Print Thread
Belton for a few. #12725388 04/21/18 09:45 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
went to belton for a few hours, and caught a few fish. hadnt been in a bit due to the high wind, so went check a few of my spots that produced last year, but my records show it was around 2 feet over normal pool, this year its around 4 feet below NP. the spots that were in 18 to 21 feet are now 13 to 17. vacant! I went looking around and didnt find much on brush in 20 plus feet , but found that the fish are hanging on submerged vertical timber in 20 plus feet of water, suspended 8 to 15 feet down. . the straighter the timber, the better. The pattern i found, was pick the few aggressive fish off the timber then move on. The males havent become super aggressive yet . there were no eggs dribbling out of the females though they look quite developed. I think the next few weeks may be alot better fishing if the wind lays down. I was trying to get to the ramp before dark, and left my bouy on a nice set of timber, so if you spot a faded bouy around midlake, fish it! .next time out im going to start with 3 inch baits LFT baby shad. . as u see in the pics the big girls want a big shad. (see the one cent next to the shad).
I have a theory of why the fish are on this vertical timber but will wait to see if its what I think. all females had eggs and males slightly dark.

water is around 67 degrees F for those who care to know, because I dont.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Belton for a few. [Re: leanin post] #12725398 04/21/18 09:53 PM
C
CrappieXpress Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Ive can catch fish on brushpiles, cypress trees, docks, rocks and everything in between but for the life of me I cant seem to catch fish on standing dead timber and lake o the pines which is 25 minutes from my house is full of it.....

Re: Belton for a few. [Re: leanin post] #12725460 04/21/18 10:44 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
only certain timber will hold fish, look more at the contours on the bottom of the lake than at the timber itself. timber in front of shallow coves is usually good, because at night shad go into those shallow areas to feed and the crappie follow them. isolated timber patches on points, down the side of drops, ect. timber such as BOIS DI ARC, willow, tend to grow near creeks and river banks. the old creek bed may be only 1 foot deep and the crappie are relating to that slight variation, and the trees are there and just something for the crappie to relate to. when you fish timber, think of it in timber lines, because rarely is there just a tree or 2 growing somewhere incidentally. find old creek channels that used to or still do run into the lake, and follow those creeks, you will usually find lines of timber. remember this, many lakes were raised, 8, to 20 feet many years ago due to the needs to store more water, trees grew along old banklines, back before the lake level was raised, so now there are trees along there that are submerged. those arent particularly the ones im interested in though, its the ancient ones, that grew along the sides of the old creek channels and river banks, before many of these lakes were even created, they were just creeks and rivers and those creek beds and riverbeds are the highways and byways in the world of the fishies. The old osage orager trees last a long time, they are hard as stone. study old and new maps. you may see an area that says joeblows creek, yet you look on the bank and see no creek flowing into the lake, or where one would even be, but at one times, it was there, and flowed, and trees grew near it. this is what your looking for, because fish are likely still traveling up and down the creek bed. the crappie are lazy and dont go too far from where they feed, which I believe is primarily at night. the bigger fish tend to hang on standing timber, in limited numbers, but are worth the work. sometimes pitching timber is whats needed to make them bite. I think they spook easily around timber and easing up on it with your trolling motor is a good idea. using a 10 foot pole to quickly work timber helps. so to recap, the timber growing in or alongside the old creek and river channels is what your looking for, and isolated timber on points or drop offs. this is from my perspective, there are much better timber fisherman than myself.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Belton for a few. [Re: leanin post] #12725670 04/22/18 02:04 AM
J
Jaybonnett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Thats some good info! Ill keep that in mind next time Im out! Good fish!

Keep doin what youre doin, youll keep gettin what youre gettin.
Re: Belton for a few. [Re: leanin post] #12725802 04/22/18 04:32 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Belton for a few. [Re: leanin post] #12726036 04/22/18 03:26 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Great report! thought I missed out again this year

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Belton for a few. [Re: leanin post] #12727002 04/23/18 01:42 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: leanin post
only certain timber will hold fish, look more at the contours on the bottom of the lake than at the timber itself. timber in front of shallow coves is usually good, because at night shad go into those shallow areas to feed and the crappie follow them. isolated timber patches on points, down the side of drops, ect. timber such as BOIS DI ARC, willow, tend to grow near creeks and river banks. the old creek bed may be only 1 foot deep and the crappie are relating to that slight variation, and the trees are there and just something for the crappie to relate to. when you fish timber, think of it in timber lines, because rarely is there just a tree or 2 growing somewhere incidentally. find old creek channels that used to or still do run into the lake, and follow those creeks, you will usually find lines of timber. remember this, many lakes were raised, 8, to 20 feet many years ago due to the needs to store more water, trees grew along old banklines, back before the lake level was raised, so now there are trees along there that are submerged. those arent particularly the ones im interested in though, its the ancient ones, that grew along the sides of the old creek channels and river banks, before many of these lakes were even created, they were just creeks and rivers and those creek beds and riverbeds are the highways and byways in the world of the fishies. The old osage orager trees last a long time, they are hard as stone. study old and new maps. you may see an area that says joeblows creek, yet you look on the bank and see no creek flowing into the lake, or where one would even be, but at one times, it was there, and flowed, and trees grew near it. this is what your looking for, because fish are likely still traveling up and down the creek bed. the crappie are lazy and dont go too far from where they feed, which I believe is primarily at night. the bigger fish tend to hang on standing timber, in limited numbers, but are worth the work. sometimes pitching timber is whats needed to make them bite. I think they spook easily around timber and easing up on it with your trolling motor is a good idea. using a 10 foot pole to quickly work timber helps. so to recap, the timber growing in or alongside the old creek and river channels is what your looking for, and isolated timber on points or drop offs. this is from my perspective, there are much better timber fisherman than myself.

Hmph, and to think, Ken said you were just another pretty face! roflmao roflmao

That IS some pretty good info...you are only going to spook them off the timber in really shallow water, and if you do, they will usually return within 5 minutes...most of the time you will pick one, maybe two off of a tree before you have to move on, so keep moving...as you move look for the broken tree pieces (tops, major limbs) laying on bottom nearby and fish them, as well...that is where the fast limits are found...but DONT TELL ANYBODY! stir

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide