on the second day, two of which had never caught a carp before. All fish were caught on corn or wild blackberries with a method mix of oats and chili, and were released to fight another day!

Day One: Putting my dad on his new PB. We were catching carp and buffalo on wild blackberries we found right underneath our feet, I always love rigging up stuff we find on the bank and catching fish on it. My dad would take some for the fish and some for himself every time he re-baited!

First fish of the day, my dad's new PB Smallmouth Buffalo at a very nice 24lb 3oz. Where we were fishing, there was a pretty good drop to the water so I tried to net this guy with my metal-handled rubber net, which I soon found out could not support the weight of the fish when the netting tore and the fish fell back into the water, thankfully still on my dad's line. We threaded the rod through the net and had to try our best to use the European style net in not so optimal conditions. Gotta get a better net for these types of situations!

My first fish, a little channel cat.

First carp of the day for me, not too big but any tug on the line is a good one!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3fvN8qI.jpg?1[/img]

My second carp, we were catching them so fast we'd barely have time to get a single rod in the water before it'd tear off with a fish. We were on 'em! fish

Dad's first catfish of the day

He was telling me that these catfish were the perfect size to mount on your hat... roflmao

'nother carp for him, just a little guy.

Long and skinny carp for my dad, 7lb 12oz.

My dad's first ever Ghost Carp!

Earlier, he was going on about how he really wants to go fishing for bass, but I think he enjoys catching these judging by his smile.

I always get the feeling that if I just stay long enough to ride out these little carp I'll catch the giants. Wish I had the time to find out!

Dad caught another, I was telling him that when they raise their fins like this it makes them look bigger.

The red you see on this fish is actually some of the blackberry that it took off of my hook. They were tearing them up that day!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12748535 05/09/18 03:34 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T

Another fish for me!

This was a chunky little guy, 9lb 8oz. Excuse the face, my dad only took one picture and this was it.

Last fish of the day, we had only been here a couple hours but my dad's back was starting to hurt so we decided to call it quits.

Since we cut it so early, I decided I'd take a quick trip down to the Trinity with my sister to see if we couldn't hook up with some gar. I ended up setting the hook on a nice hit, only to feel absolutely no resistance because the gar had bitten clean through my line. Actually did end up hooking into a nice 2.5-3ft Alligator Gar that came up to the surface and just sat there. When I tried to pull him towards me, he freaked out, jumped, and spit the hook. So frustrating, but I'm going to master gar fishing eventually.

My sister ended up with the only fish of the trip, a nice sized Freshwater Drum! I still haven't caught this species, so jealous that she got this one.

Day Two: Taking the carp newbies out for their first carp

While I was throwing bait in the water, my friend was casting around a lure and got this Yellow Bass almost as soon as it hit the water. I haven't got this species either!

After I had hyped up the fight that carp give, he wasn't too excited to get a small catfish.

At least someone was happy to catch a little cat!

They can be frustrating when you're after carp, but they're fun nevertheless.

Catfish all around! We were in the thick of 'em.

Another little catfish for me, by this point we were starting to think we should take some home.

Sadly, this was his last fish of the day. He decided to move to another spot as we hadn't caught any carp just yet, and he paid the price.

First carp of the day and his first carp ever! 9lb 9oz as well, not too bad for his first one!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12748536 05/09/18 03:34 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T

Got myself another catfish.

Biggest catfish of the day!

My first carp of the day, they were finally starting to find our bait.

His first ever carp! He doesn't look terribly excited in the photo but he sure was hollering when the fish was peeling drag. 5lb 11oz.

His second carp ever, right at 7lbs.

Finally got into some nice ones, my friend didn't believe that he'd get a fish as big as this! This was his first ever Smallmouth Buffalo, and a really solid one at that, at 19lb 1oz. Mine was just under that @ 18lb 14oz. The fish were starting to get super active, and if I was by myself I'd have stayed, but everyone was getting tired, hungry, thirsty, and beaten down from the heat so we decided to pack it up. They were all satisfied with their catch, and even though it was a relatively slow day in my opinion, they had one of the best fishing days of their lives. They certainly can't wait to go again!

[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12748544 05/09/18 03:43 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3fvN8qI.jpg?1[/img]

My second carp, we were catching them so fast we'd barely have time to get a single rod in the water before it'd tear off with a fish. We were on 'em! fish

For some reason this fish wouldn't post, it's just a small one, though!

[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12749085 05/09/18 04:35 PM
W
Wildman of the navidad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
whipwhipwhip thrashing em you are on a roll great job looks like a great time.woot also using natural bait rockon

Psalm:91

Quote on the wildman" They Said he'd eat the hair off of a man's head when he was hungry
and squeeze the water out of rocks when he was thirsty"
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12749592 05/09/18 10:09 PM
P
Pot licker Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
Awesome post and congrats to your dad on his pb thumb

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12749765 05/10/18 12:39 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Thanks Wildman and Pot licker! It's always amazing picking up what's on the bank that you can put on a hook to see if the fish will take it. I've used nuts, berries, various bugs, and even flowers with success!

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 05/10/18 12:39 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12749970 05/10/18 03:33 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
coolphotos and one "FANTASTIC" post! Congrats to your Dad on his new PB! Great times with some lifetime memories. Good job. rockon

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12750027 05/10/18 05:32 AM
C
CurlyTailFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have done this! I was with a friend and had some success. A pond that I frequent grows wild onion along grassy parts of the bank.

The bud looks similar to the image I attached but you rig it onto your hair. I was surprised at how often the wild onion got nibbles.

Give a man a fish he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend!
[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12750072 05/10/18 10:44 AM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Great post TX.Multi-Species! Keep em coming. rockon

Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12750253 05/10/18 01:43 PM
M
MinMirny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Another excellent report.
Congrats on an excellent -both- Day & Report! smile
Thank you, man!

Light tackle carp fishing vet.
PB carp: common 27lb - mirror 27.5lb - grassy 42lb - ghost 14lb
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12750330 05/10/18 02:37 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Thanks Banker, Andrew, Laker, and MinMirny!

I've seen some of those wild onions on the bank before. I was so tempted to put them on a hair and try them out, but we were catching fish pretty well on corn. Maybe next time!

[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12751029 05/11/18 12:12 AM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
good job man ..this reminds me of a story from years ago... i was fishing at w/r lake with a good friend .we had been there over three long hours without a bite .i decided to walk to the trash cans and throw my trash in .i noticed 3 crepe myrtle trees just begining to bloom , i took some buds that were still closed but had a speck of pink coming out of them . i hair rigged a couple of them , within five minutes i landed a carp on them . my friend went and got some and we caught one right after another on them . may have been coincidence but we hauled ..... other stuff i have caught on .half a pecan , jelly beans and cut up pieces of bass plastic worms lol

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12751048 05/11/18 12:32 AM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Jesse, don't forget the good one you caught on an acorn.

Re: Weekend Fishing w/ Family/Friends [Re: Curt0407] #12751101 05/11/18 01:21 AM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Curt0407
Jesse, don't forget the good one you caught on an acorn.
so true Curt ! im getting forgetful hahaha

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide