Print Thread
Enviormental factors to look for in coming months #12749811 05/10/18 01:17 AM
L
leanin post Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
seems everything is late this year, usually by now the grasshoppers and crickets are in abundance. I can tell you, grasshoppers and crickets come in many different colors from florescent green, to black and all points in between. keep a good supply of browns, yellow, chartruese, green colored jigs available this time of year.
Also soon we will see the magnificent and fascinating mayfly hatch, historically the mayfly phenom tend to happen either on or very close to the 4th of july, so this time period can be excellent fishing when it starts, then just kill fishing flat due to the fish having so much forage, millions of dead mayflies all over, and you can really catch lots of catfish on shallow set juglines during the mayfly hatch, catfish come to the surface and fill thier bellies with the tasty mayflies. A few years back I witnessed the mayfly hatch on belton and was astounded by how many dead mayflys were floating on the surface, (the breed and then die right after).look for bridge pilings, docks, timber, trees with alot of dead mayflies around them, and drop a jig. u just might hit the jackpot thumb

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12749912 05/10/18 02:41 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
You're just putting a lot of good info out today I see.... THANKS

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12749987 05/10/18 03:43 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I saw a tiny grasshopper on the mower today...wont be long...

Dang it, what are you doing passing on this type information?!! Maybe Ken wont see it... roflmao

I am glad you didnt mention about the cricket that gather under the lights at night...oops! scared bolt

Last edited by crapicat; 05/10/18 03:46 AM.
Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: crapicat] #12750012 05/10/18 04:55 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: crapicat
I saw a tiny grasshopper on the mower today...wont be long...

Dang it, what are you doing passing on this type information?!! Maybe Ken wont see it... roflmao

I am glad you didnt mention about the cricket that gather under the lights at night...oops! scared bolt

I may have to get into the witness protection program soon, the belton mafia left a dead fish on my doorstep last week. Got a strange visit from 2 guys dressed in dark suits, one called Radar, the other Clinger... scary I tell ya. said they knew a guy that would stuff me,, lol. roflmao

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12750032 05/10/18 05:57 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Hmmm, was it a Carp or a Gar?

Stuffed? Tough way to go... hung

Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12750079 05/10/18 10:56 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I remember when the mayflies hatched a few years ago on LOP. I saw almost every species of fish that swam in the lake in the middle of some timber mid lake. They were all cruising the surface and eating. I saw a few big channel cats that were just swimming around with their mouths open like you see in a stocked pond at feeding time.

Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: Txmedic033] #12750084 05/10/18 11:05 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I remember when the mayflies hatched a few years ago on LOP. I saw almost every species of fish that swam in the lake in the middle of some timber mid lake. They were all cruising the surface and eating. I saw a few big channel cats that were just swimming around with their mouths open like you see in a stocked pond at feeding time.

Medic, there are a couple places on Eagle mountain, that I used to fill the cooler as fast as I could drop a line in the water...every species in the lake would be at the party! It all comes down to paying attention to whats happening on the lake!

Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12750125 05/10/18 12:18 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Great Information LP! thumb

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12750224 05/10/18 01:27 PM
AQUA11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Interesting, I too remember a few years ago when Belton had a Heck of a hatch. We were running some jugs in a cove and the things were solid. Had to keep you mouth shut or they would fly in. The girls (ladies) I fish with went totally crazy. We now call that location "Mayfly".

Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: Txmedic033] #12750356 05/10/18 02:59 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

YES, I saw the big blue cats on waco doing the same thing, seeing the big uns coming to the surface to feed is quite a spectacle. as I said, BOLO around the 4th of july.

Re: Enviormental factors to look for in coming months [Re: leanin post] #12750363 05/10/18 03:07 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
if you see grasshoppers flying out of any trees near the bank, fish ALL structure and cover in that vicinity, also keep an eye out for lakes surrounded by farm fields, when the farmers thrash the fields, that stirs all the crickets up and can start a frenzy. Waco is one of the lakes this happens on.
Theres always something going on, lake turn overs, shad hatchlings, daphnia , bird poop, ect, being in tuned with whats going on can help you understand the whys of how fish are behaving.
I recall a cousin of mine always say, " the why is not as important as the IS. "
I want to know the Is AND the why. ha

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide