Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SHO Nuff Problem #12732225 04/26/18 08:29 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
I posted the following on March 8th about a fuel problem I was having and I now have the results and I think you'll find this interesting .

I'm running a 2014 Yamaha SHO 150 and today for the first time have a problem. After getting on pad for about a quarter mile the motor just runs out of gas and dies. Starts up and idle a little while, get back on pad for another quarter mile, same thing, runs out of gas and dies. Always starts up and will idle from now on but once you get up on pad for a little while it just runs out of gas. Anyone have this problem ? Youtube talks about a VST filter and also a fuel pump but if it was the fuel pump it would start and run would it ? HELP

I took the boat to Rockwall Marine and it was there for a little over 5 weeks but they just couldn't get to it so I picked it up last Wednesday. Nothing against them they're just covered up. Anyway I started discovery last Saturday and started with the fuel lines. Since the problem started with the starboard tank I removed that line first. See picture below.

Ethanol had eaten the liner inside the fuel line and it had separated from the hose. I pulled it completely out.
Next the port fuel line. See below.

As you can see the liner is still intact but ethanol had started the decomposing process.
Next, the fuel line from the port/starboard switch to the water separator. See below

Once again the liner had decomposed and separated from the fuel line. I'm convinced this was caused by ethanol. I bought the boat in January of 2016 and the boat had been setting up for about 6 months. I should have drained both tanks but didn't. Whenever possible I buy ethanol free usually from Star Mart at Fork, otherwise I use StarTron additive. Anyway, changed all the fuel lines and took the boat out for a trial run today and everything is great again. Hope this helps any of you who has had a similar problem.

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 04/26/18 08:31 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732258 04/26/18 08:51 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Good job gigem!

No excuses now, get on the water. thumb

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: bigfishtx] #12732263 04/26/18 08:55 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Good job gigem!

No excuses now, get on the water. thumb

Thanks bigfish, was out there today at RH testing and caught 3. Going to a better lake Monday. The world is round again now that my boat is fixed.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732305 04/26/18 09:26 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Good Job Ronnie!

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732308 04/26/18 09:27 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
How long did it sit with untreated fuel?

NVM....I see 6 months now. Ya it can start breaking down in as little as 3-4 weeks

Last edited by Jaret Latta; 04/26/18 09:28 PM.
Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732360 04/26/18 10:19 PM
S
Steve PIII Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I'm pretty sure Star Mart gets a load of ethanol once in a while. The guy told me that. I go down the road to Fisherman's One Stop.

Real trucks don't need spark plugs.
Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: Steve PIII] #12732381 04/26/18 10:49 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Steve PIII
I'm pretty sure Star Mart gets a load of ethanol once in a while. The guy told me that. I go down the road to Fisherman's One Stop.

The pump says non-ethanol and is more expensive. Hate to think they are selling ethanol from that pump.

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732403 04/26/18 11:32 PM
D
DJB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
5 weeks in the shop? Hope they didn't charge you. I would think the fuel line would have been a easy diagnosis.

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: DJB] #12732430 04/27/18 12:01 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: DJB
5 weeks in the shop? Hope they didn't charge you. I would think the fuel line would have been a easy diagnosis.

They didn't charge anything and were very apologetic, they're just very busy which tells you they do good work. Diagnosis was difficult because it happened all of a sudden and there were so many things that could cause it including fuel pumps, filters ( these 4 strokes have lots of filters) and clogged injectors. Never knew ethanol could do that much damage but I know now. I'm just glad it was a fairly inexpensive fix. clap

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732443 04/27/18 12:07 AM
D
DJB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Wow ,your are a really mellow dude. I would have been a little upset.

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732451 04/27/18 12:13 AM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
How could a 2014 motor/ boat not use ethonol resistant hose? Doesnt make sense.
Im by no means an ethanol fan but if it was the cause Id think we would see a lot more of these failures. My 1997 evinrude has the original fuel hoses on it and I make no attempt to use ethanol free gas and Ive never had a failure... until tomorrow , Im sure. My money is on you got a defective fuel line.

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732481 04/27/18 12:32 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
My Mercury 90 did the same thing. Ran good then died while on plane. Would start and idle fine but couldn't give it any throttle. I got it home and started at the engine fuel filter. It was full of what appeared to be a grainy substance. I then pulled the water separator, but it was clean and clear. I started following the fuel line from the separator and up under the splash pan I found a foot of the grey hose like WalMart sells in their marine stuff. I took it out and the inner liner was just falling apart and was like the grainy stuff I found in the filter. I replaced that section of hose and flushed it all the way to the engine fuel filter. Replaced the filter and have had no problems since. I can only guess that when my motor was upgraded, the tech put that short section of grey hose in. It took about 5 years to cause a problem.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: BassBucknBeer] #12732519 04/27/18 01:03 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer
Im by no means an ethanol fan but if it was the cause Id think we would see a lot more of these failures. My 1997 evinrude has the original fuel hoses on it and I make no attempt to use ethanol free gas and Ive never had a failure... until tomorrow , Im sure. My money is on you got a defective fuel line.

The guy I bought it from said he used nothing but premium fuel. I've heard from several SHO owners including the mechanic at Plano Marine that premium fuel was not good for 4 strokes. The manual recommends 89 octane but I know guys who have 250hp SHO's that run regular and it runs just fine. It's my belief that the boat setting up for 6 months is the culprit and my bad for not putting in fresh gas. Regardless it's fixed now and I learned something from the experience. Something I failed to mention, I bought the boat in Arkansas from a kid who was on the University of Arkansas bass team. You think maybe.........

Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12732526 04/27/18 01:05 AM
Clark3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

The guy I bought it from said he used nothing but premium fuel. I've heard from several SHO owners including the mechanic at Plano Marine that premium fuel was not good for 4 strokes. The manual recommends 89 octane but I know guys who have 250hp SHO's that run regular and it runs just fine. It's my belief that the boat setting up for 6 months is the culprit and my bad for not putting in fresh gas. Regardless it's fixed now and I learned something from the experience. Something I failed to mention, I bought the boat in Arkansas from a kid who was on the University of Arkansas bass team. You think maybe.........

Think maybe his sister is his cousin? Yes I think that

[Linked Image]
Re: SHO Nuff Problem [Re: Clark3] #12732571 04/27/18 01:28 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Clark3
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Think maybe his sister is his cousin? Yes I think that

I have no knowledge of that but I've heard those kinds of things happen. By his own admission his mom was a stripper, so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide