M
Mofishin1990 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Originally Posted By: timbertoes
More reports needed ! smile

Unfortunately I have nothing to report. I've only been able to take it out once so far, and the wind was so bad, I was only out there for about 30 minutes. I'm hoping that I will be able to take it out this Saturday, but I'm not going to hold my breath. cry

It's killing me lol.

The time I have spent with it has been really good though. The boat is super stable. The first time I've ever been in a kayak and it was easy to stand in, even with high wind, and I never felt like It was going to tip over. Paddled well, and I found the seat to be really comfortable.

Re: Bonafide Arrives Today!!! [Re: Mofishin1990] #12756782 05/15/18 10:40 PM
timbertoes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
ok doke!

Re: Bonafide Arrives Today!!! [Re: Mofishin1990] #12778304 06/03/18 03:35 AM
M
Mofishin1990 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Finally have the time to post an update.

Fished on the Sunday before Memorial day.The Bonafide performed great. Was out pretty much all day, forgot my sun screen so now my legs have turned a shade of reddish purple and burn like the Dickens haha. It paddled well, getting it moving took a little effort in the first few paddle strokes. But once I got it going, I felt like it was pretty fast. It carried momentum way more than I figured it would; caused me to overshoot some spots a bit lol. For the total time I was out there, I probably stood up for a total of an hour. Standing was not a problem in the slightest. Missed a jig fish, so the hookset was big and caused me to look kind of goofy trying to regain my balance; but never felt like I was going to end up overboard. The only negative I have is that , and it might just be my inexperience, it didn't like the wind in the least. The slightest bit of a breeze was causing me to turn and drift pretty substantially. Causing me some pain trying to do some drop shotting.

All in all I am very pleased with it, and reccomend the Bonafide SS 127 for anybody thinking about getting one.

Re: Bonafide Arrives Today!!! [Re: Mofishin1990] #12778411 06/03/18 12:09 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
A good follow-up review, thanks!

Some ideas to share.

The first is to make spraying down with sunscreen a priority and best if you can do it before you get on the water. I hate getting that smell all over my line and gear. Add it to your check list as a priority.

In most paddle yaks, when you are at a standstill and decide to move, you'll encounter more inertia than at any other time. For the first 3 or so paddle strokes on each side, no "Tarzan" strokes (you'll just create cavitation), just make them rather longish and light strokes to build some momentum, then shift to your preferred paddling pattern for the speed you want.

You'll get better and better with practice at not over-shooting an area. If you see it happening, drop your paddle into your crotch and a make few really fast dips, right and left, with your blades.

When you are standing, you should never really lock your knees, not totally, just keeping the tiniest of bends in your legs. What this will teach you to do is think "squat" if you get out of balance or, say, bang into something you can't see below the water line. The safest remedy to getting out of balance is dropping your center of mass.

Wind. Wind. Wind. All kayakers' nightmare. For paddlers, I really like the ease of operating a chain anchor. And, an Anchor Wizard might work for you, the newer small profile one. Nothing worse than having a hank of anchor line knotting up in your cockpit. And, carry a brush clip and fastening it to things including even grabbing a handful of grass or a lily pad stem. These things work great and are quick to release. Finally, since most kayak fishing is done in shallow water, a stake-out pole is a Godsend. I use this more than the others as it fits in more situations I find myself in.

Just regarding places you can be in the wind. If the wind is blowing over a dam, there'll usually be a quite spot in the rip rap area underneath it, coves are good if the wind is blowing left-right, rivers too. And, you can pull up into vegetation mats and it'll arrest wave action and then fish through it or along its edge. Getting on the leeward side of an island works great, I have done this many times on windy Wheeler Branch, as the current and wind will be diverted left and right and you can sit in dead water in very high wind conditions.

One of my favorite orientations in wind is to find a point, there'll almost always be a less windy side, and back my kayak up to the shoreline, bow facing out and fish "out" just like a bank fisherman. Or, stake your kayak after finding places like this not accessible by foot traffic, so no bank fisherman to compete with, and stand and fish. Stretch those legs!

Others, here, will be able to add more tips.

Hope to see you on the water one day soon!

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 06/03/18 12:11 PM.
Re: Bonafide Arrives Today!!! [Re: Brad R] #12778547 06/03/18 02:56 PM
C
Clay34 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I'm with Brad on many of his points. Implementing a stake out pole and an Anchor Wizard have been a good investment for me. Stake out pole with anchor trolley and the new smaller Anchor Wizard make a grand combo for this cheap guy who would love a more expensive option of a power pole in the rear and an Anchor Wizard off the front like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK53Vwr4bBo

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Bonafide Arrives Today!!! [Re: Mofishin1990] #12779104 06/04/18 02:45 AM
M
Mofishin1990 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Brad, thanks for the pointers, will definitely keep them in mind. I'll definitely keep in mind to put on sun screen now; my legs kinda hurt lol. I'm in the process of getting an anchor and stake out pole for sure. Never thought about brush clips, will need to get one. Clay, that's a pretty sweet set up.for me at this point, it is a distant dream hahaha.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide