Print Thread
1955 Lonestar Cruisemaster... #12747890 05/08/18 08:21 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I got this old boat about 15 years ago to keep it from the scrap yard and am just now getting to the point that I can start thinking about restoring it. Planning to start in the next couple of years and considering what direction to go with it.

Its 21' and I'm considering adding an about 4.5' welded aluminum tub on the back of it to house a small block engine in an inboard/outboard setup.

Currently it is little more than a stripped shell so anything is possible. Would like to know your thoughts about the project in general and the inboard/outboard conversion in particular.

What size engine would you go with? I was thinking V-6. What brand, model, etc. Or just keep it as an outboard?

If I keep it under 26' it will remain a Class 1 for registration.

Thanks!

Jes

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: 1955 Lonestar Cruisemaster... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #12749695 05/09/18 11:46 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Snake: If you title it as an "Antique", you don't have to put the "f"ugly TPWD stickers on the hull. No discounts in Texas for antiques, unlike many states, however. My tin boat is a 1959, and I have never been asked about a title for my 1961 Johnson 5.5 Twin outboard. I HAVE had to have a Game Warden read the back of my sticker, which says you don't have to display it. That'll be a great boat. Strip it to bare aluminum, pickle it with vinegar/water and prime it with zinc chromate primer(NAPA), and tractor paint. I would get an old 2-stroke outboard for it, rather than an inboard. Much less grief. The old outboards were simple and tough.
IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: 1955 Lonestar Cruisemaster... [Re: IslandJim] #12750958 05/10/18 11:20 PM
R
rb7764 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
That is one awesome looking boat. The motor appears to be an old inline 6 Merc tower of power. If it is not stuck, I would get her running again. Those are relatively simple motors with lots of Youtube videos on repair. Key is to make sure top cylinder has not overheated and to make sure the upper and lower crank seals are good. Everything else is simple.

Re: 1955 Lonestar Cruisemaster... [Re: IslandJim] #12751179 05/11/18 02:28 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: rb7764
That is one awesome looking boat. The motor appears to be an old inline 6 Merc tower of power. If it is not stuck, I would get her running again. Those are relatively simple motors with lots of Youtube videos on repair. Key is to make sure top cylinder has not overheated and to make sure the upper and lower crank seals are good. Everything else is simple.
The motor was locked up solid when I got the boat.....bang I love the lines of the boat.

Originally Posted By: IslandJim
Snake: If you title it as an "Antique", you don't have to put the "f"ugly TPWD stickers on the hull. No discounts in Texas for antiques, unlike many states, however. My tin boat is a 1959, and I have never been asked about a title for my 1961 Johnson 5.5 Twin outboard. I HAVE had to have a Game Warden read the back of my sticker, which says you don't have to display it. That'll be a great boat. Strip it to bare aluminum, pickle it with vinegar/water and prime it with zinc chromate primer(NAPA), and tractor paint. I would get an old 2-stroke outboard for it, rather than an inboard. Much less grief. The old outboards were simple and tough.
IslandJim

Thanks! One of the reasons I was thinking about adding the inboard setup was to increase the outside usable area as a deck. As big as it is most of it is cabin...and gets even smaller when you put up the bikini top....

The transom has been hacked up pretty bad....all of this is missing.

A couple print adds from back in the day.....cheers

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: 1955 Lonestar Cruisemaster... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #14016971 06/01/21 01:38 AM
B
briandrake9 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Hello Snake,

I rebuilt a 1955 Lonestar Cruisemaster by adding a new transom with several layers of marine plywood then hung a 115 hp on the back end. You are much better off with an outboard on this boat. Aluminum body would need major strengthening.

To make more room in the cabin, I took out the porcelain head (toilet), stove, and cut the front of the roof off so it is removable. People can stand up in the front of the cabin when the roof is off . Much nicer for riding on hot days instead of baking inside the cabin. Polished it all and put a Silver Surfer action figure on the bow: rename the boat as The Silver Surfer. Gets more looks at the dock and on the water than the Kardashians in tiny bikinis.

Attached Files Silver Surfer 1.jpgSilver Surfer topless.jpg
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide