Print Thread
ATAK 140 owners #12740307 05/02/18 09:31 PM
B
Bluecatkayak Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I've got a few questions! Im looking to upgrade (a few months down the road probably) but this is the boat that has my attention the most. My biggest questions are

1. How fast is it? And how easy is it to paddle?
2. How does it handle big water? Im talking 15ishmph winds on big lakes

Im wanting to get this boat because it looks super stable and easy to stand in, qnd it has a fairly open deck compared to my Raptor. After a few hours in my Raptor, my feet start to cramp up because of how narrow the front of the deck is. I also fish a lot of main lake stuff for blue cats, and I plan on taking up striper fishing, so the ability to fish main lake structure in some wind is going to be a big deal. But I also want to be able to stand and bass fish too.

Any info regarding this boat would be greatly appreciated!

Re: ATAK 140 owners [Re: Bluecatkayak] #12740389 05/02/18 10:29 PM
C
craigfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Tough choice man. I was close to pulling the trigger on an ATAK but it is a pretty wet boat depending on how heavy you are. Im 235 and too much water comes in through the scuppers for me. Also it won't maneuver as good as some and I do some river trips that I knew I would get it stuck between a couple boulders on the Devils River at some point lol. Im in Lubbock also and our lakes are cold as &%$! to paddle on until April so I don't want to be sitting/standing in an inch of water all day, rubber boots or not. The Jackson Mayfly was my 2nd choice. And although I didn't get to paddle one, the weight and skinny river water maneuverability(or lack there of) and portaging/loading that big wide hull looked tough. The ATAK and Mayfly are both around 90lbs. I ended up going with the Bonafide. It has given me amazing stability, distance paddling and maneuverability combined at about 75lbs. I haven't paddled them all but I cant imagine anything else being this versatile. Like I said I'm in Lubbock so if you want to give it a paddle pm me and maybe we can hit playa lake some time. Good luck with your choice.

Re: ATAK 140 owners [Re: Bluecatkayak] #12740447 05/02/18 11:10 PM
S
stanh Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I fished out of my ATAK 140 for a year +. Came out of a Native Slayer 14 into the ATAK (the Slayer was a better boat, IMO). As far as speed, I did not find it any faster than my Slayer or my Cuda 12 either. About the same, I think. It was no easier to paddle than any other 100# kayak I've been in. I believe the low profile makes much more resistant to wind deflection/drift; the wind seems to blow across it more than a taller boat. I never found it particularly stable; but I struggle a little in my PA 12 too- so its probably more me than the boat. The OS POD was extremely handy for my electronics. I really liked that feature. IMO, you will not want to fish out of this boat without a rudder. It's just too long to be nimble. And I had to modify the rudder kit to make it dependable- but that was pretty easy. I'm about 210 pounds and was never bothered by a wet ride. It did seem to have a wet deck but that did not cause any problems.

The ATAK 140 is down the list on the kayaks I've owned; but still a really nice boat. If I was going to get another ATAK, I'd get the 120 this time.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Re: ATAK 140 owners [Re: craigfish] #12740472 05/02/18 11:35 PM
B
Bluecatkayak Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: craigfish
Tough choice man. I was close to pulling the trigger on an ATAK but it is a pretty wet boat depending on how heavy you are. Im 235 and too much water comes in through the scuppers for me. Also it won't maneuver as good as some and I do some river trips that I knew I would get it stuck between a couple boulders on the Devils River at some point lol. Im in Lubbock also and our lakes are cold as &%$! to paddle on until April so I don't want to be sitting/standing in an inch of water all day, rubber boots or not. The Jackson Mayfly was my 2nd choice. And although I didn't get to paddle one, the weight and skinny river water maneuverability(or lack there of) and portaging/loading that big wide hull looked tough. The ATAK and Mayfly are both around 90lbs. I ended up going with the Bonafide. It has given me amazing stability, distance paddling and maneuverability combined at about 75lbs. I haven't paddled them all but I cant imagine anything else being this versatile. Like I said I'm in Lubbock so if you want to give it a paddle pm me and maybe we can hit playa lake some time. Good luck with your choice.

I may have to take you up on the bonafide because it has interested me too! I have just heard it doesnt do all that great in wind

Re: ATAK 140 owners [Re: Bluecatkayak] #12742346 05/04/18 12:12 AM
C
Clay34 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Craigfish, interesting in that the Atak140 and Mayfly also went through consideration by me. It might sound funny, but I have to have my Engel 35 cooler with me. It's my fish box and lunch box all in one. The Atak 140 didn't allow the big cooler. The rear rod box on the 140 might be OK for transport of rods etc, but getting them out on the water can be crazy tough.

I still like the Mayfly, and tried to buy the last 2017 Mayfly that my local dealer had in stock in March. I waited 15 minutes too long. When I called to pay for it over the phone they said someone else was buying it as we spoke.

So instead of a new boat, I bought a new Humminbird Chirp Helix 7 Si and an Anchor Wizard and other goodies for the old boat.

Besides the Bonafide, the other new boat on my list is the Native Slayer XC. It's wide, stable and low profile. It will handle the big cooler and float on wet grass. It's in the price range of the Bonafide and has clean open deck for us flyfisherman or anyone else that wants a clean deck - it has a removable center console.

I would like to actually test paddle 3 boats right now: Bonafide SS127, Mayfly and the Slayer XC.

Your requirements might be different than mine. I need a standing fishing boat for 90% of what I do as a guy who fishes the flats while sight fishing.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: ATAK 140 owners [Re: Clay34] #12744357 05/05/18 05:38 PM
C
craigfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Ive heard people say that the Bonafide "didnt do well in the wind". That just hasnt been my experience. I don't paddle and cast and paddle and cast though. I paddle to an area, anchor up, fish, them move on. But I havnt noticed any problems with the wind in it. And its ALWAYS windy here.

Re: ATAK 140 owners [Re: craigfish] #12744493 05/05/18 09:05 PM
B
Bluecatkayak Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: craigfish
Ive heard people say that the Bonafide "didnt do well in the wind". That just hasnt been my experience. I don't paddle and cast and paddle and cast though. I paddle to an area, anchor up, fish, them move on. But I havnt noticed any problems with the wind in it. And its ALWAYS windy here.

Thats good to know, how does it paddle in the wind? Thats my biggest concern, because usually when it's windy, Im anchored up or drift fishing for blues. Or trolling crankbaits. I just want to make sure I dont have something that is just a beast to paddle through chop in all reality.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide