Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727804 04/23/18 11:15 PM
R
Ricky87 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
G-rod, b&m, bonehead, pro angler , ozark rods are good rods I have all of them I like the bonehead and b&m long rods and g-rod and pro angler and sharp shooter for dock shooting and ozark all around for any pond hoping in a 10 ft it's all about preference. any of these rods will do the job. Spend the extra money and you get a better product imo. But all above will get the job done

The Crappie thump is an amazing feeling
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727807 04/23/18 11:17 PM
T
Tommy2268 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Pro Angler.

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: UJC] #12727951 04/24/18 01:00 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: UJC
Without considering $ to burn, I think rods are over thought. Just get a rod you're comfortable with. Rods have been around a long time and anglers caught fish no matter what stick was in their hands. Electronics and TM improvements have made the largest impact on crappie IMO. I fully understand some anglers have a particular fondness for a rod and have one for just about any condition nature can throw at us, but really any rod would do, even a cane pole. And for locally, then add the crappie knowledge/techniques shared by Paty, O'Bier, Sims, Skinner, Hancock, Belcher, Carter, Reeve, Gaby, Rains, Schwieterman, and more recently Palmer, Ezell, Standridge, Box and too many others to list who have made multiple contributions to Crappie Anglers of Texas' members over the years. The knowledge and techniques all contributors have made to CAT will have put more crappie in the boat than a rod, including some TFF contributors who openly share information on this forum.

I ain't worried about a rod, I'll take what I've learned and apply it. Heck, I even know what a parabolic rod is now thanks to a CAT seminar.

I probably will get slammed for the above. 'I apply the how many more to my purchases'. As in, how many more crappie I'm going to catch if I have rod x vs. rod y or rod z... In other words, you're not going to get my $300 or $100 for a crappie rod.

I agree Jimmy...AHEM...ask Troy what rod his son was using to win the Junior anglers division with... roflmao

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: UJC] #12728032 04/24/18 02:09 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: UJC
Paul O'Bier and his partners over the years on the CAT trail have won 9 of the 10 years Angler of the Year using Pro Angler. Enough said. Like I said, it's your money to use as fit. To each his/her own. My preference is electronics and TM.

I am assuming they give them those rods to use for sponsorship purposes, eh Jimmy?

Personally, I agree, the electronics are cool, the rods and their relative price are personal choice, just as the boat, line and hook are...but when someone spends their hard earned dollars and tries them all extensively enough to provide honest input, just to be able to share their experiences and give an honest opinion (as I do)...well I suppose some folks appreciate that and some dont...and fortunately, I have no allegiances to anyone for my comments...my allegiances lie with the products themselves...because there was a time when a spool line was a big expense, and I needed honest advice before I spent my money...although admittedly, that was many decades ago...and yes, I do understand all the sponsorship money that gets spread around by the sellers of various products for tournaments (remember I have a degree in finance, and a PHD equivalent in banking) and sponsorship on this forum and various groups within this forum...but, just because, someone doesnt care for my opinions, is no reason to bully pulpit my comments...of all people Jimmy, you should know better than to call me out...just saying, tell your people (sponsors) to improve their products, I will purchase and test them and I will comment based on my experienced opinion of their quality...relative to other offerings.

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12728086 04/24/18 02:34 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Wrong crapicat about ProAngler giving away rods to pro staff. There are no freebies from ProAngler.

I think Jimmy's point is, learn how to fish and use different techniques, and you'll be a better fisherman. A $400 rod won't make me catch more fish same as a $6,000 gun won't make me a better shooter.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: Ken Gaby] #12728098 04/24/18 02:39 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Wrong crapicat about ProAngler giving away rods to pro staff. There are no freebies from ProAngler.

I think Jimmy's point is, learn how to fish and use different techniques, and you'll be a better fisherman. A $400 rod won't make me catch more fish same as a $6,000 gun won't make me a better shooter.

Understand Ken, so why dont you fully enlighten all the viewers of how the prostaff sponsorship works with say Proangler, since you brought them up. I am sure the readers would like to know the truth, as would I...since you mentioned it, I suppose you might enlighten the readers how they provide monetary and non monetary support to CAT, as well as other local, and crappiemasters tourneys...just asking you to tell the total truth and not partial truth...

Last edited by crapicat; 04/24/18 02:45 AM.
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12728166 04/24/18 03:28 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Gee crapicat, you make sponsorship sound like some sinister plot from Wash D C.

ProAngler definitely supports CAT and has since the inception of CAT. CAT has many sponsors; just take a look at the sponsor page on the web site. All these companies provide product or funds to support CAT. Some also contribute directly to the CAT junior angler program and CAT scholarship fund. Sponsorship from companies to various organizations has been the American way since before I was born. How do you think CAT is able to give away over $28,000 at Crappiefest? Nothing wrong with any of it. CAT is very honored to have valued sponsors supporting the organization.

http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: Ken Gaby] #12728184 04/24/18 03:44 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Well what I want is for you and your bunch to quit trying to bully me into silence just because my experience/opinion on products I like or do not like, (or others opinions on products) does not agree with one of your primary sponsors, or belittle the fact that I have an opinion that differs from yours or your sponsors...Ganging up on an honest man with an honest opinion, that has purchased, tested, and formed an intelligent opinion for the sake of continued sponsorship is somewhat sinister, IMO. In fact, all I am trying to do is provide a straight forward answer to a question that was posed to a poster that asked a question seeking a truthful answer...and if my answer does not agree with that of your sponsors, is no reason to bully me or anyone else.

Last edited by crapicat; 04/24/18 03:47 AM.
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12728237 04/24/18 05:23 AM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Gee Dale, I reread my post and I don't see where I was calling anyone out much less you. You gave your honest opinion as you do on many products. I did the same, gave my opinion from my experience. Why is my opinion calling someone out? You should know me better than that. I didn't have any one poster in mind when I posted. It was from the general conversation the thread was going or so I thought. Ken's point using the gun analogy is what I was trying to say - he said it better than I.

I don't expect anyone to tell me about their sponsorship agreement. I might ask them but they have every right to simply tell me they don't want to share. That's fine with me. Just like asking someone where they caught their fish, etc. I'd rather hear they don't want to share it without giving any reason as to why, than for them to lie to me.

Good night my friend; let's go fishing sometime.

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12728297 04/24/18 11:42 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Dale, no ganging up on anybody. I didn't comment on this thread till there was an assumption posted about free stuff from ProAngler that I wanted to dispel.

Your opinion about rods is read by me as an honest opinion about your experiences. Everybody has likes and dislikes about their favorite rods. I only commented about sponsorship stuff. I'm not picking on anybody here.

Let's just go fish
Hope you catch a bunch your next trip.

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: UJC] #12728299 04/24/18 11:49 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Jimmy, if you look at the thread, it asks about finding/replacing some Bonehead rods and the best rods to replace them...I have extensive personal experience with all the available rods (except G-rods) that are comparable to the Boneheads....and Proangler is way down that list and not even on the shortlist, honestly, for numerous reasons, which I shall not reiterate here. So, if you have never purchased and seriously tried/used a Bonehead or G-rod, or custom rod, how can you or Ken (or anyone else) possibly understand what the poster is asking?

That said, this exchange has devolved enough from its original question, which I answered, as did others. So yall like Proangler rods because besides being decent rods, they support CAT and other good causes, I get that. Some of us prefer to find the best rod we can, for various reasons....and my reasons are many...

Jimmy, Ken, we all know each other, and like each other. We should keep it at that. So, yes, we can go fishing whenever, and fuss over electronics, rods, lines, hooks, or sodas, or the best color in the universe, just like the cantankerous old opinionated rascals we are. Later Tiger...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide